Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Axlfox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mistook a software update for a system update and now Im on 5.0

I tried using the DNS to block updates but for some reason it kept giving me an error when I tried using online features on games (and yes, I did connect to the Eshop before inputting the DNS)

So I guess my only hope is to wait for the hardmod huh?

nkdx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't own a switch yet, and apparently it is going to have a soc update that will fix security issues and will prevent me from hacking it. should i buy one right now super quick or are these news false?

HexZyle

Pretty Petty Pedant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't own a switch yet, and apparently it is going to have a soc update that will fix security issues and will prevent me from hacking it. should i buy one right now super quick or are these news false?

The news is almost definite, however it will take some time before current stock of exploitable Switches is sold out and the new SoC ones come in, we're talking a few weeks for high traffic areas and stores, and a few months for low traffic ones.

Even so, check in with the firmware x serial thread before buying to find some <4.1.0 serials so you know what numbers you're looking for.

Last edited by HexZyle,

Salazar-DE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When do we think we'll have a permanent backdoor installed on the Switch? One like Haxchii, a program installed that allows for homebrew access even after an update.

Do we have any idea whether that's being worked on or when we think that is likely to happen?

Or if that isn't being done, do we expect CFW to come out before that?

Figured I would ask these questions in the noob thread ;)

Thanks,
Salazar

HexZyle

Pretty Petty Pedant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
When do we think we'll have a permanent backdoor installed on the Switch? One like Haxchii, a program installed that allows for homebrew access even after an update.

Do we have any idea whether that's being worked on or when we think that is likely to happen?

Or if that isn't being done, do we expect CFW to come out before that?

Figured I would ask these questions in the noob thread ;)

Thanks,
Salazar

When talking about hax, no question of "when" will ever receive an accurate answer

Hotsuma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question. I'm planning on purchasing a Nintendo Switch and I was wondering if it's possible to buy the digital version of a game and save it to my Switch's SD Card? And what if I purchased the physical copy of a game and wanted to download it to my Switch's SD Card? Is that possible?

HexZyle

Pretty Petty Pedant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
With 5.0 out, can I still update to 4.1.0 without a game cart?
No, the servers don't let you choose what update you want, they just give you the latest.
Question. I'm planning on purchasing a Nintendo Switch and I was wondering if it's possible to buy the digital version of a game and save it to my Switch's SD Card? And what if I purchased the physical copy of a game and wanted to download it to my Switch's SD Card? Is that possible?
All digital versions of games are downloaded to the system memory or the SD Card.
All physical versions of games require the cartridge to be played.

Reactions: Hotsuma

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, the servers don't let you choose what update you want, they just give you the latest.
I thought there might have been a way for someone to host the 4.1.0 update and access it via the DNS settings. Kinda like how people do it on the PS Vita.

Hotsuma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

All digital versions of games are downloaded to the system memory or the SD Card.
All physical versions of games require the cartridge to be played.

Ok. Thanks for the info!

HexZyle

Pretty Petty Pedant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I thought there might have been a way for someone to host the 4.1.0 update and access it via the DNS settings. Kinda like how people do it on the PS Vita.
I haven't heard of anyone doing this yet. It wasn't done for 3DS so I assume that it's not really possible for the Switch either.

atrocious123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hi guys, just managed to get a switch on 4.1.0. I'm totally clueless about what to do now and i have not connected the switch to wifi. Wanted to be really sure of what to do first before i start so any help is appreciated.

1) What should i do first? I created just a random account to check cause it's a formatted switch. i've set it to US region with a random name. (It's not linked to any nintendo account or whatsoever as it's not connected to wifi)

2) Assuming, i would like to go online to download patches etc, what should i do now? or would you guys recommend me just stay offline as it is? One important thing would be, am i able to bring my save games from this account when i link this account with a nintendo account?

Edit: Would like to play BoTW and Mario Ody (Have not started).

Thanks for the help in advance, guys!

HexZyle

Pretty Petty Pedant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
1) What should i do first? I created just a random account to check cause it's a formatted switch. i've set it to US region with a random name. (It's not linked to any nintendo account or whatsoever as it's not connected to wifi)

You could set up some DNS settings to block updates, but it would be equally effective to turn on aeroplane mode and enable wireless controllers. With a Switch on 4.1.0 you can play all currently released physical games, albeit with an update nag for Kirby Star Allies.

2) Assuming, i would like to go online to download patches etc, what should i do now? or would you guys recommend me just stay offline as it is? One important thing would be, am i able to bring my save games from this account when i link this account with a nintendo account?

You are heavily restricted regarding Nintendo's online services (Downloading purchased games, updates, or DLC) without updating to the latest firmware version. (currently 5.0.0)
You may still browse the store without the latest firmware version but note that any purchases you make cannot be downloaded without the latest firmware.
Users have mixed reports on whether or not having the latest patch of a game allows it to play online without the latest firmware.
You can obtain game patches from another Switch if they are on the same firmware, and have a later game patch than you, via the match version feature (accessed by pressing + while a game is selected)
You will be asked to create a profile during the process of initializing the Switch. It does not require access to the internet, but it is what your save files are tied to. Later if you decide to make purchases, they will also be tied to this profile, and the saves and purchases will travel with it should you perform a system transfer.

Last edited by HexZyle,

JustBrandonT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Noob Question:

Where do I find the switch client certificate? IE: The SSL certificate used for pinning on the switch? OR is there a way to replace it?

atrocious123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
You could set up some DNS settings to block updates, but it would be equally effective to turn on aeroplane mode and enable wireless controllers. With a Switch on 4.1.0 you can play all currently released physical games, albeit with an update nag for Kirby Star Allies.

You are heavily restricted regarding Nintendo's online services (Downloading purchased games, updates, or DLC) without updating to the latest firmware version. (currently 5.0.0)
You may still browse the store without the latest firmware version but note that any purchases you make cannot be downloaded without the latest firmware.
Users have mixed reports on whether or not having the latest patch of a game allows it to play online without the latest firmware.
You can obtain game patches from another Switch if they are on the same firmware, and have a later game patch than you, via the match version feature (accessed by pressing + while a game is selected)
You will be asked to create a profile during the process of initializing the Switch. It does not require access to the internet, but it is what your save files are tied to. Later if you decide to make purchases, they will also be tied to this profile, and the saves and purchases will travel with it should you perform a system transfer.

Thanks, i don't think i will be playing anything online for now so i guess my safest way would remain as status quo and not touch anything?
Shall slowly enjoy BoTW and mario i guess. thanks again!

But is there anything that would affect my gameplay if i'm not online or greatly missing out on?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...