SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. HexZyle

HexZyle Pretty Petty Pedant

Sep 12, 2015
    Australia
    VinsCool likes this.
  2. VinsCool

VinsCool Absconditus

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
  3. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    Anyone know what level of system control will be required to take advantage of a bootrom exploit? (None, userland, kernel, Trustzone?)

4. sammy1019

sammy1019 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 4, 2009
    United States
    If I just always have airplane mode on will that prevent updates from occurring

5. SuinkaiVS

SuinkaiVS GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2017
    Inside Hombrew
    yes

6. vegeta18

vegeta18 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 30, 2012
    Canada
    is it possible to play back up games yet? If not do you think there will be in the future?

7. HexZyle

Sep 12, 2015
    Australia
    Nope and probably

8. Axlfox

Axlfox Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2016
    United States
    I mistook a software update for a system update and now Im on 5.0

I tried using the DNS to block updates but for some reason it kept giving me an error when I tried using online features on games (and yes, I did connect to the Eshop before inputting the DNS)

So I guess my only hope is to wait for the hardmod huh?

9. nkdx

nkdx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2017
    France
    I don't own a switch yet, and apparently it is going to have a soc update that will fix security issues and will prevent me from hacking it. should i buy one right now super quick or are these news false?

10. HexZyle

Sep 12, 2015
    Australia
    The news is almost definite, however it will take some time before current stock of exploitable Switches is sold out and the new SoC ones come in, we're talking a few weeks for high traffic areas and stores, and a few months for low traffic ones.

Even so, check in with the firmware x serial thread before buying to find some <4.1.0 serials so you know what numbers you're looking for.

Last edited by HexZyle, Mar 15, 2018
  11. Salazar-DE

Salazar-DE Member

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    When do we think we'll have a permanent backdoor installed on the Switch? One like Haxchii, a program installed that allows for homebrew access even after an update.

Do we have any idea whether that's being worked on or when we think that is likely to happen?

Or if that isn't being done, do we expect CFW to come out before that?

Figured I would ask these questions in the noob thread ;)

Thanks,
    Salazar

12. HexZyle

Sep 12, 2015
    Australia
    When talking about hax, no question of "when" will ever receive an accurate answer

13. Rune

Rune GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2017
    With 5.0 out, can I still update to 4.1.0 without a game cart?

14. Hotsuma

Hotsuma Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2017
    United States
    Question. I'm planning on purchasing a Nintendo Switch and I was wondering if it's possible to buy the digital version of a game and save it to my Switch's SD Card? And what if I purchased the physical copy of a game and wanted to download it to my Switch's SD Card? Is that possible?

15. HexZyle

Sep 12, 2015
    Australia
    No, the servers don't let you choose what update you want, they just give you the latest.
    All digital versions of games are downloaded to the system memory or the SD Card.
    All physical versions of games require the cartridge to be played.

Hotsuma likes this.
  16. Rune

Rune GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2017
    I thought there might have been a way for someone to host the 4.1.0 update and access it via the DNS settings. Kinda like how people do it on the PS Vita.

17. Hotsuma

Hotsuma Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2017
    United States
    Ok. Thanks for the info!

18. HexZyle

Sep 12, 2015
    Australia
    I haven't heard of anyone doing this yet. It wasn't done for 3DS so I assume that it's not really possible for the Switch either.

19. atrocious123

atrocious123 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2015
    Senegal
    Hi guys, just managed to get a switch on 4.1.0. I'm totally clueless about what to do now and i have not connected the switch to wifi. Wanted to be really sure of what to do first before i start so any help is appreciated.

1) What should i do first? I created just a random account to check cause it's a formatted switch. i've set it to US region with a random name. (It's not linked to any nintendo account or whatsoever as it's not connected to wifi)

2) Assuming, i would like to go online to download patches etc, what should i do now? or would you guys recommend me just stay offline as it is? One important thing would be, am i able to bring my save games from this account when i link this account with a nintendo account?

Edit: Would like to play BoTW and Mario Ody (Have not started).

Thanks for the help in advance, guys!

20. HexZyle

Sep 12, 2015
    Australia
    You could set up some DNS settings to block updates, but it would be equally effective to turn on aeroplane mode and enable wireless controllers. With a Switch on 4.1.0 you can play all currently released physical games, albeit with an update nag for Kirby Star Allies.

You are heavily restricted regarding Nintendo's online services (Downloading purchased games, updates, or DLC) without updating to the latest firmware version. (currently 5.0.0)
    You may still browse the store without the latest firmware version but note that any purchases you make cannot be downloaded without the latest firmware.
    Users have mixed reports on whether or not having the latest patch of a game allows it to play online without the latest firmware.
    You can obtain game patches from another Switch if they are on the same firmware, and have a later game patch than you, via the match version feature (accessed by pressing + while a game is selected)
    You will be asked to create a profile during the process of initializing the Switch. It does not require access to the internet, but it is what your save files are tied to. Later if you decide to make purchases, they will also be tied to this profile, and the saves and purchases will travel with it should you perform a system transfer.

Last edited by HexZyle, Mar 19, 2018
    sorabora and atrocious123 like this.