Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi again,

I still have one unanswered question, I cannot find a definitive answer even after searching here and googling around. It is about the gamecard reader.

Since I am going to update my clean (hopefully) sysNAND to 17.0.0 (now it sits at 2.3.0) in order to play my legit games and go online, I do not understand if this will *in any way* update my gamecard reader or if there is a way to avoid that. Or anyway if I should even bother with that, also since I will need to be able to read the physical games I have bought :)

My current situation is: I surely updated it once, when I installed OS 5.x with ReiNX some years ago, in fact now on 2.3.0 it does not work.

I read the table here: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/extras/updating/ and so I believe that there are more updates waiting, but I cannot find any informations about any way to avoid that (i.e. does it upgrade while installing new firmware or the OS itself does it after boot?). Also it would be useful to know, if that was possible, if I could still read gamecards with the latest OS but without updating it.

I hope that my question makes sense :)

Thank you
If you're updating your sysMMC from 2.3 all the way to 17.0, there are several cartridge reader updates in between. Whether you want to update your cartridge reader or not depends on what is more important to you; the usefulness of being able to play your retail carts on 17.0 or the advantage of not having an updated cartridge reader. And currently, the only reason to not update your cartridge reader is if a future exploit such as an untethered coldboot requires an unupdated cartridge reader. If that prospect is not enticing enough for you, then you don't need to worry about irreversibly updating your cartridge reader. For the most part, a lot of people don't care. In my opinion, I think it makes sense. Even in the hypothetical scenario where a better exploit is released that necessitates the use of a cartridge reader that hasn't been updated, that also assumes you have a cartridge or something similar to make use of the exploit. The most likely scenario would be a specific game that would allow users to load the hack but that would involve buying said game which may even become scarce if such a hack were to be released. Therefore I think its fair to update your cartridge reader. But if you want to retain the ability to load cartridges on lower firmware versions in case a superior exploit is released in the future, then you will have to use the nogc patch to disable the cartridge reader on higher firmware versions in order to prevent it from being updated.

desgrassia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you're updating your sysMMC from 2.3 all the way to 17.0, there are several cartridge reader updates in between.
[...]

Fair enough. I also am now in the spirit of thinking that I should just do what makes me enjoy my switch the most now and for the nearest future :)

Also, having already updated it once, it might already be past the point where it is no more exploitable (if ever it will be), so there even might be no reason to overthink all the thing.

Just for the sake of having more knowledge of what I am doing, do you know if the update is applied at time of firmware upgrade or if it is done when the reader is actually being used?

And thank you again for helping me understand (almost) everything I am doing. So I will not need to come back to this thread in future for upgrades and whatever. Or maybe I will be able to be one giving some answers instead of just making questions :)

Reactions: Blythe93

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough. I also am now in the spirit of thinking that I should just do what makes me enjoy my switch the most now and for the nearest future :)

Also, having already updated it once, it might already be past the point where it is no more exploitable (if ever it will be), so there even might be no reason to overthink all the thing.

Just for the sake of having more knowledge of what I am doing, do you know if the update is applied at time of firmware upgrade or if it is done when the reader is actually being used?

And thank you again for helping me understand (almost) everything I am doing. So I will not need to come back to this thread in future for upgrades and whatever. Or maybe I will be able to be one giving some answers instead of just making questions :)
Its done at the same time the fuses are burnt which is usually by the time you see the Nintendo logo.

Dzoni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Which is best way to update atmosphere and hekate. Should I merge folders or delete them completly and copy new files. Also how to keep contents folder if I completly remove atmosphere files since I had cheats for games in contents folder.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is best way to update atmosphere and hekate. Should I merge folders or delete them completly and copy new files. Also how to keep contents folder if I completly remove atmosphere files since I had cheats for games in contents folder.

You are better off deleting old atmosphere and hekate files and replace with new one. Content folder wise you can copy off to a different location and test what work with newer version of Atmosphere.

Dzoni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
You are better off deleting old atmosphere and hekate files and replace with new one. Content folder wise you can copy off to a different location and test what work with newer version of Atmosphere.
Are there any folders inside atmosphere and hekate that I should also copy to another location to save configs

Lucalulu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is for my European gang. I’m struggling to find an RCM loader to buy, I could only find a few shipping from China and that’s about it. Can someone please let me know where to look?

HardMind

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, when i enter launch option in hekate v6.0.2 I find only CFW (V1) - CFW (V2) both lead me to EmuNand.
How i can go to custom original Nand from there ?
I remember there was an option lead to there in older version.

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
This is for my European gang. I’m struggling to find an RCM loader to buy, I could only find a few shipping from China and that’s about it. Can someone please let me know where to look?
While these loaders are surely handy, if you have an Android phone with OTG support you can send your payload via Rekado. It's probably much more reliable than all those RCM Loader clones that are being sold right now. If you do not have an Android phone, there are quite a few alternatives here.

Lucalulu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While these loaders are surely handy, if you have an Android phone with OTG support you can send your payload via. It's probably much more reliable than all those RCM Loader clones that are being sold right now. If you do not have an Android phone, there are quite a few alternatives
Unfortunately I don’t have an android phone. I do have a jailbroken apple touch, could that work? I’m just looking for an easy way to inject payloads on the go since I travel often.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately I don’t have an android phone. I do have a jailbroken apple touch, could that work? I’m just looking for an easy way to inject payloads on the go since I travel often.

The one being sold on Aliexpress are clone, so it is hard to find an original RCM Loader or Atmosphere NX dongle.

mikey1armstrong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Last edited by mikey1armstrong,

Lucalulu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The one being sold on Aliexpress are clone, so it is hard to find an original RCM Loader or Atmosphere NX dongle.
Ok thanks for letting me know, I’ll do without for now
Post automatically merged:

I also wanted to ask something regarding my serial no. If “ismyswitchpatched” says that my switch is not patched, should I test before hacking or can I go ahead with it?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thanks for letting me know, I’ll do without for now
Post automatically merged:

I also wanted to ask something regarding my serial no. If “ismyswitchpatched” says that my switch is not patched, should I test before hacking or can I go ahead with it?

You should get a rcm jig if you don't have one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was listening to the Ice T Iceberg CD other day, good stuff
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    i concur
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    power is my fave tho, masterpiece
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still waiting on that new ll album
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    steve miller band got me into rock from folk and country
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    fly like an eagle
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You guys ever heard of group out of detroit called "Top Authority"? They were good too.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guess this is the power of genres they make you talk about other artists
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    What are you guys talking about?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hamsters
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People that do drugs
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I been listening to a f-ton of jrock and jpop lately
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    mainly a lot of go!go! and cibo matto
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    and old ass prog like atomic rooster and gentle giant
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lil' hamster yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Big hamster yawn
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stop stealing his sayings
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, svebe
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sometimes when I poop I just think that's it?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The worst is when its a dry poop, then you spend 20 minutes and ha!f a roll of TP wiping. Its like wiping TP over a magic marker, just won't stop showing.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, or diarrhea
    +2
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :shit: is :shit: