Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. I have been away from the hacking scene for a while, and want to update my hackable switch so I can play Zelda ToTK gamecart version. Currently, my hackable Switch sits at FW 15.0.1. Is there a guide I can follow to update everything (hekate, atmosphere, system firmware, etc.)? Also, is there a specific order to update everything in? Help greatly appreciated :)

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. I have been away from the hacking scene for a while, and want to update my hackable switch so I can play Zelda ToTK gamecart version. Currently, my hackable Switch sits at FW 15.0.1. Is there a guide I can follow to update everything (hekate, atmosphere, system firmware, etc.)? Also, is there a specific order to update everything in? Help greatly appreciated :)
The base game requires firmware 15.0.1 so technically, you don't need to update anything in order to play it.

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The base game requires firmware 15.0.1 so technically, you don't need to update anything in order to play it.
wow, thanks you so much draxzelex? I am concerned because last time I updated my hackable switch, I had to update to latest to use gamecard slot?

Last edited by Skeet1983,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow, thanks you so much draxzelex? I am concerned because last time I updated my hackable switch, I had to update to latest to use gamecard slot?
I suppose there is one here although I wonder if there is a replacement since the repo is set to archive-only. At any rate, unless the cartridge comes pre-loaded with a firmware higher than your current firmware of 15.0.1, you shouldn't need to update the console.

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose there is one here although I wonder if there is a replacement since the repo is set to archive-only. At any rate, unless the cartridge comes pre-loaded with a firmware higher than your current firmware of 15.0.1, you shouldn't need to update the console.
Thanks for the help and info! Do you think there is a high chance of game cart being perloaded with higher firmware than I am on?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help and info! Do you think there is a high chance of game cart being perloaded with higher firmware than I am on?
Not sure as even cartridges that come with the same game can come pre-loaded with different firmware versions. It all depends on when the cartridge was manufactured which can be estimated on when you bought it with respect to when the game came out. Either way, there's no better way to find out than testing the cartridge itself. The Switch won't automatically update even if it does require a higher firmware.

Bane100

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hi, just got a modded switch. I've read of different ways to install games like awoo, dbi, tinwoo, etc. Is there a recommended app to use or there is no advantage to choosing a particular one. Also is using install via lan/network compared to USB significantly slower on any cons? Thanks.

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Hi, just got a modded switch. I've read of different ways to install games like awoo, dbi, tinwoo, etc. Is there a recommended app to use or there is no advantage to choosing a particular one. Also is using install via lan/network compared to USB significantly slower on any cons? Thanks.
I personally use DBI installer, but it's just a matter of preference I guess. Since I'm using DBI, I usually connect my Switch to the PC and install the games via USB cable. No issues whatsoever.

greenchili

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a quick question and I'll probably have more. I discovered that my switch was an unpatched model. So I followed a tutorial so that I could run homebrew through Atmosphere. For the most part everything is hunky dory. I have it set up with and use a EmuMMC (partition) right now.

When I'm done I've been swapping out the SD card with my usual SD card and just shutting down/restarting the switch. Well today I forgot to switch the SD cards and when the Switch rebooted it said that the SD card was bad and that it would erase the bad data/partition and then reboot. :blink: Luckily I noticed that and removed the card before it did anything bad.

I've also noticed that when I put the SD card in my PC when I want to manually copy stuff over the Windows 10 complains about drive D: being bad and wanting to format it. Luckily that message is easy enough to avoid. Drive E: shows up fine.. this is the normal FAT32 partition.

Anywho... is there a way I can stop this? The last thing I need it to be b0rking my setup because the switch decides to be smart for me. :mellow:

Last edited by greenchili,

naldo29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i broke the cld connector on my old motherboard and I'm trying to replace it, been looking around and I found a couple of listings but its for the normal switch. Does it also work on the oled or is it only for the normal switch?

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I've also noticed that when I put the SD card in my PC when I want to manually copy stuff over the Windows 10 complains about drive D: being bad and wanting to format it. Luckily that message is easy enough to avoid. Drive E: shows up fine.. this is the normal FAT32 partition.
That's probably your emuMMC hidden partition that Windows is complaining about. Do not format it and just close the window! Otherwise, you'll mess up your emuMMC partition.

Once you partition your microSD card, it should appear as two drives once you connect it to the PC. One of those can be accessed without any problem whatsoever and that's the one you should use for your homebrew apps and stuff.

greenchili

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah thanks.. I figured as that much. Luckily in windows it's easier to avoid accidently formatting it. I'm more concerned about the issue on the Switch end.

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Howdy, so... yeah, now I'm suffering from this problem that seems more widespread since 2019.
Brief recap:

• Act 1: I update my Nintendo Switch to latest Atmosphere 1.6.2, Hekate to 6.0.7, and FW to 17.0.0 ALL IN EMUMMC (I don't touch the sysMMC since I bought the console already banned). Also, I update sys-patch and sigpatches before begining the process to avoid any error.
  • Act 2: The console errors, and I face a fucking "Failed to apply ‘nosigchk’!" error while restarting. I update again sigpatches et voila, the console now turns on, but now I cannot run any fucking software aside from Super Mario Bros. Wonder, since every game now loops on the "Checking whether this software can be played" error.
  • Act 3: I update again everything: Atmosphere, Hekate, sigpatches (again), I unlink and relink my profiles to fake NNIDs, even do clean installs of everything, and nothing works.
Does anybody knows what could I do now?

Nipi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi all!

I have a modchipped Switch Oled, with Atmosphere 1.6.2, Hekate 6.0.7 and Firmware 16.1.0. Everything works well, but I have the feeling I didn't format my SD card properly. It's a 256GB one, but the system settings who I can only use roughly 50GB of the card.

Hence, I would like to reformat the SD card and start over. Ideally without losing my saves, but to be honest, that's not my biggest worry, as I've just started playing one game.

My main question thus would be if I can just format the SD card using guiformat.exe. Then, after adding the required files back to the SD card, recreate my emuMMC in Hekate. And if so, what settings are suggested to use to leverage the SD card size as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for your support :)

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a quick question and I'll probably have more. I discovered that my switch was an unpatched model. So I followed a tutorial so that I could run homebrew through Atmosphere. For the most part everything is hunky dory. I have it set up with and use a EmuMMC (partition) right now.

When I'm done I've been swapping out the SD card with my usual SD card and just shutting down/restarting the switch. Well today I forgot to switch the SD cards and when the Switch rebooted it said that the SD card was bad and that it would erase the bad data/partition and then reboot. :blink: Luckily I noticed that and removed the card before it did anything bad.

Anywho... is there a way I can stop this? The last thing I need it to be b0rking my setup because the switch decides to be smart for me. :mellow:
There is a way to stop this, which I strongly suggest... stop inserting or removing the SD card from your Switch. The SD slot is known to be flaky on the Switch. You wouldn't want to break it. So just leave the SD card alone, and do all your file transfers through Hekate and a USB cable. I haven't ejected my SD card from my Switch in years, literally.

Myst0gan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Checking whether this software can be played" error.
I get that too, I just let the system do it's check and repair, after that the message pops again, I close everything then relaunch whatever app I wanted to open and it runs without any problem.

Lucalulu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone! I do apologise in advance for my total lack of knowledge, but I hope to get useful tips. I’m about to buy a v1 Switch, I’ve already checked the serial no and it seems like it’s unpatched. I tried to look online, and on this forum, to work out what’s the best way for me to mod it and I got very confused since there’s a lot of ways and firmwares to choose from. I was wondering if someone could tell me what’s the best (and easiest since I’m a total noob) to mod my Switch in order to freely download and play games. If my terminology is poor, I’m sorry, if I mentioned something that can’t be talked about in this forum, I kindly ask the moderators to delete my post. I appreciate in advance any help you guys can give me. Lots of love x

Morricorne

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi everyone! I do apologise in advance for my total lack of knowledge, but I hope to get useful tips. I’m about to buy a v1 Switch, I’ve already checked the serial no and it seems like it’s unpatched. I tried to look online, and on this forum, to work out what’s the best way for me to mod it and I got very confused since there’s a lot of ways and firmwares to choose from. I was wondering if someone could tell me what’s the best (and easiest since I’m a total noob) to mod my Switch in order to freely download and play games. If my terminology is poor, I’m sorry, if I mentioned something that can’t be talked about in this forum, I kindly ask the moderators to delete my post. I appreciate in advance any help you guys can give me. Lots of love x
Everything what you need is here. Simple guides.
https://rentry.org/SwitchHackingIsEasy
For installing games i use DBI and exfat 128gb USB C Drive. Of course you need games downloaded before just start install them. DBI support NSP/XCI and many other files. Its best fastest way to install games on hacked switch. You can find all the necessary information in the link I sent you

Reactions: Blythe93

Lucalulu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Everything what you need is here. Simple guides.
For installing games i use DBI and exfat 128gb USB C Drive. Of course you need games downloaded before just start install them. DBI support NSP/XCI and many other files. Its best fastest way to install games on hacked switch. You can find all the necessary information in the link I sent you
Fantastic, thanks for replying. Basically my best bet is to follow the steps in “Set up Atmosphere with EmuNAND on Erista (Unpatched)”, correct? I also want to confirm which jig I should buy, a link for a good one would be massively appreciated. Stupid question, once my Switch is ready to go and I managed to mod and install games, will I be required to repeat certain steps in the future? Such as launching payloads etc?

Reactions: Blythe93

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, fine i guess