Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Taquito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got an IPATCHED Switch and I succesfully used PegaScape (WiFi Auth.) and injected Fake News.
When using PegaScape through WiFi Authentication Promt, you are warned to not get a supernag.

Do I also have to worry about getting a supernag using PegaScape through Fake News?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, I saw that one, though I was mainly avoiding it because it doesn't tell you how to create an emuMMC
Then it is fine to follow the first guide you linked although the first one has its own set of files to download.

I've got an IPATCHED Switch and I succesfully used PegaScape (WiFi Auth.) and injected Fake News.
When using PegaScape through WiFi Authentication Promt, you are warned to not get a supernag.

Do I also have to worry about getting a supernag using PegaScape through Fake News?
Unless you are on 1.0, you have to use Pegascape to load Fake News. And you cannot use Pegascape if your console receives the supernag.

Fraugran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What technically counts as "being online"? Is it as far as having a WiFi connection capable of accessing e-shop on emunand(but not going on it) or is there some leniency ?

jucaa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When AutoRCM is enabled, the Switch requires a method of injecting Payloads to get to the home screen, but it can enter RCM without having to "bridge" the connection on the right Joy-Con rail with a really cheap RCM Jig that can be purchased for $5 or less, or RCM methods.
But what is this other method of injecting payload?
What is the standard on the scene, use AutoRCM or not?

Additionally, in case i decide to not use autorcm and use a jig, everytime i turn on the console i would have to use the jig right?
In that case, wouldnt the joycon rail become damaged over time?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What technically counts as "being online"? Is it as far as having a WiFi connection capable of accessing e-shop on emunand(but not going on it) or is there some leniency ?
Going online is typically having the console connected to the Internet without blocking any Nintendo-related domains.

But what is this other method of injecting payload?
What is the standard on the scene, use AutoRCM or not?

Additionally, in case i decide to not use autorcm and use a jig, everytime i turn on the console i would have to use the jig right?
In that case, wouldnt the joycon rail become damaged over time?
What he was trying to say is that with AutoRCM, you need to send a payload in order to use the console whereas without AutoRCM, you can use the console without sending a payload but in order to use CFW, you need to send a payload and use a jig. Currently, AutoRCM is up to the user to use because it has both advantages and disadvantages. Regardless of whether or not you use AutoRCM, long term use of a jig can damage your rail however that will depend upon the quality of the jig and how much force you use when inserting it.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, thanks for the help.

One more question, what are the differences between nsp and xci?
.NSP is the format for digital content such as updates and DLC while .XCI files are copies of Nintendo Switch cartridges.

noob here, what modifies the Sysnand instead of the Emunand? Does a homebrew like Edizon modify the sysnand?
Anything that modifies emuMMC modifies sysMMC. EdiZon can modify save files which are stored in the internal memory so by extension, EdiZon can modify the sysMMC as well as the emuMMC.

jucaa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to see if i got everything right.

Not using auto rcm, every time i turn on my console i will have to use the jig, and also use a method of injecting the payload. If thats the case, what is the most practical method of injecting the payload everytime for someone who pretends to play outside the house.
Or just using the jig is enough?

Last edited by jucaa,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to see if i got everything right.

Not using auto rcm, every time i turn on my console i will have to use the jig, and also use a method of injecting the payload.
Or just using the jig is enough?
Lets start from zero. The exploit is known as Fusee Gelee. It involves a stack overflow that is caused by sending a payload via USB while the console is in RCM. You can achieve RCM with a jig that shorts pin 10 on the right Joy-Con rail then turning the console on while holding volume + or you can enable AutoRCM which "bricks" the console so that it AUTOmatically boots into RCM (with a name like AutoRCM, it should giveaway what it does exactly). To send a payload, you need another device hooked via USB such as a phone or computer or a dongle/modchip that is specifically designed for sending payloads. Without booting into RCM and sending a payload, Fusee Gelee will not work.

jucaa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lets start from zero. The exploit is known as Fusee Gelee. It involves a stack overflow that is caused by sending a payload via USB while the console is in RCM. You can achieve RCM with a jig that shorts pin 10 on the right Joy-Con rail then turning the console on while holding volume + or you can enable AutoRCM which "bricks" the console so that it AUTOmatically boots into RCM (with a name like AutoRCM, it should giveaway what it does exactly). To send a payload, you need another device hooked via USB such as a phone or computer or a dongle/modchip that is specifically designed for sending payloads. Without booting into RCM and sending a payload, Fusee Gelee will not work.
Ah ok, now i got it, so just entering RCM is not enough, i would also need a dongle (or pc/phone) to inject the payload and make it work.
Any specific dongle i have to use? Or any usb c (with the payload in it) does the trick?

Last edited by jucaa,

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Ah ok, now i got it, so just entering RCM is not enough, i would also need a dongle (or pc/phone) to inject the payload and make it work.
Any specific dongle i have to use? Or any usb c (with the payload in it) does the trick?
There are many dongles out there. Personally, I use RCMLoader One and it works fine.

Datmonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The advantage of a lower firmware is that these are more vulnerable to exploits than higher firmware versions so if a better exploit is released in the future, such as untethered coldboot, there are better chances it will be released on the lower firmware versions. The disadvantages of updating normally means you may be stuck using Fusee Gelee for the rest of your console's lifespan as a means to boot CFW. If you are content with this, you can burn fuses and update normally. However since it is so easy to avoid burning fuses while updating and that there are no advantages to burning fuses, I recommend you to update without burning fuses.

Ok thanks for your reply, I guess I will go down the "update-EmuNAND route".

Now I just want to make sure that I am doing this correctly, I have watched a few guides on "SX OS Guides" Youtube channel. Are these steps correct?

1. Boot into SX OS menu, choose options, then create EmuNAND as "hidden partition on SD Card" - Questions: I have a 200GB SD Card - this will automatically format it right? What format will it do, exFAT? Will all available space of 200GB (minus the install) be available as internal storage on the EmuNAND? So that I can install NSPs to "system memory", but this will in reality be on the SD card while in EmuNAND mode?

2. Make a backup copy of EmuNAND - how do I do this? Just copy all the folders from the microSD card to the PC?

3. Use ChoiDujourNX while in EmuNAND to update it to 8.1.0 - Questions: Choose to upgrade to 8.1.0 as exFAT and check prevent fuse burning (enable AutoRCM) right? Will AutoRCM really be enabled while using SX OS? I have read some old posts saying that AutoRCM won't be enabled while using this method with SX OS, but I still won't burn fuses, is this true?

---> Win? OFW will be on 5.x and EmuNAND on 8.1.0 without fuses burnt?

TWilliamson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Relatively long post:
Can someone provide an explanation to my solution?
I have always been able to install NSPs fine via Goldleaf. One particular NSP kept giving me the 'missing NCA (could mean missing sigpatches or too low firmware). I have sigpatches because i could install every other NSP (including the update to this non-working one) and I am on 8.1. I tried downloading the NSP from different sources but still same problem. I tried EVERY version of Goldleaf but still nothing. Because I've had problems with archive bits in the past after using MacOS, I have always since used Windows to transfer any files (but I was USB installing anyway because I have FAT32 and the NSP was larger than 4GB). I then tried unticking 'ready for archive' in Windows in every folder EXCEPT nintendo folder - still not working. My solution: visit SDSetup and redownload the Kosmos pack. I then copied over the extracted folders (except the Atmosphere folder) and then when I tried to install the same NSP it worked... Can someone please provide an explanation just so I know how to spot the same issue in the future?!?! (Again, it was just this one particular NSP, I didn't have issues with other NSPs).

LuigiXL

Trophies
XP
Country
Do exfat Switch MicroSD cards not play well with Mac/OSX? I have been trying for ages to restore a checkpoint save but it just doesnt show up, now i see in SX Installer the folder that contains the save isnt a folder icon like others (made fresh on the Switch). Is there a workaround or shall I make Windows bootcamp? Thanks!

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Do exfat Switch MicroSD cards not play well with Mac/OSX? I have been trying for ages to restore a checkpoint save but it just doesnt show up, now i see in SX Installer the folder that contains the save isnt a folder icon like others (made fresh on the Switch). Is there a workaround or shall I make Windows bootcamp? Thanks!
You shouldn’t use exFAT on your switch.

Reactions: LuigiXL

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All dongles should be using USB-C.

Ok thanks for your reply, I guess I will go down the "update-EmuNAND route".

Now I just want to make sure that I am doing this correctly, I have watched a few guides on "SX OS Guides" Youtube channel. Are these steps correct?

1. Boot into SX OS menu, choose options, then create EmuNAND as "hidden partition on SD Card" - Questions: I have a 200GB SD Card - this will automatically format it right? What format will it do, exFAT? Will all available space of 200GB (minus the install) be available as internal storage on the EmuNAND? So that I can install NSPs to "system memory", but this will in reality be on the SD card while in EmuNAND mode?

2. Make a backup copy of EmuNAND - how do I do this? Just copy all the folders from the microSD card to the PC?

3. Use ChoiDujourNX while in EmuNAND to update it to 8.1.0 - Questions: Choose to upgrade to 8.1.0 as exFAT and check prevent fuse burning (enable AutoRCM) right? Will AutoRCM really be enabled while using SX OS? I have read some old posts saying that AutoRCM won't be enabled while using this method with SX OS, but I still won't burn fuses, is this true?

---> Win? OFW will be on 5.x and EmuNAND on 8.1.0 without fuses burnt?
  1. Yes, it will format the card if you choose to do the partition-based method. I am not sure which format it defaults to but I think it partitions 32 GB for EmuNAND meaning this will be your internal storage. The rest will be SD card space
  2. If you are going down the partition route, you will need to make an image of the SD card to have a copy of EmuNAND
  3. You do not need to enable AutoRCM when using ChoiDujourNX to update EmuNAND. Enabling it is harmless but also useless because you can only boot into EmuNAND with a payload. Also enabling AutoRCM when using ChoiDujourNX to update EmuNAND will not enable it in SysNAND. This may be what those posts are referring to. You should also be aware that using ChoiDujourNX to update SysNAND can enable AutoRCM even if you are using SX OS

Relatively long post:
Can someone provide an explanation to my solution?
I have always been able to install NSPs fine via Goldleaf. One particular NSP kept giving me the 'missing NCA (could mean missing sigpatches or too low firmware). I have sigpatches because i could install every other NSP (including the update to this non-working one) and I am on 8.1. I tried downloading the NSP from different sources but still same problem. I tried EVERY version of Goldleaf but still nothing. Because I've had problems with archive bits in the past after using MacOS, I have always since used Windows to transfer any files (but I was USB installing anyway because I have FAT32 and the NSP was larger than 4GB). I then tried unticking 'ready for archive' in Windows in every folder EXCEPT nintendo folder - still not working. My solution: visit SDSetup and redownload the Kosmos pack. I then copied over the extracted folders (except the Atmosphere folder) and then when I tried to install the same NSP it worked... Can someone please provide an explanation just so I know how to spot the same issue in the future?!?! (Again, it was just this one particular NSP, I didn't have issues with other NSPs).
There may have been a version of Goldleaf on the SDSetup website that you didn't try yourself manually.

Datmonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
  1. Yes, it will format the card if you choose to do the partition-based method. I am not sure which format it defaults to but I think it partitions 32 GB for EmuNAND meaning this will be your internal storage. The rest will be SD card space
  2. If you are going down the partition route, you will need to make an image of the SD card to have a copy of EmuNAND
  3. You do not need to enable AutoRCM when using ChoiDujourNX to update EmuNAND. Enabling it is harmless but also useless because you can only boot into EmuNAND with a payload. Also enabling AutoRCM when using ChoiDujourNX to update EmuNAND will not enable it in SysNAND. This may be what those posts are referring to. You should also be aware that using ChoiDujourNX to update SysNAND can enable AutoRCM even if you are using SX OS

Awesome reply thanks!
I have some follow-up questions to these points:
1. Is there a way to use FAT32 as the format so that I can safely use emulators? I am thinking now that SX Installer 2.0 can install XCI files, is it possible to load XCI files on to a USB device, and choose to install them via SX Installer to the FAT32 SD card? I.e. can I have the best of both worlds? (FAT32 for homebrew support and still have large games installed?)
2. Is it enough to drag and drop the files from SD Card or should I use a tool such as Win32DiskImager to create a complete image?
3. Ah ok I think I understand now, and because I am only updating the EmuNAND I don't have to worry about fuses anyway? The "prevent fuse burning" is only for when updating the real SysNAND?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome reply thanks!
I have some follow-up questions to these points:
1. Is there a way to use FAT32 as the format so that I can safely use emulators? I am thinking now that SX Installer 2.0 can install XCI files, is it possible to load XCI files on to a USB device, and choose to install them via SX Installer to the FAT32 SD card? I.e. can I have the best of both worlds? (FAT32 for homebrew support and still have large games installed?)
2. Is it enough to drag and drop the files from SD Card or should I use a tool such as Win32DiskImager to create a complete image?
3. Ah ok I think I understand now, and because I am only updating the EmuNAND I don't have to worry about fuses anyway? The "prevent fuse burning" is only for when updating the real SysNAND?
  1. You can do that or split the .XCI files
  2. If you are using the partition-based method, there are no files to drag and drop. You have to create an image of the SD card
  3. Correct, you cannot burn fuses with EmuNAND but you can burn fuses with SysNAND

Reactions: LuigiXL

Datmonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
  1. You can do that or split the .XCI files
  2. If you are using the partition-based method, there are no files to drag and drop. You have to create an image of the SD card
  3. Correct, you cannot burn fuses with EmuNAND but you can burn fuses with SysNAND

Ok thank you for answering all the questions!

Reactions: Draxzelex

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/5eLWoy0fFkc?si=1vvQ_2zAUlF1ThoD