SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Bans are handed out much more commonly on the Switch and for all types of hacks from piracy, regardless if you own the backups or not, to homebrew, such as save management and emulators.

2. Switchfan456

Switchfan456 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2018
    United States
    Ok thx time to buy me a new switch

3. Matchitza

Matchitza Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 27, 2017
    Indonesia
    Any precautions I should take before installing Atmosphere? I have ReiNX installed with its AutoRCM on, should I turn that off before I start?

4. shanefromoz

shanefromoz GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 18, 2007
    Australia
    Can someone please explain the easiest way to convert .nsp files to .xci.
    I have seen a few options but they are a little confusing.
    Thanks

5. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    "Installing" Atmosphere just involves putting a folder named Atmosphere on your SD card then using a payload to load it. And if you have AutoRCM enabled from the toolkit, I see no reason why you would wish to disable it prior to loading Atmosphere.
    XCI Builder is currently the only tool that convert anything to .XCI format.

6. shanefromoz

shanefromoz GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 18, 2007
    Australia
    Hi Draxzelex i saw that but its a little confusing. Could you please explain for me

7. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    I've never used .XCI builder nor do I have any intentions on doing so because I don't have an SX OS license and if I want to convert anything, I prefer the .NSP format since all CFW support it.

shanefromoz likes this.
  8. jafc1
    This message by jafc1 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Oct 20, 2018, Reason: Dupe.
    Oct 20, 2018
  9. Kohmei

Kohmei GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    Does the Switch have some master manifest of the current versions of all software? I installed a bunch of games with Tinfoil and half of them are nagging me that there's an update available. I even installed an update for many of them using an update file. Did I do something wrong?

10. randomgbanoob123

randomgbanoob123 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2018
    United States
    The Linux build, it's arm based right? Is there some way to run Factorio on it? Via wine emulator or something?

11. Wanap

Wanap Member

Newcomer
    Oct 19, 2018
    Finland
    I see. If I use choidujournx to get the exfat support, it enables autorcm by default right? is it wise to disable autorcm after ive got the exfat support?
    also if I want to install titles as .xci rather than .nsp, would my best bet be to use zerotwoxci when running reinx or atmosphere? afaik both cfws can run zerotwo..?

by the way do you use fat32 or exfat sd card?

Last edited by Wanap, Oct 20, 2018
  12. jafc1

jafc1 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2018
    United States
    My 64 gb fat 32 is not working properly. I am on 5.01

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I dont mind updating to latest fw, as i can use reinix but i have already done a nand backup of 5.01 (but i dont have the keys)

13. jafc1

jafc1 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2018
    United States
    I also cannot copy rawnand.bin from pc to sd card.

14. vree

vree GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2005
    United Kingdom
    IMPORTANT QUESTION:

Can a bad .NSP file harm your switch? Like brick it? Just like .wad file could on the wii?

15. jafc1

jafc1 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2018
    United States
    64 gb exfat i cannot load cfw to get key as EXFAT not supported. I am 5.0.1.

Is it safe to do another nand backup after alreadying doing one and having my device fail to load CFW?

I think my original key is corrupt i cannot copy it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also
    Should i update my switch to latest FW before doing nandbackup?

16. BvonB

BvonB Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys sorry if already answered. I know on OFW the right way to switch SD card is to fully power down and then do it.
    Whats the right way when using sxos and autorcm...knowing a full shutdown will just reboot into rcm?
    So is it a corruption risk for my sd card to eject it while in rcm?

Two scenarios id like to do this in.
    1. Eject exfat sd card to add more content to sd card from pc
    2. Eject exfat sd card to insert fat32 sd card with retroarch ( because we know retroarch can corrupt an exfat sd xard).

Cheers

17. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    Is exFAT going to forever be problematic for emulation on the Switch, or is it something that may one day be solved do you think?

I really want to emulate on the Switch, but given the choice between using exFAT or being able to emulate, I feel like FAT32 is just such a pain in the ass that it's not worth it.

18. Flare-be

Flare-be Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2017
    Belgium
    I have a hypothetical question: if you have SX emuNAND and your SD card somehow gets corrupted and doesn't work anymore, what do you do? Just booting new SD card with SX license will not work I presume, or will it?

19. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    This thread has an idea of a list that gets updated when you install certain .NSP files.
    You can simply toggle AutoRCM off during the installation process which I'd only recommend if you aren't changing your firmware version (meaning you're just adding exFAT support to your current firmware). And currently, only ReiNX supports .XCI files being installed due to a special patch that only works with ReiNX. There are currently no plans to add such a patch to Atmosphere. Lastly, I use both for testing purposes but I personally prefer an exFAT formatted SD card because I'm lazy. I had corruption happen to me once but it was expected.
    It can mess up your ticket database making it unable for you to play most, if not all, your games which is a functional brick since it takes away the primary function of the console.
    You can remove the SD card while the console is turned off or in RCM.
    Hypothetically, it can be solved by rewriting the filesystem drivers the Switch uses but as you can imagine, that is not easy. Its possible ReSwitched made attempt to do so with Atmosphere since its designed to replace Horizon but for right now, exFAT is a ticking time bomb on the Switch when it comes to corruption.
    If you ever lose the license and the license-request files, you will have to buy a new license.

BvonB likes this.
  20. zaku

zaku GBAtemp Regular

Jun 26, 2018
    Uganda
    I updated from 4.0.1 to 5.0 without burning fuse. I didn't use chjourNX though. I used to the old method. I have my original NAND backed up. How do I restore to 4.0.1?

21. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Restore the NAND as well as boot0/boot1 to return to 4.0.1 Or you can use ChoiDujourNX to downgrade your firmware to 4.0.1

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted