Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is AutoRCM?
AutoRCM corrupts the BCT of your Nintendo Switch. In English, it puts the console into a bootloop aka its "bricked". However, because the console comes with a Tegra X1 chip, it instead boots into RCM. Visually, this is identified by the screen staying black when you press the power button. The console is actually on but it is very hard to tell. AutoRCM acts as a 100% way of preventing the Switch from booting normally which will burn fuses when it detects a higher firmware. This also means that you cannot use the console without injecting a payload via USB cable or SX Pro Dongle. However, it is a small sacrifice compared to the ability to retain fuses for use with a firmware that can load an exploit without the need for a jig/AutoRCM and USB cable.

Reactions: beats1234

Judaz

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
AutoRCM corrupts the BCT of your Nintendo Switch. In English, it puts the console into a bootloop aka its "bricked". However, because the console comes with a Tegra X1 chip, it instead boots into RCM. Visually, this is identified by the screen staying black when you press the power button. The console is actually on but it is very hard to tell. AutoRCM acts as a 100% way of preventing the Switch from booting normally which will burn fuses when it detects a higher firmware. This also means that you cannot use the console without injecting a payload via USB cable or SX Pro Dongle. However, it is a small sacrifice compared to the ability to retain fuses for use with a firmware that can load an exploit without the need for a jig/AutoRCM and USB cable.
So.. by following that guide, I won't be able to turn my switch on anymore? :unsure:
I don't think I get it, sorry...

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So.. by following that guide, I won't be able to turn my switch on anymore? :unsure:
I don't think I get it, sorry...
Basically, it won't turn on normally anymore. With AutoRCM installed, the console screen is not going to change when you press the power button. This is indicative of the console entering RCM. The sole purpose of RCM is to hook it up via USB connection to a device that is capable of sending payloads in order to load hacks. What this guide does is provide a foolproof way of booting RCM.

See, normally when you update your system, your console reboots itself. The reason it reboots itself is because during the initial startup of the console, it checks the number of fuses burnt with the current firmware. After a system update, your firmware is higher than the number of fuses burnt so it burns fuses to compensate. See the bottom of this for the full breakdown: http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Fuses

AutoRCM ensures the console will never do this by forcing the user to turn on the console using hacks.

Judaz

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Basically, it won't turn on normally anymore. With AutoRCM installed, the console screen is not going to change when you press the power button. This is indicative of the console entering RCM. The sole purpose of RCM is to hook it up via USB connection to a device that is capable of sending payloads in order to load hacks. What this guide does is provide a foolproof way of booting RCM.

See, normally when you update your system, your console reboots itself. The reason it reboots itself is because during the initial startup of the console, it checks the number of fuses burnt with the current firmware. After a system update, your firmware is higher than the number of fuses burnt so it burns fuses to compensate. See the bottom of this for the full breakdown: http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Fuses

AutoRCM ensures the console will never do this by forcing the user to turn on the console using hacks.
And how would I be able to turn the console on then? Is there a specific method I should use?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And how would I be able to turn the console on then? Is there a specific method I should use?
I'm linking this guide not for homebrew purposes but because it answers your particular question in more detail: https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-hacking-101-how-to-launch-the-homebrew-menu-on-all-fw.504012/

In short, once the Switch is in RCM due to AutoRCM, you will hook it up via USB connection to something that can send payloads. The guide I linked you assumes you have a Windows device but now we have ways of sending payloads from a number of different devices. This guide is very similar to the first one but it has extra sections in case you don't have a Windows PC: https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-1-x-5-x-how-to-run-homebrew-on-your-nintendo-switch.506529/

Reactions: beats1234

Judaz

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm linking this guide not for homebrew purposes but because it answers your particular question in more detail: https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-hacking-101-how-to-launch-the-homebrew-menu-on-all-fw.504012/

In short, once the Switch is in RCM due to AutoRCM, you will hook it up via USB connection to something that can send payloads. The guide I linked you assumes you have a Windows device but now we have ways of sending payloads from a number of different devices. This guide is very similar to the first one but it has extra sections in case you don't have a Windows PC: https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-1-x-5-x-how-to-run-homebrew-on-your-nintendo-switch.506529/
Do I have to use a paperclip/dongle thingy?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I have to use a paperclip/dongle thingy?
With AutoRCM, no. But to install AutoRCM, yes. Basically, for the first time you enter RCM, you will need to use a jig or equivalent. After that, you can install AutoRCM and never have to use it again so long as the console does not run out of power. If it does, do not freak out. The console's charge rate is reduced in RCM so if the battery dies with AutoRCM installed, it will just take longer for it to be able to turn back on.

Judaz

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
With AutoRCM, no. But to install AutoRCM, yes. Basically, for the first time you enter RCM, you will need to use a jig or equivalent. After that, you can install AutoRCM and never have to use it again so long as the console does not run out of power. If it does, do not freak out. The console's charge rate is reduced in RCM so if the battery dies with AutoRCM installed, it will just take longer for it to be able to turn back on.
All these processes sound..... complicated. If I just update, would I regret it later? I'm sorry for being such a noob but I'm confident I'd be retarded enough to fuck all up at some critical point :/

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All these processes sound..... complicated. If I just update, would I regret it later? I'm sorry for being such a noob but I'm confident I'd be retarded enough to fuck all up at some critical point :/
Basically, only update if you don't mind having to use a jig and USB cable to load hacks. Firmwares 4.1 and below have access to an exploit that doesn't involve the use of a jig and USB cable but rather loading a webpage to use hacks. If you are familiar with the PS4 hacking scene, its essentially the same thing. If you don't mind having to use a jig and USB cable for a long time, you can update while burning the fuses. I only recommended that guide as a middle ground towards updating and being able to use future exploits. Until we can format EmuNAND, it is the best we have so far.

Judaz

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Basically, only update if you don't mind having to use a jig and USB cable to load hacks. Firmwares 4.1 and below have access to an exploit that doesn't involve the use of a jig and USB cable but rather loading a webpage to use hacks. If you are familiar with the PS4 hacking scene, its essentially the same thing. If you don't mind having to use a jig and USB cable for a long time, you can update while burning the fuses. I only recommended that guide as a middle ground towards updating and being able to use future exploits. Until we can format EmuNAND, it is the best we have so far.
So, when (and if) we get Emunand, we won't be needing a jig even on newer firmware? I could just wait then. Is the jig+usb method hard?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, when (and if) we get Emunand, we won't be needing a jig even on newer firmware? I could just wait then. Is the jig+usb method hard?
You would still need the jig and USB cable if you want to load EmuNAND because EmuNAND would be running a higher firmware. However, it removes the need of AutoRCM because SysNAND will be the same as the number of fuses burnt. The jig and USB cable is not hard per se, but not all jigs can boot the console into RCM. There is a wide amount of variation in jig quality. I would advise checking the buying/trading section for where to find the best jigs. SX Pro is honestly the best jig on the market but its also the most expensive because it comes bundled with the dongle clocking in at $40.

Judaz

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You would still need the jig and USB cable if you want to load EmuNAND because EmuNAND would be running a higher firmware. However, it removes the need of AutoRCM because SysNAND will be the same as the number of fuses burnt. The jig and USB cable is not hard per se, but not all jigs can boot the console into RCM. There is a wide amount of variation in jig quality. I would advise checking the buying/trading section for where to find the best jigs. SX Pro is honestly the best jig on the market but its also the most expensive because it comes bundled with the dongle clocking in at $40.
and would I need it for every boot?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and would I need it for every boot?
The exploit is lost when the console is shut down so yes. That is why there is an alternative with AutoRCM however I've already outlined some of the possible problems you may run into using AutoRCM. Another option is to keep the console in sleep mode at all times, removing the need for the jig and USB cable or AutoRCM.

Judaz

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The exploit is lost when the console is shut down so yes. That is why there is an alternative with AutoRCM however I've already outlined some of the possible problems you may run into using AutoRCM. Another option is to keep the console in sleep mode at all times, removing the need for the jig and USB cable or AutoRCM.
Mmmh alright. On an unrelated note, is it true that backups won't be able to go online? 'Cause if so, I think I'll just skip on all these troubles and enjoy my games by shilling out some money, there's not many offline games which interest me anyway

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mmmh alright. On an unrelated note, is it true that backups won't be able to go online? 'Cause if so, I think I'll just skip on all these troubles and enjoy my games by shilling out some money, there's not many offline games which interest me anyway
If you mean being able to play backups via their respective online services (i.e. MK8D, Splatoon 2, Arms, Luigi's Balloon World in SMO) by injecting a certificate similar to the 3DS days, Nintendo has a way to detect this. At that point, they can choose to ban the console, the certificate, or both.

Judaz

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you mean being able to play backups via their respective online services (i.e. MK8D, Splatoon 2, Arms, Luigi's Balloon World in SMO) by injecting a certificate similar to the 3DS days, Nintendo has a way to detect this. At that point, they can choose to ban the console, the certificate, or both.
Alright, guess I'll update after all. Thanks for everything dude! Sorry for wasting your time, thanks again

kallstrom_74

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hello! I am about to buy a used switch...new cant be hacked and modded?
when i get a switch..how do i set it ut so i can play backedup games? (i have NEVER held or used a switch before..i softmoded my wii a long time ago and hooked up a harddrive with backedup games)

ibds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I want to go and buy an SXOS license, but I have all my saves on my games on my Nintendo account OF. How do I extract and transfer it to CFW games, is there a tutorial for this?
Also, I'd like to do that and then unlink my nintendo account (In case I need it in the future for another switch), since for that I'll probably need to go online, will I be banned in the process?

Thanks

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I am about to buy a used switch...new cant be hacked and modded?
when i get a switch..how do i set it ut so i can play backedup games? (i have NEVER held or used a switch before..i softmoded my wii a long time ago and hooked up a harddrive with backedup games)
Depends if you want to pay for it or not. The differences between the free version and the paid option are ease of execution as well as well as compatibility (you'll understand once you start reading up on it). The free one basically involves swapping game files with a game already installed onto your Switch with the backup of your choosing. The paid option has you drag and drop .XCI files (dumps of Switch cartridges) onto an SD card. Both will still involve using a jig and USB cable to load the backups (however the paid one has a more expensive option that gives you both the jig and a dongle to replace the USB cable).
Paid: sx-executer.com
Free: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-use-layeredfs-for-backup-loading-what-games-work-dont.507510/
I want to go and buy an SXOS license, but I have all my saves on my games on my Nintendo account OF. How do I extract and transfer it to CFW games, is there a tutorial for this?
Also, I'd like to do that and then unlink my nintendo account (In case I need it in the future for another switch), since for that I'll probably need to go online, will I be banned in the process?

Thanks
Not sure I am understanding you properly. If you don't use a second Switch to play your backups, the save data created from playing the games on your unhacked Switch will carry over into any backups you play onto it. This is because save data is stored on the Switch console itself and not on the cartridges (they are read-only meaning they cannot be modified in any way).

It would be wise to un-link the Nintendo Account before performing any hacks so the account does not get associated with any hacks. However, if your Nintendo Account does not hold any purchases you are willing to lose/any at all, it might be better to just set up a duplicate account in case you get banned. Another thing, you can still use the eShop on a banned console provided the account itself is not banned. This involves using Nintendo's website.

Reactions: beats1234 and ibds

zerohealinzz

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
is tinfoil for the rcm stuff save longterm wise? my right joycon controller failed to to detected (when attached, wireless works) nor in my joycon charge dock (gave charge error).

"luckily" somehow it worked again after a while, but it made me wonder if anyone else experience this issue?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzg7Y5Bwk4Q