Hardware Switch NAND upgrade

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ouch I've made a thread about that few months ago and everyone said it would not really be possible
Oh it was always possible, just needed the hacdiskmount... and to spoof the id of the chip...
This method is useless for those who want to go online. as can easily be detected atm...

Reactions: Adr990 and Aldoria

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats what I wanted, I hope they start selling on ebay with the full board already soldered like plug and play and then format it and install our backup...

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So now we just need someone to design and develop the ultimate Switch modchip. Some sort of combination of a board that allows you to connect both your Stock and an upgraded eMMC, with a easy way to switch between them, install AutoRCM on the upgraded eMMC and have a payload injector built-in, but only used when using the upgraded eMMC.

Then on a single Switch, you'd have one stock eMMC for all your legit stuff, and you'd be able to easily switch to an upgraded eMMC for all of your CFW/homebrew/NSPs.

The ultimate solution!

Canna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So now we just need someone to design and develop the ultimate Switch modchip. Some sort of combination of a board that allows you to connect both your Stock and an upgraded eMMC, with a easy way to switch between them, install AutoRCM on the upgraded eMMC and have a payload injector built-in, but only used when using the upgraded eMMC.

Then on a single Switch, you'd have one stock eMMC for all your legit stuff, and you'd be able to easily switch to an upgraded eMMC for all of your CFW/homebrew/NSPs.

The ultimate solution!

I already thought of this about a month or so ago... A dual chip board with a controller so we can have shall we say a alternative to a emu nand solution..

But kinda had a spanner in the works due to having to spoof the chip id into fs kip as ctcaer informed me. so i put the idea and project on the back burner

Reactions: ajd4096
D

Deleted User

I already thought of this about a month or so ago... A dual chip board with a controller so we can have shall we say a alternative to a emu nand solution..

But kinda had a spanner in the works due to having to spoof the chip id into fs kip as ctcaer informed me. so i put the idea and project on the back burner

This is freakn sweet. Gonna have a go at it.

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

The ultimate solution!
Damn, this sounds amazing, it would be awesome if it's doable

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The ultimate solution!
I'm waiting 4 something like that since I saw TX presentation of a upcoming soldering modchip, I always hope they can bring built-in memory or would be even happy with a m-SD port in it, but 4 that to happen probably we need atmosphere emunand to be fully released so that TX can copy and maybe finally they could start selling a modchip with its own m-SD or built in memory chip for their SX OS as emunand that would probably support dual boot to stock nand untouched or their nand\m-SD with CFW.

I wish... ;)

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I originally wrote a hairbrained idea to try to get the tegra to boot an alternative boot loader by letting it read a legit boot0 then bankswitching the NAND while it did the signature check, but from reading the SDK for the tegra (as concerns the boot process), it sounds like the BTC is read only one time in the boot process, and the tegra caches the read.

The boot ROM processes the BCT as follows:

• If no valid BCT can be found, enters USB recovery mode (RCM).

• Re-programs the boot memory controller according to the parameters specified in the BCT.

• (If the BCT contains SDRAM configuration parameters): Programs the SDRAM controller according to the data specified in the BCT. This is the first point at which SDRAM can be accessed.

• Reads the bootloader from boot memory into RAM, and validates the image.

• If no valid bootloader could be found, enters USB recovery mode (RCM).

• Jumps to the bootloader entry point.

This is unfortunate. I was hoping that the loader was dumber than that, and that it would read once to validate the image, then read again for actual booting-- but nope. No 1980s coding there it seems.

Considering that this process is being handled by the boot cpu, and is rom-based, I wonder about the actual code of the signature check routine itself.

Alternatively, we might still be able to still hook the system with ninty's boot loader intact by feeding it a modified horizon system image... hmm.. I will research further.

Last edited by Wierd_w,
Reactions: Snomannen_kalle

RazorX2014

Trophies
XP
Country
i bought a replacement nintendo switch emmc module off ebay and it was a THGBMHG8C2LBAIL but the one in my system is a KLMBG2JENB, I dumped my emmc and flashed it to the one i bought but after trying to boot my system with it in i just get a black screen did i do it wrong or do i need to buy one that is also a KLMBG2JENB?
or do i have to do something to my emmc dump first to make it work?

Last edited by RazorX2014,
Reactions: guily6669

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Humm thanks for trying anyway, hope you sort it out and plz keep us updated on the status, I hope we can just simply buy any Switch nand flash it and run it on the console, that would be like a emunand safety, though sadly to change from one to another we have to keep opening the console, but its better than nothing at least knowing if our nand chip goes bad some day we can still repair it. ~UNBRICKEABLE SWITCH :)

Last edited by guily6669,

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
i bought a replacement nintendo switch emmc module off ebay and it was a THGBMHG8C2LBAIL but the one in my system is a KLMBG2JENB, I dumped my emmc and flashed it to the one i bought but after trying to boot my system with it in i just get a black screen did i do it wrong or do i need to buy one that is also a KLMBG2JENB?

Based on this exchange between @Quicksilver88 and @CTCaer, it seems it's not a plug-and-play thing and modifications have to be made to the GPT (I'm assuming you are trying to upgrade your eMMC and not just replacing it with another 32GB eMMC, as we are in a "NAND upgrade" thread)

There might be more nuances with eMMC replacement, but I wouldn't know as I'm not technical enough to try something like that :P

@CTCaerOk so we have had some exchanges about Nand uogradimg and there are some guides out there of poeple having done it now. So it looks lik after the Nand chip upgrade the modder then uses Hektate for raw restore and then linux and hactool and pc mount (cumbersome) to modify the GPT for the user partition to open up the expanded space. It then appears he can boot into OFW and the expanded Nand capacity is available.

Ok so two quick questions...

1. I figured if we were going to change that GPT we would do it with payload injection, but it appears that only modifying the GPT is all that required and then its even available in OFW?

2. As stated all the stuff to mod GPT on the expanded Nand sounds like a fun time for someoone like me (I don’t even have a recent linux build but whatever), but would it be possible, and a lot easier for the less technical, to have a Hektate function that resets the GPT value after the nand restore to the expand Nand?

Your thoughts on this and if its possible would you consider impoementing in a future Hektate, or would it be easier to just build an HB app and do it inside HOS?

If this starts to get traction, I can make a module tool for hekate that will restore the emmc and then resize USER in partition table, mount it and then resize its encrypted state.

Canna

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Based on this exchange between @Quicksilver88 and @CTCaer, it seems it's not a plug-and-play thing and modifications have to be made to the GPT (I'm assuming you are trying to upgrade your eMMC and not just replacing it with another 32GB eMMC, as we are in a "NAND upgrade" thread)

There might be more nuances with eMMC replacement, but I wouldn't know as I'm not technical enough to try something like that :P

no one read what i posted ?,,,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    putting me into a shrink is not going to help anyone but *THEM*
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Poor Leo. Everyone out to harm you.
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes see? the fault is within you
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Same here, I struggle too. Its highly suggested to maybe take a break from the site just to calm down.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and ones like yuou
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so leave me alone and stop sending me pms
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    you started
    Im pretty certain most people here, Leo, don't believe much of what you say about your situations, if anything at all.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    you sent me pm and brought me up here
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    stupid motherfucker
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea...you don't want to hear the truth
    Yeah. After you litter the forum with your sob stories. Im calling you out.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    then mind your own business
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    otherwise fuck off
    Show us some proof. Lets see police reports, court documents, video and/or audio recordings, etc. etc.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I already did show part of it, you ridiculed me instead
    Like I said, people with criminal records tend to play the victim an awful lot. Thats all the more im going to say
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    in the wanted list thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    because you are an awful liar and narcissistic hypocrite
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    LEOtck? Who's he? Never 'erd of the las. :)
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I only show the mirror to people and you all can't stand what you're seeing
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    bunch of bullies
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: I think that's what you have