WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Yesterday I played with headphones using the headphone jack on the Switch and I immediately noticed static noise coming from them. It's a bit distracting. My Nvidia Shield does also produce static noise. All my other devices don't. I wonder if it's in any way related to Nvidia seeing that Switch and Shield use Nvidia hardware.

Does your Switch also produce static noise? If not, try with regular in-ear headphones and see if the noise becomes noticable.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I have no issue with this when it's in portable mode. When it's docked, tons of static noise coming from the 3.5mm. So I can't get surround while docked currently. I would hope this is fixable but you're right: it occurs with Shield devices sometimes too.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I have no issue with this when it's in portable mode. When it's docked, tons of static noise coming from the 3.5mm. So I can't get surround while docked currently. I would hope this is fixable but you're right: it occurs with Shield devices sometimes too.
Actually there was noise when I used it in portable mode. Never tried the headphone jack when in docked mode.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Actually there was noise when I used it in portable mode. Never tried the headphone jack when in docked mode.
Yeah for whatever reason sound is great while portable, through headphones or connected to my PC, no buzzing noise at all. It's loud and completely overriding when I try to do the same while docked.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
the problem can be caused by other devices around it, are you very close to the tv or other appliances?
check if this happens when you use the dock in another side of the house

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
the problem can be caused by other devices around it, are you very close to the tv or other appliances?
check if this happens when you use the dock in another side of the house
Thing is, I tested it in the exact same area when portable and docked, so that's the only thing that can still be making the difference.

EDIT: Okay, it's just an issue when connected to my PC though. Portable mode connects to my PC's surround via 3.5mm mic input and works fine. In the dock it's a loud annoying buzzing. I can still use headphones while docked without issue though. So more of a specific problem for me I suppose.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: migles

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yeah, that's some electrical interference thing. My laptop has some noticeable static when it's plugged in, but none when it's not.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
check the tip of the plug.
Also of times the headphone jack has different lengths and i can cause static by not lining up with what is inside.

I had this problem on a few things. 1 headphones would work great and then that on device would buzz. Switch to another headphone and it got no buzz on that device.

Its worth a try

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
check the tip of the plug.
Also of times the headphone jack has different lengths and i can cause static by not lining up with what is inside.

I had this problem on a few things. 1 headphones would work great and then that on device would buzz. Switch to another headphone and it got no buzz on that device.

Its worth a try
Actually no matter what I do, the noise won't go away. I tried different in-ear headphones and noise was still there. What CAN I do at this point?

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
have you tired putting it in just a little at a time and see if you only hear noise at a giving spot?

If so then there isnt muc that can be done. Could system be something inside the switch which isnt fully connected.
you could give nintendo a call but there more or less going to tell you to use license headphones or something dumb

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
It's called hiss and is caused by poor engineering on the audio output.
Every single Nintendo handheld I've had had this issue.
There's pretty much nothing you can do about it other than using less sensitive earphones.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
have you tired putting it in just a little at a time and see if you only hear noise at a giving spot?
I just tried it without success.

It's called hiss and is caused by poor engineering on the audio output.
Every single Nintendo handheld I've had had this issue.
There's pretty much nothing you can do about it other than using less sensitive earphones.
Oh well that's too bad. A reason more for bluetooth headset support I guess.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Sony are kings of sound. Still can't believe how much ahead they were with the PSP and Vita, both graphically and sonically. Oh well...

Kyrara

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
its only in Dock Mode for me.
Its the same with PS4 Controller when its charging and playing the same time.

xnstr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey !

I finally figured out a solution ... if you still need it, that is .

I actually found out it was a problem with the HDMI .

I didn't change the HDMI cable , all I did was take it out of my monitor and plugged it back in, and it worked .

Hopefully this works for you and others , but if it doesn't... try using a different HDMI cable and seeing if that works .

I have no other suggestions though, and I wish you all luck .

Have a good day !

stayingarmed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey !

I finally figured out a solution ... if you still need it, that is .

I actually found out it was a problem with the HDMI .

I didn't change the HDMI cable , all I did was take it out of my monitor and plugged it back in, and it worked .

Hopefully this works for you and others , but if it doesn't... try using a different HDMI cable and seeing if that works .

I have no other suggestions though, and I wish you all luck .

Have a good day !
5 years dude! You responded to a post that’s 5 years old!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr