Hacking Switch & exfat issue?

Taft

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello people!
I got SXOS running and been playing some emulator and works absolutely fine. And after that I wanted to try out some games, I notice that microsd is in format fat32 so I put it in PC to format it to exfat which Switch should work because it is on 5.1.0 firmware.
However, when I put in game around 1-3gb it works fine, Game Library works and I can see games in there. But when I put games that is larger than 4gb like 7gb, Game Library is scanning and than it freeze so I have to hard reset Switch.

Any reason why larger file is not working while smaller game file works just fine?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you actually download the exFAT update for your Switch? If not, that's probably why the games aren't displaying properly. As for triggering the update, it should happen automatically once you insert an exFAT updated SD card.

Taft

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Did you actually download the exFAT update for your Switch? If not, that's probably why the games aren't displaying properly. As for triggering the update, it should happen automatically once you insert an exFAT updated SD card.

How do I update it to read exfat? I have format it in Windows but when I put it in Switch, there is no prompt or anything? Or how do I force it to do so?

Taft

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Last edited by Taft,

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow! That look so complicated, so I have to do that? I though Switch would handle it for me because card is format in exfat and put in Switch. Though it would prompt update automatic.
I notice this card I am using is not SDXC, it is SDHC would that make reason why it don't update for me?
is not complicated if you follow the guide!!
if u cant get your games over 4 gb work on your switch that means you dont have the exfat update. you dont have more choices baby.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I update it to read exfat? I have format it in Windows but when I put it in Switch, there is no prompt or anything? Or how do I force it to do so?
It might be a bad SD card. Before you test if its fake or not, try formatting it with rufus. If it still does not work, test it with h2testw. This one will take time but there really is no reason for the exFAT update prompt to not come up otherwise. It might be worth just testing another SD card if possible.

Taft

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It might be a bad SD card. Before you test if its fake or not, try formatting it with rufus. If it still does not work, test it with h2testw. This one will take time but there really is no reason for the exFAT update prompt to not come up otherwise. It might be worth just testing another SD card if possible.

I have another SDCard that is SDXC, I will try that one first. Because this one with SDHC is working fine with games that file size is lower than 4gb.

Taft

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay it seems that other one SDXC is not loading games that are large either. Weird is that this microSDXC was inside when Switch update.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you say update, you mean when the firmware changed or did you perform an update that did not change the firmware? If its the former, then you do not have the exFAT update. If its the latter, the only problem left is due to your SD cards. I would still recommend trying to follow the guide to get the exFAT update. There is another one and it has 2 different ways of getting it so it might be more to your liking: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-the-exfat-driver-without-updating-2-x.505176/

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
is not complicated if you follow the guide!!
if u cant get your games over 4 gb work on your switch that means you dont have the exfat update. you dont have more choices baby.

you could have left it as fat32 and use XiCutter to split games over 4gb into 4gb chunks, works fine on my 4.1 fat32 switch

Last edited by JoeBloggs777,

Taft

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When you say update, you mean when the firmware changed or did you perform an update that did not change the firmware? If its the former, then you do not have the exFAT update. If its the latter, the only problem left is due to your SD cards. I would still recommend trying to follow the guide to get the exFAT update. There is another one and it has 2 different ways of getting it so it might be more to your liking: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-the-exfat-driver-without-updating-2-x.505176/

It was when I put in MicroSDXC in and Switch made me update to read it. I did that, now when I format SDCard inside Switch. It format to exfat default for me. So it sounds like I have exfat update? But why on earth is large game file size not working. It freeze on Game Library when it try to scan.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

you could have left it as fat32 and use XiCutter to split games over 4gb into 4gb chunks, works fine on my 4.1 fat32 switch

Any downsize to that? I mean any different except that file is splitting?

Taft

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you sure the dump is good? Are you sure the sd card is genuine?

Yes SDCard is genuine the dump? I am sure it is, I seen people say it works and it is from legit site. I got all other dump from there and other games works. Games that is around 1-4gb of course but large file is no go.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes SDCard is genuine the dump? I am sure it is, I seen people say it works and it is from legit site. I got all other dump from there and other games works. Games that is around 1-4gb of course but large file is no go.
It can only really be one of 3 things. Lack of SDXC update, bad SD card or bad game file. I don't suppose you've tried a 4gb+ nsp installed with devmenu? That might be worth trying just to see what happens.

Taft

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It can only really be one of 3 things. Lack of SDXC update, bad SD card or bad game file. I don't suppose you've tried a 4gb+ nsp installed with devmenu? That might be worth trying just to see what happens.

I am clueless, just tried Mario Tennis and it works fine but that game is like 2gb. And SDCard is in exfat format at the moment. So it seems to be working fine, but I am sure when I put in large file it wont work.
What is nsp and devmenu? I got one that is in that format but game is 3.5gb

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am clueless, just tried Mario Tennis and it works fine but that game is like 2gb. And SDCard is in exfat format at the moment. So it seems to be working fine, but I am sure when I put in large file it wont work.
What is nsp and devmenu? I got one that is in that format but game is 3.5gb
Like XCI is cart dump, NSP is eshop game.

EDIT: BTW, make sure none of the games have weird characters in the filename as SX OS will not be able to read them. In fact, I prefer to just make them a short single word just to be safe.

Last edited by subcon959,

Taft

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Like XCI is cart dump, NSP is eshop game.

EDIT: BTW, make sure none of the games have weird characters in the filename as SX OS will not be able to read them. In fact, I prefer to just make them a short single word just to be safe.

Hmm I have to google up how to install NSP with Devmenu, at the moment I only have one game and that game came with devmenu rar file and inside it have sxos folder. Not sure what to do with .nsp file and sxos folder.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/xeWd4a5RYJ8?si=URwg3PNBQa5zPuXt that birthday cake look jumpin