Hacking switch CFW black screen nothing working.

Ryoichui

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I've been at this for about 4 hours and I'm giving up and asking for help. decided to update my atmosphere since I had a new computer and it's been months since I last used the cfw on my switch. everything going just fine, get the files updated and everything set up according to the this tutorial ( ) I watched... and then I launched and it ended up in a black screen. didn't really panic and looked around for solutions.. been trying to follow this tutorial { }and trying several suggestions but every time I've tried anything it acts like it's fixed then goes right back to black screen.

now after hours of a loop of this my switch is just a black screen, can't seem to get it to turn on and plugging it in to my computer neither my computer or tegrarcm recognize it as in RCM mode. I've tried holding the power button for 20 seconds and trying to turn it back on and absolutely nothing. i plugged it in to the official nintendo charger, the dock, and my phone charger and nothing. the dock flashed green for a second when I plugged it in then went dead. please help me!

CanIHazWarez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your Switch has autoRCM, and you do not send a payload, it will just show a black screen when it boots. This black screen is indistinguishable from the Switch just being off. The system will not charge while on this black screen. When you plug in the system to charge it, the system tries to power on. However, since you're not injecting a payload, it just stays on the black screen. Since it can't charge on the black screen, the system does not get charged. The way to fix this is to plug in the system, hold down the power button for a good 10 seconds to turn it off (since it's on the black screen), and wait five minutes for it to charge. Then unplug it from the charger and turn the system on while injecting the payload. Once you have the system actually booted, you can put it back on the charger to let the battery charge the rest of the way.
If it doesn't work the first time, don't panic. You probably just turned the system ON whenever you held the power button instead of OFF. It's impossible to tell whether the system is on or off without injecting the payload. If it won't boot with the payload injected, it means the battery is still dead and to try charging it again. And if you're using something like an SX Pro dongle, make sure the dongle is charged as well (takes less than five seconds to charge it).

switchhunter666

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your Switch has autoRCM, and you do not send a payload, it will just show a black screen when it boots. This black screen is indistinguishable from the Switch just being off. The system will not charge while on this black screen. When you plug in the system to charge it, the system tries to power on. However, since you're not injecting a payload, it just stays on the black screen. Since it can't charge on the black screen, the system does not get charged. The way to fix this is to plug in the system, hold down the power button for a good 10 seconds to turn it off (since it's on the black screen), and wait five minutes for it to charge. Then unplug it from the charger and turn the system on while injecting the payload. Once you have the system actually booted, you can put it back on the charger to let the battery charge the rest of the way.
If it doesn't work the first time, don't panic. You probably just turned the system ON whenever you held the power button instead of OFF. It's impossible to tell whether the system is on or off without injecting the payload. If it won't boot with the payload injected, it means the battery is still dead and to try charging it again. And if you're using something like an SX Pro dongle, make sure the dongle is charged as well (takes less than five seconds to charge it).
]she has a patched unit and she updated it to 9.1

Ryoichui

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, tried that and it didn't work. my unit is patched to 9.1 and idk what to do I'm scared I bricked it. EDIT: wanted to clarify, I held the power down for 10 seconds, plugged it in to charge, plugged it in to PC pressed power and nada, unplugged from PC, held power for 10 seconds, plugged it back in to charger, then plugged it back in to pc, pressed power and nothing

Last edited by Ryoichui,
Reactions: switchhunter666

Ryoichui

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
autorcm in parched unit is auto brick
weird considering I did update it and updated my CFW and it did turn on and work for a bit, but it was going to black screen. it was only after I tried fixing that multiple times did this happen,

Ryoichui

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ohhh my god I'm an idiot. for some reason the driver for tegra uninstalled. got it to hook up to the computer, now need to figure out how to get it to work and not black screen when I load CFW

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
ohhh my god I'm an idiot. for some reason the driver for tegra uninstalled. got it to hook up to the computer, now need to figure out how to get it to work and not black screen when I load CFW
Can happen if you switch to another USB port.
Did you use RCM mode to hack it originally? It's not an iPatched unit?

Ryoichui

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so I'm thinking it's my SD card that's messing everything up, it's only 32gb. I'm going to be getting a 128gb one on saturday, hopefully that fixes my issue.

CanIHazWarez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, tried that and it didn't work. my unit is patched to 9.1 and idk what to do I'm scared I bricked it. EDIT: wanted to clarify, I held the power down for 10 seconds, plugged it in to charge, plugged it in to PC pressed power and nada, unplugged from PC, held power for 10 seconds, plugged it back in to charger, then plugged it back in to pc, pressed power and nothing
You need to hold down the power button after you plug in the charger. The Switch turns on whenever you plug it in it, so if you have autoRCM, it will just turn on to a black screen and then not charge.
On a separate note, you said "my unit is patched to 9.1". I believe you meant "my unit is updated to 9.1". It may seem pedantic, but in the context of the Switch, patched means something entirely different and it seemed to (rightfully) confuse other commenters.

Ryoichui

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to hold down the power button after you plug in the charger. The Switch turns on whenever you plug it in it, so if you have autoRCM, it will just turn on to a black screen and then not charge.
On a separate note, you said "my unit is patched to 9.1". I believe you meant "my unit is updated to 9.1". It may seem pedantic, but in the context of the Switch, patched means something entirely different and it seemed to (rightfully) confuse other commenters.
Sorry about that, I didn't really know there was a difference. But i did get it to turn on and work. It ended up bein that the driver for tegra uninstalled itself. My only problem now is that once i get it turned on and press launch i get a black screen after the triangle logo. Im pretty sure it's because my SD card is only 32gb. Im buying a bigger one Saturday so we'll see.

Ryoichui

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just an update it was definitely a patched unit and it bricked, wouldn't turn on no matter what I did. Luckily it was under waranty so I got a new one today that isn't patched.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can I just suggest a golden rule about using guides to 'hack': Never use video tutorials.

Now I know some may suffice, and it can often seem easier to follow; however, they rather swiftly become outdated and incorrect, are wildly inconsistent and nearly always omit important information that often leads to situations such as yours.

Use a well written comprehensive guide that is tried and tested and you will remain far safer in the long run.

I would suggest: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/

As you will see the very second page of that guide would have prevented you bricking your initial console, and you should realise just how lucky are you to have got a replacement.

Last edited by Risingdawn,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Analog stick nipples
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea i have couple other sites I find Switch titles also and just looked, I don't see it out/leaked yet...(paper mario)
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Or even worse; circle pad ball fondlers like on the 3DS
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I just want a Pokemon Hell Raiser fan game 😭
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Anyone wanna play with my joydock
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all...