Hardware Switch cartridge slot issue

crs1121

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

I'm trying to do some research on the best way to fix an issue I now have with my Switch.

My Switch:
  • Is on an early official firmware (v4 or so, never been updated)
  • It runs SXOS, latest supported version of custom firmware.
  • It has never been online
  • It is not a patched Switch (its very old)
My Switch cartridge slot was used for diagnosis of another Switch:
  • A second Switch (Switch B) wouldn't read game carts
  • Used the cartridge slot from My Switch, physically removed it and put it in Switch B
  • Switch B worked fine with My Switch cartridge slot installed
  • Switch B is on latest official firmware (v11 or so)
The problem:
  • After putting the cartridge slot back in to My Switch it no longer read game carts properly
  • on SXOS it would take 2 attempts to read any game cart (every time)
  • on OFW it throws an error and I have to restart the Switch
  • I thought I had not re-installed the cartridge slot correctly, reseated it - but same issue occurs
  • After some research I discovered that the cartridge slot may have burned some fuses when installed on to Switch B
Since SXOS is now out of action, I'm wondering what my options would be to get my Switch working properly with the cartridge slot.

Hopefully this makes sense, long story short: Another Switch may have updated my cartridge slot - but my Switch is not up to date.

I haven't been keeping up with the Switch homebrew scene, so I'm a bit out of the loop. Should I update the official firmware on my Switch to get the cartridge slot back "in sync" sort-of-speak? I'm concerned that updating it would cause further issues..

Thanks for any help!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I haven't been keeping up with the Switch homebrew scene, so I'm a bit out of the loop. Should I update the official firmware on my Switch to get the cartridge slot back "in sync" sort-of-speak? I'm concerned that updating it would cause further issues..

Thanks for any help!
That is your easiest solution. You can set up a separate emuNAND and update that for legit use (ideally on a separate MicroSD as it lets you keep any risky homebrew or hacking related files like the sig patches away from the legit SD) but it's a bit of a hassle to set it up as safely as possible to minimize the ban risks. And you are not really losing out on much by updating the sysNAND if your console is RCM exploitable. The browser exploit that is supported on your firmware is a much bigger hassle to activate every time than RCM as it requires internet, often fails and requires retrying or rebooting, and just takes much longer as you have to boot into OFW, let it connect to wifi, wait for the browser applet to load the page, and then hope it works and then you finally end up at the same stage you would be in pretty much immediately once in RCM and the dongle is plugged in. It literally takes like 5 seconds to do the RCM exploit whereas it takes more like 45 seconds-1 minute to do the browser exploit assuming it works first time. Not worth staying on a low firmware for - and we are not likely to get any other entrypoints in the future either.

laramie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[QUOTE="crs1121, post: 9513233, member: 562915"

Hopefully this makes sense, long story short: Another Switch may have updated my cartridge slot - but my Switch is not up to date.

Thanks for any help![/QUOTE]
If you can use atmosphere and daybreak to update. Using choi can screw your boot0/1 up but that's just for lites and v2+. It just enables autoRCM which isn't a thing on new switches.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey