Homebrew Switch Buttons in GBA - MODE

freshness

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey, few days ago I got my 3in1 Ez expansion pack!

I love the features, but that´s not the topic. What really sucks, that you can´t switch the buttons. Look, I mean, its so fucking annoying to hold B for running and then press A for jumping. It would be much easier to hold Y for running than pressing B for jumping. Maybe you don´t get my point, I know, its a small problem and maybe you think: what a jerk...but fuck it I want to hold the Y-Button, playing would be so much smoother for me...

So, I want to know if there is a patcher or something like that for gba-roms to realize my wish, because I couldn´t imagine that a homebrew prog can handle this...maybe someone can write a little program, i would do it by myself, but I have no idea of DS programming...

Please, don´t insult me, because, I´ve found nothing about it, maybe I´m the only person on this planet complaining about the A/B buttons...

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, it's not possible. When the DS goes into GBA mode, those two buttons are disabled and have no function. I think it's hardwired that way and cannot be changed. I've always wished you could use the x and y buttons in GBA games too since the a and b buttons tend to get more use than the rest of the buttons on the DS.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically when you load a GBA game, your DS goes into GBA mode... That is, it uses a GBA BIOS built into the DS... This BIOS acts just like a regular GBA and therefore can't see the extra DS hardware. There is no way to modify this BIOS since it's on a read only chip so there is no way to accomplish this.

Dizzy Doom

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
While software-wise it's imposible (unless we somehow got a GBA emulator), hardware wise it's pretty possible. You'd have to make some modifications, and put a switch to change Y-B for A-B. Of course, doing such a thing isn't easy, but the alternative is there.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reaper said:
Damn. I was thinking of a hack to have X and Y be turbo A and B.

There actually is a modchip for the DS that does exactly that. I haven't seen them switch A/B to Y/B though, which I agree would be very beneficial.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
DanTheManMS said:
Reaper said:
Damn. I was thinking of a hack to have X and Y be turbo A and B.

There actually is a modchip for the DS that does exactly that. I haven't seen them switch A/B to Y/B though, which I agree would be very beneficial.
Actually, they would have to change it to B/Y instead of Y/B, or it would become weird as heck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-