Question Switch asking to update to use eShop

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by j0hnnyj0hns, Apr 17, 2017.

1. j0hnnyj0hns
    OP

j0hnnyj0hns GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2016
    United States
    I'm on 2.0.0 and won't allow me to use eShop without updating anyway around this??

2. Scarlet

Scarlet Rydeen

GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Right
    Updating the system would probably get around that prompt. Not really sure what else you're expecting to hear.

jpx86 and TheVinAnator like this.
  3. j0hnnyj0hns
    OP

Jun 3, 2016
    United States
    Not really wanting to update for Homebrew possiblilities

4. Scarlet

Scarlet Rydeen

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Right
    Then you sacrifice the eShop. At the present moment in time, there's no way around it sadly.

TheVinAnator likes this.
  5. nIxx

nIxx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 30, 2007
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    So you dont want to update because of homebrew that isnt available and most likely wont be for a long time. Makes sense ^^.
    Anyway your choice either eShop or homebrew that may come.

Last edited by nIxx, Apr 17, 2017
  6. DarkenedMatter

DarkenedMatter GBAtemp Fan

Jul 26, 2013
    United States
    You usually can fully power off the system and the nag will go away. Might have been fixed though.

But yeah, don't know what you were expecting from GBAtempers as far as the comments before me.

j0hnnyj0hns likes this.
  7. j0hnnyj0hns
    OP

Jun 3, 2016
    United States
    I fully turned off the system and back on and still not letting me on eShop. Only wanted to see if there was a demo for MARIO Kart. Do you think there will have to be a system update to play mario kart offline? I don't play online at all on any of my systems

8. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Kind of a catch-22. The only real workaround would be to wait for a version patch, which won't come out until the console is jailbroken. So either update or pray that no cartridges force you to upgrade.

9. Scarlet

Scarlet Rydeen

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Right
    Oh, there definitely isn't a Mario Kart demo, so don't worry about that. Nobody can predict the future though, Mario Kart might come with an on-cart (or Kart lol) update that'll mean you'll have to be on that firmware to play it.

10. DarkenedMatter

DarkenedMatter GBAtemp Fan

Jul 26, 2013
    United States
    There used to be a DNS you could use that would get rid of the nag as well. But I guess that might have been a different scenario. If they performed maintenance on the Switch stuff I'm sure they fixed whatever it was.

11. Chizko

Chizko Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2015
    Chile
    ???? ??? ???
    Sacrifice Eshop for 2 years then (that the time to found a clue to start the research to start the developent on posible exploit). The last online maintance are for eshop and is independ of the console and now forces the updates on Switch.

12. steven89

steven89 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2016
    there was a router block on another thread just dont make the mistake i and pop an micro sd card in as i got a forced update even with router block in place.
    :( currently kicking my self try to find another 2.0 switch i was hoping for a demo be used in a hack tbh and wanted to get my self ready before nintendo pulls them

13. DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    You can access the eShop on 2.0.0 without getting the update nag. Block the following URLs:

Code:
    sun.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net
    beach.hac.lp1.eshop.nintendo.net
    How you block them is up to you. If you can do it from within your router's settings that would be probably work best. My router doesn't block HTTPS traffic so I use LocalDNS (a DNS emulator) to block the above URLs. Using a public DNS could work depending on how it's configured. If it redirects the connection test page to a website then you won't be able to use the eShop as the Switch will think you are offline and will simply attempt to load the connection test page to test connection again.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Did you block sun but not beach? I wouldn't worry about it anyway. I'm not going to stay on 2.0.0 for long. I'll update when there are useful features or fixes. The odds of you benefiting by staying on ancient firmware are slim to none. I still think it's a good idea to wait a bit before installing a new system update. They aren't uninstallable so I like to know what they do and if they break anything before I install them. 2.1.0 adds exFAT support, patches a Webkit exploit, and probably does fuck all else. Nothing that benefits me so I'll skip it.

14. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    Piracy and potential homebrew exploits ≠ Access to Nintendo services

Abu_Senpai likes this.
  15. Ridge

Ridge The Queen Anemone

Sep 10, 2015
    Norway
    Lunatea
    Just update, the 2.0.0 exploit won't get you anywhere anytime soon and by the time it does you probably can too on 2.1.0. In fact, by the time it's useful, 2.1.0 probably isn't the current firmware.
    You're expecting too much if you want access to both at this point in time. Maybe in 5-7 years that's something you can expect.

16. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Cockney tempa

May 22, 2010
    United States
    I can restart my Switch, instantly press Eshop and still get on with 2.0.0.

Just tried again and it worked. Worked the other day too when I bought SSIV.

You have to select Eshop instantly after the restart to beat the nag.

The3rdknuckles, Cava and zoogie like this.
  17. j0hnnyj0hns
    OP

Jun 3, 2016
    United States
    Okay awesome. Probably won't get one eShop because I just wanted to see if there was a demo for Mario Kart. Lol

18. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Cockney tempa

May 22, 2010
    United States
    No worries, if you're absolutley set on staying 2.0.0 then my advice is buy anything you want on eshop as soon as you can because this workaround won't last for long I imagine.

I will update when there's a reason to though tbh, something good like Xenoblade.

19. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Not to claim I know anything about it: But that method shouldn't disappear, right?
    I mean, the only way to block that method of accessing the eShop before the nag comes, would be via an update.... right? :P

20. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Update 2.2.0 is out incidentally.

McWhiters9511 likes this.