desideratus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
Hi Folks.

Ok. I want to swap a friends Wii with my one. Because he is not really interested in HB or hacking the Wii an his Wii is bootmii-boot2-compatible and mine is not...

Now I'd like to swap the two machines, but I want to keep any Information on both of them...

Any suggestions how to do it ?

Desideratus

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
- Keep wiiware/vc on them?, not possible (unless you softmod both)
- Keep personal information (internet settings and your nintendo club/wiiwshop account stuf flinked) re-enter the information
- Saves, back them up with "Waninkoko's Save Manager" (requires a softmodded wii) (i'm not 100% sure if you can swap any save, but some you can)
(Some saves you prolly can swap without softmodding a wii, not 100% sure about that)

Everything is unique locked to the specific wii console and you can not swap software between wii's unless your wii is modded.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive done something like this. i got a wii from a 15yr old girl and traded her without her knowing. there are some things you can swap and they work 100% and some things that don't work out so well.

i swapped the top of the case so i still had my serial number and she had hers.

i swaped the dvd drive so i kept the newer one and she kept her old one. AFAIK, all wii drives work in all wiis

i copied all her Miis to my wii. this didn't work out 100%. Miis are locked to the wii which created them. so when they are moved, they cannot be edited. but they can still be used for games.

i copied all her game saves to mine. this worked out fine except for the games which associated save data with a Mii. so her wii sports and wii fit saves were affected. wifi games may also be affected. she didn't have any saves for wifi games so IDK.

i could not transfer the wiishop account to her wii from mine. nintendo has that data on their server. so she got the 400 points i had sitting in my shop account, and she can now DL any games that i have paid for.

i didn't even try to copy the messageboard data. i just deleted it from both wiis.

i had to manually change the settings(console name, parental control). some stuff i couldn't do. she had to connect her wiimotes and set up her network again when i gave her back a wii.

the rest of the software you can freely install on any wii if you know how(IOS/TMD/channels)

desideratus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
Ah that seem's to be useful to swap those wii's.

But I don't need to change the case....
smile.gif
Just need to clean the others wii it's a little bit "smoky" *g*

Desideratus

Think I'll use the Savegame Manager to copy those Files. There are no VC/WiiWare's on both Wii's
smile.gif

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah use betwiin on both machine.

i have use beetwiin to transfer all my information that i have a nand backup before my old wii was bricked and use betwiin, and load it to the 2nd hand wii i got from ebay.

don't know if suff like hidden information is also transfered but it still looks like my new wii has the soul of my old wii
laugh.gif

i think you could also swap the wifi module so you can ratain you mac address..

i just don't want to transfer save one by one and and to play them once so you can transfer them so i just used betwiin

desideratus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
Thought about that, but that's really heavy mangling of the poor white thing
smile.gif

I'll copy the saves and mii's and that's all folks.

Already cleaned the smoky wii... It's (really) white again
smile.gif

Desideratus

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
betwiin is the answer, you get to keep 100% of the save (no some of the save dan't be copied BS). Also miis can then be edited, also it's the quickest way to do all of this.

You get to keep ALL the crap too EG: message board stuff etc.

It's the closet way to clone a Wii we have with homebrew

desideratus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
But will it work with a Wii where boot2 can only be installed as IOS ?

Feels a bit ....hmmm.... strange....

Desideratus

Sabin_Figaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
giantpune said:
ive done something like this. i got a wii from a 15yr old girl and traded her without her knowing. there are some things you can swap and they work 100% and some things that don't work out so well.

i swapped the top of the case so i still had my serial number and she had hers.

i swaped the dvd drive so i kept the newer one and she kept her old one. AFAIK, all wii drives work in all wiis

i copied all her Miis to my wii. this didn't work out 100%. Miis are locked to the wii which created them. so when they are moved, they cannot be edited. but they can still be used for games.

i copied all her game saves to mine. this worked out fine except for the games which associated save data with a Mii. so her wii sports and wii fit saves were affected. wifi games may also be affected. she didn't have any saves for wifi games so IDK.

i could not transfer the wiishop account to her wii from mine. nintendo has that data on their server. so she got the 400 points i had sitting in my shop account, and she can now DL any games that i have paid for.

i didn't even try to copy the messageboard data. i just deleted it from both wiis.

i had to manually change the settings(console name, parental control). some stuff i couldn't do. she had to connect her wiimotes and set up her network again when i gave her back a wii.

the rest of the software you can freely install on any wii if you know how(IOS/TMD/channels)

Why would you do that???

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i had a wii that could only have bootmii as IOS and she had a old wii that could have it at boot2. using betwiin on a wii that only has bootmii IOS has a possibility of bricking. and i have 0 experience with it, so my chances of screwing something up were pretty good. and if i messed it up, it would require a nand programmer to fix, which i didn't have and have never used.

the method i used has 0 chance of bricking either wii, so messing up her game saves was a price i was willing to pay. she can consider that a fee for all the games i put on there for her.

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
maybe vunerable boot2... it's becoming rare this day to get.

if some of my friends got one i'll trade my wii if they are willing to, even it might cause me a drink or two

drh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slimmmmmm said:
betwiin is the answer, you get to keep 100% of the save (no some of the save dan't be copied BS). Also miis can then be edited, also it's the quickest way to do all of this.

You get to keep ALL the crap too EG: message board stuff etc.

It's the closet way to clone a Wii we have with homebrew

Woooaaahh, hold on a sec, according to the betwiin docs, there are the following caveats (pasted below), some of which are pretty important in my opinion
wacko.gif
like the fact that the serial is cloned, the shop accounts wont transfer or work, purchased channels wont work and will not be re-downloadable and probably most importantly, there is no bad block handling. Now I don't know about anyone else, but I have backed up the nand on quite a few wii's where then have been numerous bad blocks (factory or otherwise). If there's no bad block handling, surely the possability of restoring a nand backup to another wii with bad blocks in a different place is really risky!

I wonder how many people have used this tool and have no idea that some possibly important data is now sitting in a bad area of nand, this might not show up immediately, but you'll sure know donw the road if your Wii starts acting up.
I would use this with caution and certainly compare the number and positions of bad blocks (most wii's have them) on the source and destination wii's before using!

Caveats

* The version of boot1 you flash to a NAND chip must match the original one that shipped with that Wii. No exceptions.
* The version of boot2 must be equal to or greater than the one most recently installed on that Wii.
* No handling of bad blocks is performed; if your target NAND chip has a bad block that hits an important file required for system startup, I suggest you find a different donor dump to start from.
* Converting an image from one keyset to another does not guarantee everything will work. The serial number will be cloned, but that should not affect anything. The Wii Shop account will not transfer over, nor will the original account used on the broken Wii work. Most savegames should still work. Purchased channels will not work on the new Wii, nor will you be able to redownload them. You should be able to create a new Wii Shop account, all disc-based games should work, you can update the system online, etc.

Reactions: WuaZ

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Note how I never agrued it was totally safe, or even close to that.

I posted to learn too, and after reading more, I myself wouldn't use betwiin. I would do what giantpune did.

I would now consider betwiin as pretty useless to swap nands and am wondering why it was ever made in the first place tbh.

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
holy.....good thing i was really lucky when i used betwiin >.<

any good toutorial on using comex nand formatter? the included readme file is kindda vague..

desideratus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
I think I'll only copy the savegames and Mii's between the two Wii's.

Using betwiin feels to hot for in my opinion. If both wii's had bootmii in boot2 it will be ok, but bootmii only as IOS... don't think that's a good idea...

Desideratus

desideratus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
Now I'm working to swap the machines.

Copied the Mii's to SD and opened them with aj's Mii Editor to note the Machine id's. Changed the ID's to the other machines id before reinstaling them. And voila. Everything ok and the Mii's are editable, too
smile.gif

Desideratus

desideratus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
For those who look for the Mii-Editor: AJ's Mii Editor

Had only to reassign the newly imported Mii to the Savegame in Mariokart eg. Not tested other games by now, but will you keep informed.

Desideratus

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol