Swap Save Data between two Nintendo Switch consoles

supergnu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I want to mod my switch, but I have a V2. A friend of mine has a V1 and is willing to swap.

2 questions:

1. Is there a maximum OS version past which it's not possible anymore to softmod a V1? If so, what version number is that as of now?

2. I found a guide to transfer user data from one switch to another but is there a way to swap the user data between two consoles? If so, how?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
V2 need modchip as for V1 if it unpatched you can use RCM method.

V1 patched can't mod anything above 4.1.0 without a modchip. You can transfer save data that is link to the same account on two different system, running CFW would have a chance of getting your friend unit ban.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

supergnu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
V2 need modchip as for V1 if it unpatched you can use RCM method.

V1 patched can't mod anything above 4.1.0 without a modchip. You can transfer save data that is link to the same account on two different system, running CFW would have a chance of getting your friend unit ban.

So from your message I take it that for V1 there are 'patched' and 'unpatched' versions. If it is an 'unpatched' one (which I guess I can determine from the serial number), can it be at any OS version and still be softmodded?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So from your message I take it that for V1 there are 'patched' and 'unpatched' versions. If it is an 'unpatched' one (which I guess I can determine from the serial number), can it be at any OS version and still be softmodded?

If it unpatched, firmware doesn't matter, you can check with the link below.

https://ismyswitchpatched.com/

Reactions: binkinator

supergnu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
The link you posted describes how to transfer data from one switch to another. But not how to swap data between two switch consoles (so that the data of both consoles is preserved, but swapped)

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The link you posted describes how to transfer data from one switch to another. But not how to swap data between two switch consoles (so that the data of both consoles is preserved, but swapped)
The only other path would be to use JKSV but that would require a modchip to put CFW on the V2 switch so you could run homebrew…which probably negates the purpose of this thread.

supergnu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
The only other path would be to use JKSV but that would require a modchip to put CFW on the V2 switch so you could run homebrew…which probably negates the purpose of this thread.
Okay thanks. I guess in that case I have to sacrifice my data.

One more question: is it enough to exchange the main console or do we need to exchange the base stations as well (i.e. does V1 consle run with V2 base station and vice versa?)

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure you can just move the profile to the other unit, as save data would be moved, where you would just need to redownload game, think you need to create another profile beforehand.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay thanks. I guess in that case I have to sacrifice my data.

One more question: is it enough to exchange the main console or do we need to exchange the base stations as well (i.e. does V1 consle run with V2 base station and vice versa?)
The dock? Im not certain. I would think they would be universal.

If you’re swapping, why not just ship the dock, power and switch at the same time?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure you can just move the profile to the other unit, as save data would be moved, where you would just need to redownload game, think you need to create another profile beforehand.
Agreed. seems you’re not limited to number of swaps you can do so I would try swapping each src/trgt user from/to on each switch.

supergnu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Agreed. seems you’re not limited to number of swaps you can do so I would try swapping each src/trgt user from/to on each switch.
I'm not sure I understand. There are two switch consoles. Once I transfer the date from one to the other, this overwrites the existing data - so I don't quite understand how in this scenario I can successfully swap the data (by swap I mean that console A afterwards contains Data of console B and vice versa).

supergnu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Moving a profile associates that profile with the other Nintendo Account, doesn't it? We want to keep our respective Nintendo Accounts.

supergnu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Maybe to be more specific, this is the current situation:

SwitchV1[Nintendo_Account_A[Profile_A1, Profile_A2]]
SwitchV2[Nintendo_Account_B[Proflie_B1, Profile_B2]]

and afterwards it should be

SwitchV1[Nintendo_Account_B[Profile_B1, Profile_B2]]
SwitchV2[Nintendo_Account_A[Proflie_A1, Profile_A2]]

and NOT

SwitchV1[Nintendo_Account_A[Profile_B1, Profile_B2]]
SwitchV2[Nintendo_Account_B[Proflie_A1, Profile_A2]]

Last edited by supergnu,

supergnu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
That link associates the profile from one nintendo account to another nintendo account. I don't want that - the profiles should remain associated with the nintendo accounts they are currently associated with.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That link associates the profile from one nintendo account to another nintendo account. I don't want that - the profiles should remain associated with the nintendo accounts they are currently associated with.

That is the only way you can move it Im afraid, you can delete profile B2/A2 afterward if not needed. Each profile is an account.

supergnu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
That is the only way you can move it Im afraid, you can delete profile B2/A2 afterward if not needed. Each profile is an account.
But there is a difference between user account and nintendo account (e-mail address). How do I get the nintendo account transferred?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM