PS1/2 Swap Magic Assistance

Venko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been looking around lately and come to the conclusion that a HDD loader for a phat PS2 is not a viable option as it requires a network adapter which is no longer produced. As such I figure the next best thing is loading burned games and accepting that it'll eventually wear my PS2's laser out.

It seems the only option for this without using a modchip is using a Swap Magic disc. For this I'll require a PAL swap magic 3.6 disc (latest version?) disc and a Slide Tool. What are the best places to be these online in the UK?

Oh, and does Swap Magic support PS1 games? I've been unable to find a definitive answer on the matter.

Thanks to anyone who can help
wub.gif

[edit] See my latest post for current information. Decided to use a HDD instead and need help with loading from it.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Venko said:
I've been looking around lately and come to the conclusion that a HDD loader for a phat PS2 is not a viable option as it requires a network adapter which is no longer produced. As such I figure the next best thing is loading burned games and accepting that it'll eventually wear my PS2's laser out.

It seems the only option for this without using a modchip is using a Swap Magic disc. For this I'll require a PAL swap magic 3.6 disc (latest version?) disc and a Slide Tool. What are the best places to be these online in the UK?

Oh, and does Swap Magic support PS1 games? I've been unable to find a definitive answer on the matter.

Thanks to anyone who can help
wub.gif
Yes, you'll need these things. Be careful with the Slide Tool as it's pretty fragile
ph34r.gif

And no, the Swap Magic doesn't support PS1 games... Only PS2 ones. To use PS1 games you'll need another swap disc (IIRC, GameBreaker, or something like that)
tongue.gif

Venko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
raulpica said:
And no, the Swap Magic doesn't support PS1 games... Only PS2 ones. To use PS1 games you'll need another swap disc (IIRC, GameBreaker, or something like that)
tongue.gif

Is this what I want?

I found the Swap Magic 3.6 here with a Slide Card for €17.95.

No, I don't speak Dutch but I don't want to buy the stuff from an untrustworthy site either and that's the only site listed in the Wii section that's trustworthy in Europe which seems to sell Swap Magic discs. If someone in the UK knows of a better service they've used it would be much appreciated. Otherwise I think I'm going to try my hand at speaking a little Dutch.

[edit] I feel a complete fool... they have an English option for their site.

Breaker Pro: http://www.futuravideogames.co.uk/e-tienda...h6ij615ef283ek0
Swap Magic 3.6 + Slide Tool: http://www.futuravideogames.co.uk/e-tienda...h6ij615ef283ek0

I'm guessing the breaker pro is what you suggested I need but it's out of stock and I have a feeling it may have been that way for a long time.

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
just figure out how to do the PSX exploit and run Free MC on it. That way you don't have to pay for a swap magic when you can just use cogswap.

Venko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It seems I need a copy of Swap Magic to install Free MC in the first place though. What's more is I only have one 8 MB memory card - I need an additional 64 MB one, right?

The folks in #GBAtemp suggested that it's a better idea to use the HDD option as my laser is likely to die. So I'm trying to buy a network adapter on EBay (I hate bidding, wish I could just but one) and then after that I'll need to buy a Maxtor HDD (anyone have any idea which one I need to buy?)

Lastly I need some way to boot the games off of the HDD and that's when I need something like a HD Loader disc or Memor32, yeah?

Venko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
But I hear that the Slim PS2s have naff lasers so although it would have been easier it wouldn't have lasted very long. The Memor32 is 50 Euros - that's a lot of cash to spend out on top of the Maxtor HDD I'm going to have to buy and the network adapter.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Venko said:
But I hear that the Slim PS2s have naff lasers so although it would have been easier it wouldn't have lasted very long. The Memor32 is 50 Euros - that's a lot of cash to spend out on top of the Maxtor HDD I'm going to have to buy and the network adapter.

nope, i've had my slim ps2 since 2004, still going strong, you will find that it's actually the fat ps2's that have weaker lasers, if you look up disc read errors on google most of the cases will be on fat ps2s.

as for the memory card thing i think that would be your only option if you want something easy to use, it ain't going to get any easier than that.

unless you get your ps2 modded professionally, that would be your other option, only problem with that there are less people out there that mod ps2s anymore.

Venko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Can I not just use a Swap Magic disc to boot games off of a HDD once I manage to acquire one along with the network adapter? I would never have to remove the Swap Magic disc if I just used it to boot games from HDD, right? So it should be a decent solution.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i would have thought when you buy the hard drive you get a cd or dvd with it to load the OS so you can boot your games, i've never used one of those hard drives personally.

the only option i know of in swap magic that it boots is from the memory cards and usb pens, not hard drives?

Fellow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Venko said:
I've been looking around lately and come to the conclusion that a HDD loader for a phat PS2 is not a viable option as it requires a network adapter which is no longer produced.

It may not be produced anymore but there are numerous amounts of them up on eBay and Amazon.

Venko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fellow said:
Venko said:
I've been looking around lately and come to the conclusion that a HDD loader for a phat PS2 is not a viable option as it requires a network adapter which is no longer produced.

It may not be produced anymore but there are numerous amounts of them up on eBay and Amazon.

I now have a network adaptor in the mail and am about to buy this 80GB Maxtor HDD. I checked it on the PS2 HDD list and it seems OK. So now all that remains is a method of booting the HDD games. I hear there's different options including a HD Loader disc and a Memor32 application. What would you guys recommend?

D

Deleted User

Venko said:
Fellow said:
Venko said:

I now have a network adaptor in the mail and am about to buy this 80GB Maxtor HDD. I checked it on the PS2 HDD list and it seems OK. So now all that remains is a method of booting the HDD games. I hear there's different options including a HD Loader disc and a Memor32 application. What would you guys recommend?
Don't waste your time with 80GB get at least 320GB.

Venko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saturnplanet5 said:
Venko said:
Fellow said:
Venko said:

Don't waste your time with 80GB get at least 320GB.

The software only supports up to 120GB though
wacko.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr