PS1/2 Swap Magic 3.6 vs 3.8/Coder?

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally bit the bullet and bought a new PStwo to replace my old dying PS2, but my old Swap Magic 2.0 won't work on it. FMCBoot is out too, won't work on this model.

Anyway, I've read that 3.8 has problems with some games that 3.6 plays just fine, anyone know which specific titles have problems and how bad they are?

Also, is there anyplace in particular you'd recommend to buy SM from?

heavyknight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can recommend 3.6 out of experience..since it's the only one I've used. No idea on the other stuff. Forgot what site I used.

Sao Mortel

Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
tbgtbg said:
to replace my old dying PS2

My advice is
1.Wrap up your brand new PSTWO and take it back to the store. Say your mom/wife will kill you if you cant take it back.

Buy a network adapter and a cheap hard drive and get FMCB installed and you can get many games on your HD that will last for many many years.

2.Or buy SWap magic from http://www.overstockdistributing.com/ and swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swapswap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap
swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap
swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap swap

Kamina84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitlly get 3.6 because of game compatability (It's the only one that will Play Darkstalker's Collection.
tongue.gif
). Keep in mind thou 3.8 has a "Gameshark" type feature and it will allow you to play Dual Layer PS2 discs (with sacrificing some game compatabitly of course.
tongue.gif
). Sadly the site i got mine at shut down a long time ago. :\ If you go on the official Swap Magic site thou, you can see what sites they reccomend.
biggrin.gif

http://www.swapmagic3.com/Swap_Magic_Where_To_Buy.asp

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
3.6 = Single Layer Disc (cant boot dual layered backup games)

3.8 + coder = Dual layer Disc (can boot dual layered and single layered discs)

-----

3.6 can still be used, but you need to refresh the TOC by inserting a legitimate copy game with higher TOC or Dual Layered Disc.

tbgtbg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like 3.6 is what I want. Don't really need to load backups of dual layers.

tbgtbg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crap! That Overstock site suggested is out of them now, and the "where to buy" on swapmagic's site is hopelessly outdated.

Any suggestions where to get one?

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayS...n_2_DVD-9_games

The only really good ones there are the God O' Wars, Gran turismos, medal of honor:rising sun, metal gear solid 2, and yakuza 2. Even then you can get dvd5 versions.

oh, and for the new ps2s (SPCH-9XXXX), you want THIS bundle: http://www.techloops.com/ps2swmav32pl.html

It gives you swap 3.6 AND the magic switches you need to run it on SPCH-9XXXX ps2s.

This site is actually listed on swap magic's "Where to buy", doesn't look bad to me.

The site has paypal, so it's probably safer than others. Plus, Techloops is pretty big.

Oh, right. This bundle is NSTC VER.

The store doesn't sell PAL if that's where you're at. Try another on the site.

wesacer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayS...n_2_DVD-9_games

The only really good ones there are the God O' Wars, Gran turismos, medal of honor:rising sun, metal gear solid 2, and yakuza 2. Even then you can get dvd5 versions.

oh, and for the new ps2s (SPCH-9XXXX), you want THIS bundle: http://www.techloops.com/ps2swmav32pl.html

It gives you swap 3.6 AND the magic switches you need to run it on SPCH-9XXXX ps2s.

This site is actually listed on swap magic's "Where to buy", doesn't look bad to me.

The site has paypal, so it's probably safer than others. Plus, Techloops is pretty big.

Oh, right. This bundle is NSTC VER.

The store doesn't sell PAL if that's where you're at. Try another on the site.
i have a scph-75001 ps2 slim what swap magic should i use and where can i get it? im desperate
sad.gif

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
I got mine from estarland long ago... Used for a week, switched to Free Mcboot + PCSX2 combo, and never touched it again
tongue.gif
Get rid of that PS2 and find a slightly older model I say!

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wesacer said:
i have a scph-75001 ps2 slim what swap magic should i use and where can i get it? im desperate
sad.gif

don't get swap magic theres a program called cogswap that you can use with freemcboot and ESR that work with most games.
before you ask freemcboot is here

wesacer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Magsor said:
wesacer said:
sad.gif

don't get swap magic theres a program called cogswap that you can use with freemcboot and ESR that work with most games.
before you ask freemcboot is here
hmm well good news is when i get the USB drive the memcard and the ARmax if it doesn't work i still have useful stuff but still was hoping i didn't have to pay so much money tho thats why i was desperate
blush.gif
i just want to play some Japanese game without a modchip lol was thinking swap magic was a good choice
rolleyes.gif

tbgtbg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
synce said:
I got mine from estarland long ago... Used for a week, switched to Free Mcboot + PCSX2 combo, and never touched it again
tongue.gif
Get rid of that PS2 and find a slightly older model I say!

Dude, this is a zombie thread, I already got my Swap Magic last summer.

(and if by chance you were talking to the guy that bumped the thread back up, he's got a 75000, so he can already do FreeMCboot)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night