Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe the "unban" is the issue, and users will have the error again tomorrow :teach:

don't think it's possible, an NNID is tied to a single 3DS
EmuNAND couldn't connect after a Formated/unlinked NAND.
it had to be re-linked, so formating is not enough? or maybe the same console can be relinked multiple time with the same NNID, but it needs to be officially unregistered from eshop in order to register another console with the same NNID?

I don't know how this NNID is really working. I never connected online with 3DS or WiiU.
only 3DS transfer can be used to move NNID account to another console?
what if you sell your 3DS? formating is not enough for the next user to use his own NNID?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
we got only two confirmations.
but I don't think they used public header, and I'm not sure they really want to try public header again, but just ask them in the other thread.

the other banned users are maybe not online today or didn't see the portal news.

Edit:
ah, there we have a contradictory report.
Sorry to hear you are still affected by this error. But you weren't one of the first affected, right?
When did you got "banned" ? which day?

The first user got unbanned today.
Maybe it's an automatic 15 day ban system.

Here are the report of affected users:
February 4th : * <-- that one who created the other thread said he can access online again.
February 5th : *
February 6th : ***
February 8th : *
February 9th : ****
February 10th : *
February 11th : *

N00b Smasher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe Ninty is really gullible and believed all the banned pirates who phoned saying "I wasn't pirating, honestly! :(", so they went "OH NOES LEGIT USERS ARE GETTING BANNED!!!" and undid the bans :ha:

Holybond

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
we got only two confirmations.
but I don't think they used public header, and I'm not sure they really want to try public header again, but just ask them in the other thread.

the other banned users are maybe not online today or didn't see the portal news.

Edit:
ah, there we have a contradictory report.
Sorry to hear you are still affected by this error. But you weren't one of the first affected, right?
When did you got "banned" ? which day?

The first user got unbanned today.
Maybe it's an automatic 15 day ban system.

Here are the report of affected users:
February 4th : * <-- that one who created the other thread said he can access online again.
February 5th : *
February 6th : ***
February 8th : *
February 9th : ****
February 10th : *
February 11th : *

When I checked it, if I re-call it properly, it probably was a week after the initial reports. I'll simply wait a few more days, and then check back with this thread if it isn't locked. Let's hope that if it is a ban nintendo is lenient with idiots. At-least I'll be able to use private headers from this point onward, like I should've done from the get-go.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Having read the entire last thread, I think that there's some misinformation going around here. Nintendo told the OP of the thread that the ban was for using unauthorized material. It wasn't just a network error boo boo on their part that strangely only happened to people running either flashcart and also happened to be using public headers. The people in this thread saying that it wasn't a ban are incorrect. Obviously Nintendo wouldn't say EVERYTHING about who they were banning, but they did clarify that it was for piracy. Still not sure why they are lifting the bans though (I only read about two cases so far. And one was from the OP of the thread.)

One user said the representative person he called confirmed it as a ban because of the use of unauthorized material, and that nothing will be done to be unban.
That's false. They told OP that if he sent them front and back pictures of their entire collection they would consider unbanning him. Now, they probably wouldn't have either way (even though they did without him having to provide the proof) but they didn't say that there was nothing they would do as your post implies.

I also don't believe that these people were all lying. They weren't "supposedly banned" they were banned. One person even provided a video showing the error code.

Also to note from that thread, it boiled down to it almost certainly being a mac ban. Different access points didn't help. System formats didn't help. People were banned regardless of if they had their NNID linked to the system. There was a lot of troubleshooting going on in the gigantic thread. Obviously not everyone here read it all so I'm just giving the breakdown.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Ericzander How is it incorrect? It still isn't a wide spread thing. So, yeah it being a ban is still highly questionable. As is what the rep allegedly said. So, yeah.. Until we get OFFICIAL word on your matter? I doubt it's a ban.

Ericzander

Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Nintendo of America's website temporarily stated that it was for a ban as well, but it seems that it was reverted back to being a generic error code. Nintendo of Japan was more specific when translated but I'm not sure if the website still reflects that. These people were banned. Like I said no amount of troubleshooting fixed their problems.

Edit: It seems like 4 people are now reporting being unbanned.

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I still think this is nintendo testing the waters with a possible ban system, and wanted to revert these initial "test bans" for whatever reason, perhaps because there was the possibility of legit users getting banned as well.
So, be careful for the future. I think a lot of people just assume online play is a forever free pass because nintendo has been silent for a number of months, and used public headers without carefully thinking of the risk.

Supporting my theory is the user Holybond who got banned a week later and his error did not rollback (yet). But we need more user reports on this, to try and make out what happened.

Ericzander said:
That's false. They told OP that if he sent them front and back pictures of their entire collection they would consider unbanning him.
What do you mean by "entire collection"? Did nintendo know which games he pirated, and that is why they were asking if he actually owned them?

Ericzander

Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
What do you mean by "entire collection"? Did nintendo know which games he pirated, and that is why they were asking if he actually owned them?

I'm sure that they know which games were pirated. They are allowed to look at your activity log after all. They wanted the front and back of every cart.

Wekker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm sure that they know which games were pirated. They are allowed to look at your activity log after all. They wanted the front and back of every cart.
All game can be rented! Or destroyed by now. Console can be 2nd handed or rented! It is nintendo that need to be proof you are really pirating and not the otherway around.

Ericzander

Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
All game can be rented! Or destroyed by now. Console can be 2nd handed or rented! It is nintendo that need to be proof you are really pirating and not the otherway around.
Like I said, I doubt they would un ban him. I'm just saying that Cyan misquoted when he said that Nintendo said there was nothing they could do.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There's nothing they could do for pirates.

I'm obviously talking about flashcart users here, not legal users who got that issue and that nintendo can unban by showing proof that they didn't pirate.
They will not do anything if you don't/can't prove you didn't use flashcart/emuNAND/whatever.

About the thread title:
I used the word "supposedly" because the error on their website doesn't state that it's a ban. It's either an access point issue, or a "just call us" page (it changes back and forth after multiple refreshes).
I didn't use the word unban, as it's not officially called a ban. Users reported they can go online again which is correct, I didn't lie.
There's no official word that it's a permanent ban or a temporary one (but it looks like a temporary 15 day ban). There's no official announcement from Nintendo that they are banning users (though, their EULA should cover it).
I think 15-20 reported banned users is really small for a real ban attempt, they could have banned everyone! why 15? why these users only?

I don't say that it wasn't a ban at all. Just that for a ban attempts it's not widespread and there's no official banning announcement.
now users are back online, and the error page is back to access point issue, like if nintendo covered it as a simple error on network connection.

I know that the OP called nintendo representative and they asked him to show proof.
I didn't know that console without NNID was banned too, I guess I didn't read all the ban cases.
It's NOT a mac ban, as MAC has been spoofed and tested, it looks like I'm not the only one not reading all ban cases and troubleshooting.

I only stated the facts, not adding suppositions to the OP.

Edit:
It doesn't look like an automatic 15 day ban lift, as one user reported being banned only 5 days, and unbanned along the other users in the unban wave from yesterday.
So, it's not automatic, it probably requires manual intervention from nintendo if it's really a ban/unban.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxeZ7JYwZs&pp=ygUJVnIgaXMgZ2F5