Hacking Supercard mini sd or EFA-Linker 512mb

ausbob06

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi I am looking for a cheap gba flashcard for my 3 yr old daughter to play games on. my 7 yr old daughter has a gb micro with a supercard sd to play her games and it seems to work alright. I also have a supercard lite for my ds lite so have experience with the supercards but I saw this efa-linker 512mb (presume this is megabit) on dealextreme.com for a similar price to the supercard and am unsure which way to go. Any advice would be appreciated:)

ausbob06

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for the reply pharaoh. she has been watching her older sister playing her micro so I found my old gba and gave it to her the screen is pretty bad compared to the micro but she has been enjoying it nevertheless. The save system is quite awkward on the supercard and it did take my eldest daughter quite a while to get used to it. might go with the efa linker as it might be easier for her and she only needs a maximum of 10 games on it at any one time so should do the job!

ausbob06

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
they have it for us$21.35 on dealextreme with free shipping and the supercard is us$23.35 which seems pretty good. still not totally sure which way to go as the supercard wins hands down in the storage department but the efa sounds like it is better for game compatibility and saving. I didn't realize there were so many games that dont work with the supercard as I dont really play gba games myself. what is the cheapest price for the ez flash?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Supercard isn't THAT bad, compatibility is generally pretty good, almost all major games work, but the main problem that appears on games across the board is lag, especially if you don't get a good MiniSD card.
MiniSD card speed should have nothing to do with GBA games lagging. GBA games are copied from the card to internal RAM before being executed, so after the game is loaded the miniSD card does nothing.

If you can stand the low capacity and slow writing speed of a NOR-based cart, I'd suggest going for the EFA-linker rather than the Supercard. I don't have any experience with the EFA-linker myself, but I'd imagine it's probably about the same as a Flash2Advance Ultra, which I do own. For DS stuff the Supercard is great, but if I need to do serious GBA gaming, it's the F2AU all the way.

EDIT: more info about the slowdowns can be found at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SupercardGBASlowdowns

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
supercard mini sd for gba s**k.. go buy m3 or ezflash instead...
supercard for gba not working well. too many slowdown, game freeze, graphic glitch, etc... example, slowdown in yoshi island, puzzle fighter, jet set radio, ffvi, etc and it can't even load rom like sigma star saga, phantasy star, advance war 2, etc...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries