Supercard DSTWO hands-on preview

Ghork

Trophies
XP
Country
Realized might be better to post this here...

"Does/will SupercardDSTwo support connecting to a wii in games?
My brothers R4 freeze when I try it and you cant play gba on R4 so I'm thinking of getting SupercardDSTwo even though I don't have any DS of my own (my brother rarely plays his)."

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
cant wait to get it

gbasp.gif
+
yaynds.gif
= me
biggrin.gif

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I'm soooooo looking forward to this...except for some small little 'niggles' that may change my mind

1) Why the hell 'Fish Tycoon' - can't we have something different ??
(Wouldn't it be nice if we could 'customise' that with a 'ripped' icon/header from a commercial game instead - 'Mario - SMB' anyone ??)
2) What'll happen when the 3DS comes out in 'October' - will the DSTwo still work ?? (or is it actually called the 'DSTwo 2-in-1', anyone noticed the sticker on it ??). I would hate it to buy this then find that it didn't (even AFTER a firmware patch)
3) Currently it's not 'complete' (the OS still needs work on it) - & that's putting me off ordering one just now

mnbv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
one fast thing i NEED to know.... is this better than the Acekard 2i! i really need to know that!

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dunno I think there are still too many open questions about this. Almost every feature that makes this cart unique doesn't yet exist according to the preview. To me, this makes me pause whether it's worth buying at all.

GBA support is there, but apparently no better than on the current iPlayer. At least one feature they've been touting is actually functional, though apparently it's just a re-hash of existing software.

Divx support - not working

SNES support - not working

Future auto Anti Piracy patching - until someone can show this with either an existing, or a fairly recent ROM it's still a non-feature in my book.

I will say that at least the GUI seems to be a bit cleaner and nicer than other flash carts. Though the fact that the video show the user 'trying' to use the stylus and failing is somewhat disconcerting.

Fish Tycoon as the loader is amusing
smile.gif

I certainly hope they are able to address what I consider gaping holes in their feature set before release. But considering that they're already giving out preview carts, one must wonder how far off some of these touted features are. You'd figure you would have these features working before going to manufacture.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mnbv said:
one fast thing i NEED to know.... is this better than the Acekard 2i! i really need to know that!

From the preview there's not much that's working that should sway you from the Acekard 2i if you haven't jumped ship already. It does have RTS and slow motion, but those are already available on the DSOnei. The only unique feature is GBA support at this point. If you absolutely need GBA support on your DSi, then the DSTwo is certainly better than the Acekard2i. If you want the RTS and slow motion, you can get those features via the current DSOnei instead.

mnbv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Overlord Nadrian said:
This thing's really a beast!
biggrin.gif
Now I must only convince my Mum this will be a good purchase
tongue.gif
just say that you never ever have to buy DS games ever again and show several videos where that happens.... i got my credit card 2 months ago so i can buy anything online!

Des_Kaje

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Seriously looks interesting. I still use my old Supercard Lite and I'm tired of constantly converting my .nds files. Because of that I was planning to buy a new card this week (the AceCard 2.1 seems like a fair option), but now I've seen this I think I'd better wait until SCDS2 is out. I really do hope that the functions that were not available in the preview-version will be available (and working!) in the retail version. I'm not too sure about preordering one just now, I'd rather wait until I can read the hands-on review with all pros and cons.

By the way, is there any information yet about other emulating options (such as NES, Neo Geo or perhaps GBC/GB?). I have always wanted to play Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons but somehow I can't create good savefiles using Goomba Color DS...
frown.gif

Beige

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
I'm soooooo looking forward to this...except for some small little 'niggles' that may change my mind

1) Why the hell 'Fish Tycoon' - can't we have something different ??
(Wouldn't it be nice if we could 'customise' that with a 'ripped' icon/header from a commercial game instead - 'Mario - SMB' anyone ??)
2) What'll happen when the 3DS comes out in 'October' - will the DSTwo still work ?? (or is it actually called the 'DSTwo 2-in-1', anyone noticed the sticker on it ??). I would hate it to buy this then find that it didn't (even AFTER a firmware patch)
3) Currently it's not 'complete' (the OS still needs work on it) - & that's putting me off ordering one just now

1) They look for titles that are not only exploitable, but will basically not piss off anyone important. If these things did have Mario or Zelda, they'd probably attract a lot more attention from the Big N. HackMii did a pretty good article on reverse-engineering an Action Replay DSi, which uses the same method as DSi flashcards to bypass the security.

2) Won't know until it comes out, just like when we learned about the XL and it's "enhanced piracy protection." I honestly think the 3DS is another Virtual Boy myself >.>

3) Well, hey, it's better to have some features working well than having all of the features working poorly. For now, the GBA emulator has been ported(?) over, the game compatibility is (near) perfect, and the in-game menu features are working. Most flash cards (hell, almost all of them) don't have an in-game menu in the first place.

Beige

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Des_Kaje said:
By the way, is there any information yet about other emulating options (such as NES, Neo Geo or perhaps GBC/GB?). I have always wanted to play Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons but somehow I can't create good savefiles using Goomba Color DS...
frown.gif

First off, I tip my hat to you for going on with your Slot-2 so long XD

NES and GB/C can be done pretty easily on pretty much any card, including most Slot-2 solutions. There's nesDS and lameboy. I'm guessing you should be able to figure out which is which.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
doyama said:
Future auto Anti Piracy patching - until someone can show this with either an existing, or a fairly recent ROM it's still a non-feature in my book.
Yup, would love to see that too. Especially with Dementium 2
wink.gif

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How can they be sure about being able to bypass ANY anti-piracy in the future? nintendo can get their hands on a DSTWO and look how it does it, then make future anti-piracy to not be able to be stopped by this.

so ANY anti-piracy, is not a good thing to say. you never know what the future will bring,

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
OMG!!!! I so cannot wait to get my hands on this. As long as that GBA emulator can play all the rockman titles and Mother III (and maybe a couple of other games I can't think of)...as long as it can play most of my GBA favs I'll be fine and as long as I can watch my Bleach/Hitman Reborn/FMAB without all this unneeded converting I'll be fine. Im getting so excited.

Beige

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ifish said:
How can they be sure about being able to bypass ANY anti-piracy in the future? nintendo can get their hands on a DSTWO and look how it does it, then make future anti-piracy to not be able to be stopped by this.

so ANY anti-piracy, is not a good thing to say. you never know what the future will bring,

It'll either be them or Square that will put out a game that will have an AP that specifically targets this device XD

Kithkarnon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Most likely the anti-AP system in will deploy will need patches, but not to the games, but to the firmware of the card itself. No doubt it will use the cpu to scan (or use from a list on known) AP against the image to build an "on-the-fly" patch to bypass the AP. Meaning if it is programmed to reconize AP type 1, the card will scan a rom looking for AP type 1 and automatically deal with it. They also might even be able to program the software so that even if the AP is type 1.1, if can reconize and deal with the protection on the fly. Look at how many games come out with AP that are solved using methods already done. This is just speculation on my part, but would make sense.

I hope the GBA emulation gets more flushed out in future firmwares, but given SC methods of keeping thier cards up-to-date, I would be suprised for them not to improve it.

I already pre-ordered one myself, love my AK2i, but I do have some reservations about depending on a 3rd party to keep the software up-to-date. I mean he has done an awesome job, but considering he does not make the hardware, will he always make the software.

The only question I have, which has never been anwsered (or I am blind), is does it run DSi Enchanced/Only games using the DSi features (which may never been worthwhile, but that is not the point)?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.