Super Nintendo Video Problem (Scrolling Horizontal Lines)

Monty Kensicle

Yay!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I got a "As-Is"Super Nintendo for a great deal from Venezuela of all places but I'm encountering some strange problems that I can't seem to find anywhere else online.

First of all it wouldn't turn on, simple. Fixed it by replacing the fuse.

Next this happens:

(Apologies for the Guerilla-style filmwork)

Here's what I've tested thus far:
Video cable works on another Nintendo system
Cleaned and checked pin connector for continuity
Tested system with both 9v 850ma and 12v 1amp power supplies
Clean and tested Game Paks
7805 voltage regulator is working as it should
None of the capacitors on the board appear to be bulging or leaking

Strangest thing about it is that the signal output by the system is being identified as PAL even though it's supposed to be a North American system.

So, is it beyond help? Thank you so much for you advice and input.

UPDATE: Spraying contact cleaner into the reset switch and wiggling it around changes the garbage output and occasionally the screen is blank upon reset but when that happens the TV identifies the signal as NTSC. Will get video of that soon.

Last edited by Monty Kensicle,

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
Considering the fuse was blown, there may have been a short of some kind that blew out something else in the console as well. Have a bad feeling about that.

Monty Kensicle

Yay!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Considering the fuse was blown, there may have been a short of some kind that blew out something else in the console as well. Have a bad feeling about that.
I initially thought so too, but the reason the fuse is there to begin with is to prevent a power surge and the like from damaging other components.

Had some matching caps on-hand so I swapped those out but still no joy.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
I initially thought so too, but the reason the fuse is there to begin with is to prevent a power surge and the like from damaging other components.
A fuse doesn't always protect an electronic from damage, unfortunately. They're also intended to prevent power draw and possibly a fire.

Take a very close look on the motherboard and smell it as well. You might notice a burnt smell.

Monty Kensicle

Yay!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
A fuse doesn't always protect an electronic from damage, unfortunately. They're also intended to prevent power draw and possibly a fire.

Take a very close look on the motherboard and smell it as well. You might notice a burnt smell.
No scorch marks and no smell. Did notice some crud on the pads next to some of the SMD capacitors.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://gbatemp.net/threads/videos-not-working-on-certain-sites-w-ms-edge-browser.645937/