COMPLETED Super Meat Boy Original Music Mod

Discussion in 'Switch - ROM Hacking, Saves, Translations & Tools' started by 730, Aug 6, 2018.

1. 730
    OP

730 Professional Shitposter

Apr 2, 2015
    Argentina
    This mod replaces the music of Super Meat Boy with the original by Danny Baranowsky, much like this mod for Wii U: https://gbatemp.net/threads/super-meat-boy-pc-soundtrack-mod-for-wii-u-w-sdcafiine.493981

Requirements:
    -Zip attached to this post
    -LayeredFS
    -Files for the PC version of Super Meat Boy
    -Windows

Instructions:
    -Download the zip attached to this post and extract the contents in some folder.
    -Copy the 'gameaudio.dat' file in Super Meat Boy's folder (located somewhere like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Super Meat Boy if you're using Steam) to the folder where you extracted the zip.
    -Run the 'convert.bat' in the extracted zip folder. This can take a while since it has to convert all music files from WAV to OGG Vorbis.
    -When it's done, there will be a folder named '01004F8006A78000'. Move this folder to the folder 'atmosphere/titles' in your Switch's SD (I'm not sure about this since I haven't tried ReiNX or anything else but if you've got that then the 'titles' folder should be inside the 'ReiNX' folder or some other folder named like the CFW you're using).
    -Put SD in your Switch and boot with LayeredFS.
    -Run Super Meat Boy and it should work.

Credits:
    SoX and all the libraries it uses - http://sox.sourceforge.net
    Alin Baciu - Super Meat Boy sound and data unpacker

Attached Files:

Last edited by 730, Aug 15, 2018 - Reason: updated script
    Bravalerie, DarkUnixOs, Cyan and 2 others like this.
  2. ThomasWii

ThomasWii Member

Mar 8, 2008
    United Kingdom
    England
    Sweet! Thanks I'll use this.

Edit: Works, but folder had to be named "01004F8006A78000" for me not "01004F8006A780000000000000000003" but that may be specific to my CFW.

Last edited by ThomasWii, Aug 6, 2018
    730 likes this.
  3. CoolFangs

CoolFangs Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Michigan
    I'm so glad to see someone made this. The game just isn't the same without Danny's amazing soundtrack.

Vorde and 730 like this.
  4. Nazosan

Nazosan GBAtemp Fan

May 12, 2009
    United States
    Thank you thank you thank you! I was so upset when I bought the game only to find the soundtrack was some "similar" thing that wasn't nearly as good. I honestly felt a bit gypped because there was no note or warning or anything that they did this horrible thing. And don't get me wrong, the similar soundtrack they used isn't actually bad, it just isn't as great.

What about using files from the official soundtrack? Even if the source is MP3 it should still be better than the ADPCM the original game seems to be using.

I think that isn't CFW specific.

Last edited by Nazosan, Aug 12, 2018
    730 likes this.
  5. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Thank you for making an easy converter (instead of sharing already converted files).

730 likes this.
  6. 730
    OP

Apr 2, 2015
    Argentina
    Those loop and have a fadeout, would have to edit every single one of them (which still can't be shared through here so...). That's beyond the scope of this, besides at that point I might as well use it as a mod for the PC version too.
    Also, I think the quality of those files is already good enough, the MP3s from the OST might just be the exact same thing but extended. Quality is always going to end up getting lost anyways when re-encoding to Ogg Vorbis which is what the Switch version reads.

7. Nazosan

Nazosan GBAtemp Fan

May 12, 2009
    United States
    Ok. Well, it had to be asked anyway. You make a good point there about the loops, though what I was saying about the quality is that the loss should be minimized. Still, I've messed with trying to get something to loop before manually and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

8. 730
    OP

Apr 2, 2015
    Argentina
    It's not that the game files loop, the MP3s from the OST have at least an additional loop, the game files simply loop by going back to the beginning of the track, there aren't any actual loop points. So what I'm saying is you'd just need to cut the MP3s from the OST at specific points. Still, even with a script, that would take some time and effort, and in the end I doubt the quality would be improved much, if at all.

9. 730
    This message by 730 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 13, 2018, Reason: Dupe.
    Aug 13, 2018
  10. Njosnavelin

Njosnavelin Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2006
    Has anyone managed to get this to work on SXOS?

11. Nazosan

Nazosan GBAtemp Fan

May 12, 2009
    United States
    It shouldn't know the difference. This just is layeredfs. However, in SX OS you need to put layeredfs stuff in /sxos/titles/whatever instead of /atmosphere/titles or /reinx/titles or etc. Also, as ThomasWii says, you must use the normal title ID 01004F8006A78000, not that full length 01004F8006A780000000000000000003, so the title's folder may need to be renamed.

12. 730
    OP

Apr 2, 2015
    Argentina
    Updated script with the corrected title ID

13. MagicMan2k

MagicMan2k Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2018
    United States
    All the files are still WAV for me is that normal?

14. Nazosan

Nazosan GBAtemp Fan

May 12, 2009
    United States
    As I recall it produced some .wav files that were actually OGG Vorbis files with the wrong extension if that's what you mean. But I think those were just the intermediary files. You should have a set of files specifically for the layeredfs. Anyway, just try the output with the game and see if it works.

Speaking of all this, is there any way this could be applied to a NSP version of the game without layeredfs now? It seems layeredfs is being dropped by many like ReiNX because it can be a bit unstable at times. I have personally only had problems with one game (Okami HD which for some reason hard freezes when creating the initial save data with layeredfs active even though I don't have it actually doing anything for that specific title) but it seems to be the prevailing attitude that it should be left out for now. All I can think of is it would have to involve rebuilding the game with this modification in place or something, but I wouldn't even have a clue how to begin.

15. 730
    OP

Apr 2, 2015
    Argentina
    yes, the files have to be named .wav but they're vorbis format

16. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Wait, if it's not using the original soundtrack, then what is it using? I've only ever played the original PC version.

17. 730
    OP

Apr 2, 2015
    Argentina
    a new one made by Ridiculon. The PS4/Vita/Wii U/Switch versions have it

18. Nerdtendo

Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    Why did they change soundtracks?

19. 730
    OP

Apr 2, 2015
    Argentina
    internal problems between Edmund and Danny (composer), they had a disagreement or something and drifted apart, so Danny didn't give him permission to use his soundtrack in newer releases of the game.

Nazosan likes this.
  20. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I will have to check out the new soundtrack. I loved the original. Is it the same songs but remade, or is it completely different songs?

21. HtheB

HtheB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2006
    Netherlands
    Bize Her Yer Trabzon
    The game is not enjoyable with the absence of the old original music.
    There is a pre modded NSP floating around the web now :P

Nazosan likes this.
  22. 730
    OP

Apr 2, 2015
    Argentina
    it's completely different and doesn't fit the game, DannyB is just too good

Nazosan and The Real Jdbye like this.