ROM Hack Super Mario Land DX mod

toxic9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Probably all of you have heard about the Super Mario Land DX colorized version of this GameBoy masterpiece.

Most of the people complained about Mario character, as the author of this DX version chose to upgrade it for some reason.

I patched it to bring back the old school character, but there is some bugs due to how the colorization works.

Is anyone with "know-how", interested in helping improving these bugs?

You can find the patch on the same site as the DX patch.
I don't know if I can link to it.

Edit:
Romhacking.net - Hacks - Super Mario Land DX mod

Last edited by toxic9, , Reason: add link
Reactions: cvskid and Titney

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably all of you have heard about the Super Mario Land DX colorized version of this GameBoy masterpiece.

Most of the people complained about Mario character, as the author of this DX version chose to upgrade it for some reason.

I patched it to bring back the old school character, but there is some bugs due to how the colorization works.

Is anyone with "know-how", interested in helping improving these bugs?

You can find the patch on the same site as the DX patch.
I don't know if I can link to it.
Is it romhacking.net?

toxic9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: Titney

toruzz

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, good job. This is one of the biggest complaints with my hack and I'll eventually address the problem, but this might be a solution for now.

You can find Mario sprite data in $1C153. It's stored in 4 bytes blocks with the OAM pattern:
byte0: posY
byte1: posX
byte2: tile no.
byte3: attrs (palettes)

So you might be interested in changing bytes 2 and 3 every 4 bytes. For example, to fix Mario in his standing position, you'd have to write this:
FC F9 00 00 FC 01 01 00 02 F9 10 00 02 01 11 00 80
Also notice sprite data is read until a $80 is found - that's the way to remove the extra tiles.

You might also want to change Mario's palette. Finding Mario's palettes should be easy enough: just look at the loaded palettes with a debugger, swap the bytes and search them in an hex editor. For example, you can write this to $159E0 to get Mario's NES colors on Level 1-1:
77 77 BF 3A 5A 08 ED 00

I hope this helps!

toxic9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, good job. This is one of the biggest complaints with my hack and I'll eventually address the problem, but this might be a solution for now.

You can find Mario sprite data in $1C153. It's stored in 4 bytes blocks with the OAM pattern:
byte0: posY
byte1: posX
byte2: tile no.
byte3: attrs (palettes)

So you might be interested in changing bytes 2 and 3 every 4 bytes. For example, to fix Mario in his standing position, you'd have to write this:
FC F9 00 00 FC 01 01 00 02 F9 10 00 02 01 11 00 80
Also notice sprite data is read until a $80 is found - that's the way to remove the extra tiles.

You might also want to change Mario's palette. Finding Mario's palettes should be easy enough: just look at the loaded palettes with a debugger, swap the bytes and search them in an hex editor. For example, you can write this to $159E0 to get Mario's NES colors on Level 1-1:
77 77 BF 3A 5A 08 ED 00

I hope this helps!

Hi @toruzz!

I hope you are not angry with me for messing with your work.
It's an amazing job and all the credits are yours.
I'm not a fan of hacking, but I decided to contribute for the community =)

toruzz

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi toruzz!

I hope you are not angry with me for messing with your work.
It's an amazing job and all the credits are yours.
I'm not a fan of hacking, but I decided to contribute for the community =)
Thanks! And don't worry, of course I'm not angry.
ShadowOne333 did something similar a while ago, he wrote some of his notes in SDA's thread.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in finishing this I think my previous post has everything needed to do so.

EDIT: Apparently I can't mention users or link threads as my post count is < 5, lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/owEOnspRpVk?si=rEd1m4Yi0aTKvjiv