See ya suckers
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New Mario verdict in: tricky, but could be the best yet

QUOTE said:
Planning to pick up the newest Super Mario game this Sunday? According to critics, you're in for one heck of a ride. The verdict's in: Super Mario Galaxy 2 is one of the Italian plumber's best-ever outings -- and considering the solid-gold quality of many of his past games, that's a tremendous achievement.

IGN was one of the first to weigh in, giving the game a perfect 10 -- their first since 2008's Metal Gear Solid 4 -- and calling it "absolutely amazing."

Particularly impressed by the way the game's structure will make Mario noobs feel at home, "It might be designed to be accessible to anyone of any skill level, but it's the hardcore completionists who really get the reward" IGN said, concluding "this is the absolute pinnacle of Mario gameplay: everything that makes a Mario game so incredibly fun is represented here."

But IGN's take on the game's accessibility isn't shared by everyone, notably CVG, which points out that, in its later sections, "Galaxy 2 is a significantly more challenging game than the first, and you're barely standing on a surface that's not moving, dissolving or swinging you in the direction of a black hole."

"We can't see many of the majority of Wii's audience making it to the end of the game," CVG said, "let alone the super-tough secret stages beyond that...good news for the hardcore then, but not necessarily for the spouses and relatives who enjoyed the original Galaxy."

Giant Bomb's Ryan Davis doesn't necessarily agree, saying "I don't think Galaxy 2 is actually that much more difficult than the first, it's just that a lot of the harder stuff ends up being part of the critical path," and also hauls out the site's highest accolade: a 5-star perfect score. Mario's latest is "as consistently exciting and inventive as ever," he says, concluding that "when [Nintendo] brings its A-game, it's still able to deliver a fun, accessible game experience that's second to none."

1UP also fell in love with Galaxy 2, awarding it an A, and saying "'more of the same' doesn't have to be a bad thing." Far from it: "this fan-service laden sequel feels just as new as the first Mario Galaxy," 1UP said, singling out the "sweeping" orchestral score and the "ingenious" level design for particular praise, saying they "[speak] to a level of craftsmanship that only comes from years of refinement and reinvention."

Looking for a dissenting voice? Beyond a few minor points of contention, you won't find one: at the time of writing, no outlet has scored the game below a 9/10, and fully half of them (including several outlets usually known for their stinginess with scores) have given it a perfect score. It's currently at an aggregate score of 97% on Metacritic.com, marginally behind its predecessor, Super Mario Galaxy, which currently remains the best reviewed Wii game ever. But scores are still coming in, and while its ranking may change over the next week or so, it's clearly among the very top tier of Nintendo's output. You won't be disappointed.
Source

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
No doubt in my mind got to the secong world, Im taking it all in also taking my time over this masterpeice, got to be the best game ever, ever to date!!! a must have.
yaywii.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are people who never got into Galaxy who love Galaxy 2. Its one of those games that throws something different at you every now and again and so it never becomes stale.

Its certainly an instant classic one I don't see diminishing with age but will be some time before we can consider it for best game ever or even best Mario.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HaniKazmi said:
Best game ever? Probably not. Best game yet? Definately. I havent had this much fun with a game in ages. And its actually hard this time around.
Yeah, it probably won't be the best game ever, and if it will, it won't be for a while. The best game ever is... Ocarina of Time, right? I hated that game.

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1. Who though random tripping was a good idea?
2. Too many of the characters are clones
3. Too unbalanced unless you only play final destination with no items.
4. Shitty, laggy online.

thats just off the top of my head. I'm not saying its a bad game, just not the best game ever.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mezut360 said:
like what?

Shitty online, bad character balancing. It's by far not considered the best fighting game.

It's certainly one of the best games ever made, Galaxy 2, but IDK if I'd give it the title of "best". Yet again I don't consider any one game to be "the best game".

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mezut360 said:
like what?
Poorly implemented co-op play, camera not always responsive, some characters are useless to play, friend codes, single player fighting isn't that great.

While most wont care when playing with friends, the above proves its not a perfect and so can't be best game ever. Preferred Melee anyway.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Like Hadrian said, some people are getting into this, yet they couldn't get into the first one. I feel that way. I've been loving every minute of this game, and it's great. It's not THE best game out there in my opinion, but it definitely is one of the best to me.

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
referencer said:
HaniKazmi said:
Playing that way vastly exacerbates the balance issues, not the other way around.
Not really. I can beat any character using any character on that stage against my brother. Any other stage, or items enabled and we both win about half the time.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Not this again.
Had the same newsposts when the first one came out, I hate the title 'best game ever.'
That title is purely subjective, my best game ever is CoD 2, I know no one on the temp agrees with that, but so what, that's my opinion.

SMG 1 and 2 are both fantastic games, I usually don't like these kind of games, but even I must agree that when you play either, you can just sense the perfection in those games, everything feels perfect.
I'm sad I don't like these games so much, I suck at them, else I would learn to appreciate these games more.
The fact that several websites give them a perfect score just proves that hyping games up still is rampant.
The game is very good, but I doubt there really aren't weak points and if it doesn't get old soon.

referencer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
HaniKazmi said:
referencer said:
HaniKazmi said:
Playing that way vastly exacerbates the balance issues, not the other way around.
Not really. I can beat any character using any character on that stage against my brother. Any other stage, or items enabled and we both win about half the time.
That doesn't mean anything except that you're good on Final Destination.

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
referencer said:
HaniKazmi said:
referencer said:
HaniKazmi said:
That doesn't mean anything except that you're good on Final Destination.
Whichever way around it is then, we can both agree that its unbalanced except in a few special cases?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i got bored of the 1st smg game, and haven't even touched the 2nd as i am busy with my ps3, i don't personally think this is the best mario game ever, super mario world on the snes has the title of that, but i don't expect you kids to remember that game.

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
i got bored of the 1st smg game, and haven't even touched the 2nd as i am busy with my ps3, i don't personally think this is the best mario game ever, super mario world on the snes has the title of that, but i don't expect you kids to remember that game.
You're judging it without even having played it? I've played super mario world (along with every single other major mario game) and i still consider this to be the best mario game yet.

edit: oops, extra word.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    WPiso @ WPiso: m