Homebrew Super Mario 64 Port

JVF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Do the new forks present an upgrade over the Gericom builds on n3DS as well? If so, what?
In terms of performance, I think the old build already works well for New models. mkst's fork contains experimental features like 3D and a mini-map.
Is there a Tutorial on how to Compile 3DS CIAs on Windows?
There is one in the github wiki I linked before: https://github.com/mkst/sm64-port/wiki/Convert-a-.3dsx-to-.cia-via-MSYS2. Although I personally use this thing https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-elf-to-cia-convertor.414648/page-3#post-6439358 to convert the resulting .elf file to .cia (just change every name, banner and icons, and if you have an old 3DS, you may be interested in changing the "MaxCPU" value inside the .rsf file).

D

Deleted User

The new build runs great on the 1st Gen 3DS systems, whoa!

Got a question, would it be possible to make Mario 64 DS have widescreen support and run natively on 3DS like this port?

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
The new build runs great on the 1st Gen 3DS systems, whoa!

Got a question, would it be possible to make Mario 64 DS have widescreen support and run natively on 3DS like this port?
I don't think so, because Mario 64 for DS is not yet "reverse-engineered" to obtain his source code like Mario 64 for N64 was

Edit: But, widescreen for that game could be possible using TWLMenu++, I believe (but that haven't any relationship with something like a port for 3DS)

Last edited by fmkid,
Reactions: Deleted User

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@JVF
Smoker1-MSi@MSI MINGW64 ~/sm64-port/3dstools
# ./cxitool ../sm64-port/build/us_3ds/sm64.us.f3dex2e.3dsx sm64.cxi
Cannot open input file: ../sm64-port/build/us_3ds/sm64.us.f3dex2e.3dsx

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@JVF
Stuck on 3dsx - CXI - CIA Build for 3DS.jpg

JVF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@JVF
Smoker1-MSi@MSI MINGW64 ~/sm64-port/3dstools
# ./cxitool ../sm64-port/build/us_3ds/sm64.us.f3dex2e.3dsx sm64.cxi
Cannot open input file: ../sm64-port/build/us_3ds/sm64.us.f3dex2e.3dsx

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@JVF
View attachment 227167
I never used that tool so I don't know, but looks like it doesn't find the files; have you tried to put everything in the same folder?

porygonz2001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hi all, ryotoko made a commit to the @mkst repo, this commit fixes some important 3D issues. In a short time I've been using it on my N3DS, text doesn't poke your eyes anymore, and there is no more clipping at the edges of the screen, 3D seems pretty usable for the time being. Many thanks to ryotoko for this fixes!

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Hi all, ryotoko made a commit to the @mkst repo, this commit fixes some important 3D issues. In a short time I've been using it on my N3DS, text doesn't poke your eyes anymore, and there is no more clipping at the edges of the screen, 3D seems pretty usable for the time being. Many thanks to ryotoko for this fixes!

That sounds great as those were the main issues holding back the 3D implementation. Is the 3D pop in/clipping effect on the edges of the screen totally gone now or just reduced?

Reactions: porygonz2001

porygonz2001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I think is gone, I haven't seen it in the time I've been playing with the new build. I really recommend building again with that commit, it improves 3D a lot, including menus and even the 3D Mario face of the intro.

mkst

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Me again.

ryotoko has been working hard on the 3D effect and now the 3DS port will build with stereoscopic 3D support by default.

Due to the memory limits of the 3DS it is not possible to enable AA when 3D is also enabled; so your options (via bottom-screen menu) are currently:
  • 400px (3D effect via slider)
  • 800px (3D effect disabled, slider has no effect)
  • 800px with AA (as above)
When I find the time I'll enable AA support in 400px mode when the slider is down (i.e. 3D is disabled). Currently hitting the AA button does nothing if you are in 400px mode.

The changes to the 3D are off the back of my changes to how fog is rendered (using built-in fog support vs. drawing fog triangles twice) which should have had a positive impact on performance on levels like JRB on O3DS.

There are still a handful of bugs that would be good to have fixed, but this port in a pretty good place - even if I do say so myself :)

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
There are still a handful of bugs that would be good to have fixed, but this port in a pretty good place - even if I do say so myself :)

I'd say its the best 3D effect I've seen on any game on the console. There are points where Mario is literally popping out of the screen and even on the intro when the Laitku comes flying in the sensation of depth is incredible.

Truly makes it the ultimate version of the game as it literally feels like playing a new title with the 3D effect. The pop in/glitching is now all gone, the only issues I've noticed are some stuttering when text boxes pop up and if there are large animations/lot going on screen but these are infrequent.

All in all a great update so props to all involved.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In terms of performance, I think the old build already works well for New models. mkst's fork contains experimental features like 3D and a mini-map.

There is one in the github wiki I linked before: https://github.com/mkst/sm64-port/wiki/Convert-a-.3dsx-to-.cia-via-MSYS2. Although I personally use this thing https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-elf-to-cia-convertor.414648/page-3#post-6439358 to convert the resulting .elf file to .cia (just change every name, banner and icons, and if you have an old 3DS, you may be interested in changing the "MaxCPU" value inside the .rsf file).
but where is the tutorial to actually build the game in the 1st place , this is just to convert a 3dsx to a cia but how do we even build the 3dsx to begin with?

Last edited by weatMod,

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK........I just Compiled the 3DS Port Successfully, however, there is no Icon Art, no Splash, the TitleID is different, no "Here we goooo" Sound when highlighting the Game, and none of the 3D, or other Features. Source is the mkst Source. I think he should have a instruction of what Setting to have when going for the Build, that way, Users can specify what they want.

EDIT - Specifically, I was wanting to Build a 3D, No Frame Skip, 60FPS Variant.

Last edited by Smoker1,
Reactions: weatMod

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A bit of politeness doesn't hurt man.
i don't think i was being rude i was just asking the question but NM this is too hard there are no directions or tutorials at all and the 2 links in that post are of no help at all one is for converting a 3dsx into a cia but not how to compile the game in the 1st place and the other linek well i'm not even sure what that is for exactly but it is missing files and there is a broken link in the thread to one file and no link to another file it says you need in the last post in that thread ,so i give up i will wait till someone else compiles it and uploads it someplace
i am able to compile it for PC with Sm64 builder but i have no clue on where to even begin to compile for 3ds

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
i don't think i was being rude i was just asking the question but NM this is too hard there are no directions or tutorials at all and the 2 links in that post are of no help at all one is for converting a 3dsx into a cia but not how to compile the game in the 1st place and the other linek well i'm not even sure what that is for exactly but it is missing files and there is a broken link in the thread to one file and no link to another file it says you need in the last post in that thread ,so i give up i will wait till someone else compiles it and uploads it someplace
i am able to compile it for PC with Sm64 builder but i have no clue on where to even begin to compile for 3ds
There's plenty of tutorials. The Git repos have one and there's also this thread.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/help-with-compiling-super-mario-64-3ds.572949/

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's plenty of tutorials. The Git repos have one and there's also this thread.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/help-with-compiling-super-mario-64-3ds.572949/
ok i see it uses python , i hate using python
because i do things that require specific version and legacy versions but i forget which versions i have installed on which computers and i forget what i need the older version for
every time i use it i end up messing up one thing or another
because you cant have both versions installed
i think i use one for something to do with my fire tablets but i forget noe, i think i need 2.8 or something for something but i always forget what

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
because you cant have both versions installed
Yes you can. You just invoke it by version number. Say you need 2.7, you'd call it with "python27". If you need 3, you'd use "python3". By issuing just "python", it defaults to the highest version you have installed, but you can specify the version you need if you have multiple installations.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s