Super Mario 3D World Excludes Online Multiplayer

masterchan777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
gaming-super-mario-3d-world-screenshot-6.jpg

Koichi Hayashida and Yoshiaki Koizumi, director and producer of the new mario game, conducted an interview with time. In it they said that the upcoming Wii U exclusive Super Mario 3D World will only support local multiplayer.

Core platform Mario games have a mixed history with multiplayer. The first NES game is well noted for the alternating characters multiplayer for two people. Other games have featured multiplayer modes and more recently later entries in the 2d throwback "New Super Mario Brothers" have featured four player on the same screen at the same time multiplayer. Nintendo's efforts in the online arena have long been criticised as lacklustre and many might take this as a sign that such a position has not changed despite claims to the contrary. Futhermore the Wii U's tablet controller had several "alternative screen" demos featuring the tablet as an auxiliary controller with Mario being an example in them.
Is this a dealbreaker for you or does it not matter as much? It should also be noted the Rayman series, now often positioned as the main rival or even superior to the NSMB series, also does not feature online play in the upcoming Rayman Legends or its predecessor "Rayman Origins" but does have an online "challenge mode". Fellow Nintendo title Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon does feature it as does one time franchise rival Sonic the Hedgehog.

:arrow: Source

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo should really work towards getting a better online service in general so that decisions like this no longer exist. Nintendo is the only company who still pulls "local play only" on most of their titles that offer some form of multiplayer. It's a shame that in an internet connected world, Nintendo can't seem to take advantage of one service that people love.

Gabbynaruto

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Personally, I don't mind that. Local multiplayer is always much much better than anything online multiplayer related. Plus, we're talking Mario here. Why would you want to play online? I can understand Mario Kart, but Super Mario 3D World? The only purpose of an online multiplayer mode would be to annoy each and every person when the one(s) you're playing with will steal all your items and coins. I'm happy with this, really. Online multiplayers should be a focus in games like X or Mario Kart, but no way in a platformer like Mario.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
A lot of my friends have moved. It's increasingly less common for me to have enough people over that want to play Mario together and more common that I'll jump in a 4 player Left 4 Dead 2 match with friends online.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Look at the dummies in this thread :D

Seriously, Mario games like this are built for playing on the same couch. You simply wouldn't get the same experience playing online with a bunch of randoms. You'd always have that one dick hole screwing everything up or taking everything.

Games like Mario Kart yeah, online is great, and they're adding it to MK8. But for games like New Super Mario Bros or Mario World? No, fuck that.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Seriously, Mario games like this are built for playing on the same couch. You simply wouldn't get the same experience playing online with a bunch of randoms. You'd always have that one dick hole screwing everything up or taking everything.

Games like Mario Kart yeah, online is great, and they're adding it to MK8. But for games like New Super Mario Bros or Mario World? No, fuck that.
Considering if there was a certain voice chat option AND online with friends, it isn't as stupid as you think and online WOULD work in this case.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Considering if there was a certain voice chat option AND online with friends, it isn't as stupid as you think and online WOULD work in this case.

Yeah with friends, that's it. But still, these games are designed to be most enjoyable with a couch. Like NSMB U, do you think it would be as fun screwing the players up with the gamepad if it was someone over the internet? No.

This game is no different. The better experience is the couch.

Reactions: 431unknown

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah with friends, that's it. But still, these games are designed to be most enjoyable with a couch. Like NSMB U, do you think it would be as fun screwing the players up with the gamepad if it was someone over the internet? No.

This game is no different. The better experience is the couch.
There are times that some people just cannot do that, so it's better not to alienate all the players and make the 2 options available.

D

Deleted_171835

Disappointing but not exactly a dealbreaker.

Nintendo should really work towards getting a better online service in general so that decisions like this no longer exist. Nintendo is the only company who still pulls "local play only" on most of their titles that offer some form of multiplayer. It's a shame that in an internet connected world, Nintendo can't seem to take advantage of one service that people love.
There's nothing in their online infrastructure preventing them from implementing multiplayer here, this isn't the Wii. The reason it's not a feature is simply because Nintendo doesn't feel it worth spending resources to implement it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

They said similar things about FPS games
They said similar things about fighting games, hell they said similar things about arcades and home consoles.
They said similar things about RTS games
Some especially cretinous types said similar things about turn based strategy (though I think 3DO would still be around if they had done heroes of might and magic play by email).
They said similar things about role playing games and well look how that turned out.

D

Deleted User

It definitely isn't the same experience.
That's like saying watching an online concert is the equivalent of actually going to said concert.
I think it was wise for them to not include online multiplayer.
No lag, good laughs/fun, and the competitive aspect is better.
I'm pretty sure they considered online multiplayer but ruled it out because it didn't fit their vision of what they wanted this game to be.

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It definitely isn't the same experience.
That's like saying watching an online concert is the equivalent of actually going to said concert.
I think it was wise for them to not include online multiplayer.
No lag, good laughs/fun, and the competitive aspect is better.
I'm pretty sure they considered online multiplayer but ruled it out because it didn't fit their vision of what they wanted this game to be.
I never said it was the same experience but again, it's not A worse experience if you include voice chat option and online with only friends you know. It's been done with plenty of games and it had no problems. And imo, I don't think there would be any probs in this case.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They said similar things about FPS games
They said similar things about fighting games, hell they said similar things about arcades and home consoles.
They said similar things about RTS games
Some especially cretinous types said similar things about turn based strategy (though I think 3DO would still be around if they had done heroes of might and magic play by email).
They said similar things about role playing games and well look how that turned out.

Not all of those types of games would have been that fun on the multiplayer though. Sure some of them have benefited from it, but not all would have. For example, look at Goldeneye on the 64. That's one of those games that is just much better having the opponent a few feet from you, hence why it's still being played in tournaments, over the other Goldeneye/Bond games.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not all of those types of games would have been that fun on the multiplayer though. Sure some of them have benefited from it, but not all would have. For example, look at Goldeneye on the 64. That's one of those games that is just much better having the opponent a few feet from you, hence why it's still being played in tournaments, over the other Goldeneye/Bond games.

I try never to underestimate rose tinted goggles, however that is not what I want to argue -- Perfect dark, probably the very definition of spiritual sequel, got an XBLA remake with online multiplayer.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A mario platforming game with online co-op would sell Wii U console units.
Seriously people love that.
It's not needed per se I suppose but it'll only help them.
They should at least considering making an online multiplayer update later and set the ground work for it for later.
Would seem smart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended