Super Mario 3d Land E3 Beta on Sky3ds?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by drybones99, Nov 1, 2016.

1. drybones99
    OP

drybones99 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2015
    United States
    I just bought a Sky3ds so that I could play the original SM3DL E3 Beta (sm_retail.3ds, sm_dev.3ds, sm_gateway.3ds), but no version of it will run. I've tried the .cia versions of all of those files as well, to no avail. A stock Super Mario 3d Land rom will work fine. Is there any way, Sky3ds or otherwise, to run this beta? The only way I've been able to run it is through the Citra emulator, which is too slow at this moment, and lacks sound.

2. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I'd guess beta software requires a dev unit to run cause of the different signature. But I'm not sure. Somebody has to confirm this.

Sky3ds can only run properly signed retail games. You need a gateway/dstwo+ to run the game on a retail unit.

Last edited by GothicIII, Nov 1, 2016
  3. drybones99
    OP

drybones99 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2015
    United States
    Is there a way to do it using homebrew, which I have installed? How about the DSTWO+ in Gateway emulation?

4. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    you need to be on cfw or using gateway to run it, it will not work on sky3ds as it's not a retail cart and isn't signed

5. DeadlyEdge

DeadlyEdge Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    I'm curious about the beta version. Can anyone PM me the .cia for it? I actually want to play it now and can't find it in search results.

Edit: Never mind I found it.

Last edited by DeadlyEdge, Nov 1, 2016
  6. drybones99
    OP

drybones99 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2015
    United States
    Which CFW would you recommend for running it?

7. DeadlyEdge

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    I just used Luma3DS to play the beta and it ran fine. It was a interesting romp through it and I am keeping it on my 3DS for preservation purposes.

8. drybones99
    OP

drybones99 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2015
    United States
    Since I am a total noob at this, could you tell me how you got it working with Luma3DS? I installed Luma3DS, but I can't access the homebrew launcher now.

9. DeadlyEdge

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    I'd honestly just go the Arm9loaderhax route. If you follow this guide to the letter you should be fine. https://plailect.github.io/Guide/

10. drybones99
    OP

drybones99 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2015
    United States
    I went the Arm9loaderhax route, and succeeded, being able to play the beta properly. Thanks for the information. Anyway, do you know of any other game betas in the .cia format, or other interesting programs?

11. DeadlyEdge

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    Nope I was researching it myself using The Cutting Room Floor because I was curious about that as well. That's too bad really. I hope more prototypes get leaked for 3DS in the future.