ROM Hack Summon Night X ~Tears Crown~ - SL TP

Will you play this game if it gets fully translated say, 10 months from now?

• Yes

Votes: 179 88.6%
  • Maybe/I'd like to if I can

Votes: 22 10.9%
  • No/I'm a punk

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blazer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SNXbanner.png

This thread is for an English translation project of Summon Night X ~Tears Crown~. We are different from the previous translations/groups and are doing most of the work from scratch (especially considering most of the work wasn't done), which is why we have decided to create our own topic.

This will be used to relay updates regarding progress and communicate with others regarding the game and its translation.

Our small team is called "Summon Light", based off of the name of the game "Summon Night". The topic title "SL TP" stands for "Summon Light Translation Project". Our goal is to shine light onto the darkness of Summon Night games that haven't been translated. For all of those who look at Japanese and are... well, in the dark, we plan to illuminate your way through the game so you can finally enjoy it in all its brilliant glory. (Alright, enough with the light metaphors, I know.)

Our Team:

Macaronron (Chief/Only Translator, The Guy You Should Be Thanking)
Blazer (Hacker, Manager, Proofreader, Miscellaneous)

Progress:

We were going to release a menu patch, but at the moment we no longer have plans to do so. We're keeping progress relatively under wraps and just want to focus on actually making said progress, but rest assured we're both working and Macaronron is working especially hard and quickly (I'm kind of a slacker but I'm doing my best to support, lol).

That being said we also don't feel that we're ready to show off screenshots or anything quite yet, sorry. When we're ready, we most definitely will, we know how much it means to some people.

How You Can Help:

- Don't bother us with annoying questions etc., excuse my bluntness but that's the downfall of a lot of translation projects :P
- Play the game when it's done
- If you're very well-versed in Japanese and English, you can help us translate.
- If you're good at graphical text, especially in a style of that of a video game (e.g. mimicking a Japanese font to make an English counterpart), we could use your help.
- If you're very good at/experienced in hacking, I don't mind the help.

If necessary, you can contact by PMing me on GBATemp.net or e-mailing me at [email protected].

Right now we're not looking for proofreaders because they tend to suck and not actually do anythingwe're not ready for it, and by the same tone we're not looking for betatesters, so though we appreciate the sentiment, there's no reason to offer at the moment, and we thank you for your eagerness to help. :)

Credits:

- DarthNemesis (SummonTransX)
- All others who worked on previous projects, regardless of whether or not their work was used or not (and most of it isn't, sorry), for their efforts
- Community, for existing and giving the project purpose

---------------

With all this being said, there's no screenshots, no downloads, just a bunch of text, so what's the point of making this? Simple--I'm sure plenty of people have lost hope in translation efforts and we want to let you know we're still at it. The best thing you can do is following updates and letting us know you're still following it and finally, playing it when it's done.

The translation project is, after all, a project for the community to enjoy, and it's easy to lose motivation or feel like all our work is pointless if we see that people aren't really paying attention to the game anymore and wouldn't play it even if it WERE translated (for whatever reason, whether they're no longer interested or simply aren't aware of the translation efforts).

Updates:

November 9th, 2013 - Project thread created for sake of existing/organization.

December 1st, 2014 - I kind of died (sorry), but this isn't dead (yet). See: Tales of Vesperia translation. http://talesofvesperia.net/

October 21st, 2015 - Back to grunt work. Might take another year. Also, go buy Summon Night 5 to support the series and its localization out west.

Last edited by Blazer,

Blazer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, well, can't be helped I guess? AFAIK they didn't really sell well. We'll translate what we can and maybe we'll get a new one and enough people will support it so that it starts getting localized... if they're even making new SN games, I wouldn't even know >___>

macaronron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A quick lesson in recent Summon Nights:
Summon Night X was released in 2009; the other two DS Summon Nights that haven't been released in English are remakes of 1 and 2, with a few added features like the party skill system and the ability to save at the preparation screen before a battle, and they were released in 2008. Granthese came out in 2010 for the PS2 and has certain elements in common with Ex-Theses which was released on the PS2 in 2005. (Same year as Hajimari no Ishi.)

Now, 3 and 4 were both rereleased onto the PSP in 2012, with changes to the Brave system (the original PS2's brave system required you to be under a certain level, while the PSP Summon Nights, including 5, give you a certain amount of Brave Points for certain conditions you fulfill during a fight; some of those conditions are standard across all story battles, while some are unique) an expanded gallery, which now records Night Conversations/Night Chats, and a few event illustrations.

Summon Night 5, the latest in the series, came out just this year, once again on the PSP, making the jump into 3D with a story set a couple of centuries and a cataclysmic war after the previous main series installments; significant culture change has occurred, but there are references to previous Summon Nights, especially 3, the fan favorite. And 'previous Summon Nights' actually includes the Swordcrafts. The only previous Craftknight to appear in the main series was Wizell in 1 and 3, but 5 includes a Craftknight as a party member. It also brings back the karma ending that was dropped in 4. Overall, it's quite different from its predecessors but still a Summon Night and pretty fun.

Reactions: GHANMI

macaronron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
News!

Parliamentary sessions are completed, so I'll be actually moving on to story things now.

I know it's sad that a menu patch isn't happening, but menus/items/etc. were done by previous translators who disappeared, and I'd prefer to leave them for last. If the worst happens and I disappear, I'd prefer the work I leave behind to be things that weren't done by someone else already.

But I'm finally done with those damn sidequests.

macaronron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rough update:

117/916 of the main story files completed. But due to differences in file sizes and the way the script is arranged, that really isn't an accurate measure of how much of the script is actually complete.

Reactions: Pablitox

irenes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, you guys! Super thankful for your wonderful work and your puns.
Just chiming in to voice my support. I'm sure there are a bunch of lurkers who appreciate you, too.

macaronron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
416/916. If any of you want to thank me, you can get me a Japanese PSN card. Sega's holding a big sale and I wouldn't say no to the 7th Dragon 2020 games on my Vita.

(That is a joke. I'm not taking your money. I'm decently sure it's illegal to take your money. Even if it weren't illegal, I still wouldn't take your money. Don't give me your money in any way, shape, or form. I repeat: Don't give me your money.)

Oh, but the sale isn't a joke. If you have a Japanese PSN account, like the 7th Dragon 2020 games, and can either understand moonrunes enough to play them or are okay with playing while attached to a guide or wiki, you should totally consider getting them. Especially 2020-II. The idol class is great.

Reactions: neoxdonut

macaronron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not a progress update. This is an announcement telling you that my progress is probably gonna be really slow during the holiday season because I want to spend my holidays doing things besides translating moonrunes for a bunch of leechers, cute though I suppose you are.

In other news, regarding games that most of you could actually play, assuming you have the system, Students of the Round is legit fun which means there's a decent chance that Demon Gaze will also be legit fun so you should consider picking it up when NISA releases it in early 2014.

Reactions: signz and StorMyu

gamecaptor

R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard a lot of good things about these game, but never actually played them. Seems I should give them another look. From what I can tell only three have ever been translated (by publishers) and it looks like two of them are in progress.

From Wikipedia (with some notes):
Main Series
The games from the main series are all strategy RPGs. They take place on the same world and in the same continuity, but the stories don't have much connection.
Summon Night (January 6, 2000)
Released for the PlayStation/remade for Nintendo DS.
Japan Only
Summon Night 2 (August 2, 2001)
Released for the PlayStation/remade for Nintendo DS.
Japan Only
Summon Night 3 (August 7, 2003)
Released for the PlayStation 2/Remake for the PSP was released in October 4, 2012.
Japan Only
Summon Night 4 (November 30, 2006)
Released for the PlayStation 2/Remake for the PSP was released on November 15, 2012.
Japan Only
Summon Night 5 (May 16, 2013)
A fifth title in the main series for the PSP was released on May 16, 2013.
Japan Only

Spin-offs
The following games are action-RPGs in the style of Ys or Seiken Densetsu.
Summon Night EX-Thesis: Yoake no Tsubasa (August 4, 2005)
Released for the PlayStation 2.
Japan Only
Summon Night Twin Age: Seireitachi no Kyoumei (Koe) (August 30, 2007; USA: July 3, 2008)
Released for the Nintendo DS, translated and published by Atlus in the USA as Summon Night: Twin Age.
Japan/US
Summon Night Gran-These: Horobi no Tsurugi to Yakusoku no Kishi (March 23, 2010)
Released for the PlayStation 2.
Japan Only

The following three games are action-RPGs with battles in the style of the Tales series.
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story (Japan: April 25, 2003; USA: July 26, 2006)
Released for the Game Boy Advance, translated and published by Atlus in the USA.
Japan/US
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2 (Japan: August 20, 2004; USA: October 17, 2006)
Released for the Game Boy Advance; also translated and published by Atlus.
Japan/US
Summon Night Craft Sword Monogatari: Hajimari no Ishi (August 12, 2005)
Released for the Game Boy Advance.
Japan Only
Translation attempt: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=16818.0
The following game is a RPG with turn-based battles in the style of the Final Fantasy series.
Summon Night X: Tears Crown (November 5, 2009)
Released for the Nintendo DS.
Japan Only
Translation attempt: http://gbatemp.net/threads/summon-night-x-tears-crown-sl-tp.357437/

Reactions: neoxdonut

macaronron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like I've said before but I recommend the PSP remakes of 3 and 4 over the original PS2 versions. Especially 4 since the PSP remake removed a lot of the more annoying gameplay elements. For 1 and 2, PS1 or DS really depends on you; the DS has some gameplay additions (party skills, saving on the battle preparation screen) as well as some time-saving features (an easily triggered auto and skip function for story scenes) while the PS1 version has... voices. And while none of the main Summon Nights are very closely tied together, I do recommend playing them in order because later games do spoil previous ones and basically everything about SN5 is better if you know stuff from the previous ones. Summon Night 3 is the fan favorite. From there, including the PS1 games, the fans generally seem to consider them as SN2 > SN1 > SN4 > SN5, while with just the PSP games, it's SN4 > SN5. But people's low opinions on SN5 have more to do with how dramatically different it is from previous main Summon Nights than anything else so you should really try it out for yourself.

I can't really say about the Theses games. I'm not particularly interested in the Swordcraft games; they're decent with a fun battle and crafting system, share the same world as the main series, but story-wise are a bit thin. And X... Story-wise, it's pretty bread-and-butter, but the summon plate system is real fun to play with.

Disclaimer: These are all just my opinions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus