Suikoden is getting a spiritual successor developed by its original creators

As Konami holds onto older IPs, the original creators of some of those series have gone on to create spiritual successors, or even new projects. We've seen Koji Igarashi develop Bloodstained, based upon Castlevania, or how Hideo Kojima went on to make his own studio, after Metal Gear Solid V. Now, it's time for Suikoden to get revived, in a way, through a spiritual successor called Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes. This new project sees multiple developers who worked on Suikoden I and II collaborate once more to create a classic-styled RPG. Yoshitaka Murayama, Osamu Komuta, Junko Kawano, and Junichi Murakami, each of which who had directorial or writing input on the original Suikoden games are on board for Eiyuden Chronicle. Together, they've formed a studio called Rabbit & Bear, with a goal of "making the most interesting game of our lives [...] to make as many fans happy as possible".

The development of Eiyuden Chronicle will require crowdfunding, which will go live on Kickstarter on July 27th, seeking $500,000 to develop the game and release it on PC. An additional stretch goal will be available, with the intent to bring the title to next-generation consoles and the Nintendo Switch. Other talents that will be involved with the game are Michiko Naruke, known for composing the soundtrack to Wild Arms, and Motoi Sakuraba, of Tales of series fame.

Our story begins in one corner of Allraan, a tapestry of nations with diverse cultures and values.
By dint of sword, and by way of magical objects known as “rune-lenses,”
the land’s history has been shaped by the alliances and aggressions of the humans, beastmen, elves,
and desert people who live there.
The Galdean Empire has edged out other nations and discovered a technology that amplifies the rune-lenses’ magic.
Now, the Empire is scouring the continent for an artifact that will expand their power even further.
It is on one such expedition that Seign Kesling, a young and gifted imperial officer, and Nowa, a boy from a remote village,
meet each other and become friends.
However, a twist of fate will soon drag them into the fires of war, and force them both to reexamine everything they believe to be right and true. 

:arrow: Source

HeartfeltDesu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
beyondchristie.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, for me the Mario 3D games are nothing more than fetch quests with little to no appeal.
For me personally, Mario Odysssey was a drag after the third level. It is the same 'get stars/moons to power the ship and proceed to the next level.'
At least, there's side's rolling Mario games coming on occasion to keep that "get to the end of the level to get to the next" vibe continuing.

I think that collectathon aspect is exclusive to Super Mario Odyssey. Galaxy and previous were not collectathons -- you weren't actually collecting the Stars. The Stars were a metaphor for goalposts -- a metaphor for how many objectives you've completed. Galaxy in particular, every level was a self-contained "get to the end of the level" deal.

But also, my post wasn't a comment on the quality of Mario games, the point is that Nintendo absolutely doesn't make "the same Mario game over and over again", and I think anyone who tries to defend that point just has their heart set on trashing Nintendo.

Reactions: medoli900

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I think that collectathon aspect is exclusive to Super Mario Odyssey. Galaxy and previous were not collectathons -- you weren't actually collecting the Stars. The Stars were a metaphor for goalposts -- a metaphor for how many objectives you've completed. Galaxy in particular, every level was a self-contained "get to the end of the level" deal.

But also, my post wasn't a comment on the quality of Mario games, the point is that Nintendo absolutely doesn't make "the same Mario game over and over again", and I think anyone who tries to defend that point just has their heart set on trashing Nintendo.
I agree with you with Mario's diversity.
I might have been in error, because I just started playing Galaxy and the objective right on the beginning was "get Lumas cause we're blind, yo"... But I'll research further, heh.

But still, sidescrolling Mario for me, thanks.

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
the reason indies sell well on it is because it's just an oversized phone/tablet. the real reason for it's popularity is the portability but as a proper console it just fails miserably.

it has dated hardware that can't keep up with today's games, pathetic online, no online chat system, no way to invite friends or get together with them, a screen that scratches at the drop of a hat, poor vc lineup (wait WHAT VC?!) joycon drift and eshop full of 98% shovelware. it's not worse than the wiiu but it comes in second definitely. nintendo better get their head out of the fucking clouds and develop a proper switch pro or whatever their next ACTUAL console is that can keep up with the competition. or when the ps5/xbox comes out they are going to be left behind. making the same mario game over and over on shitty hardware can only save them for so long. and relying on indies to sell your console is just dumb. they might as well quit consoles and just make a phone than!

You make a lot of good points, there. That's the odd thing with Nintendo. They never really cared to be on-par with current-gen consoles, but they stood out with their innovative (though sometimes questionable) gimmicks and designs, accessories, first-party titles, and console exclusives. But with the Switch... I can't say they've lived up to that expectation. While it does have the nice portable/desktop thing going for it.... You'd think by now they'd have jumped to the FHD side by now, but sadly, most of their games STILL don't even get that. 900p? Even as low as 720p? Seriously? It's just the Wii U redux, essentially. And let's not forget how badly that console failed. Even Xenoblade or Zelda couldn't save it.

And yeah, their VC lineup is pathetic. Not to mention the fact that they are trying to compete with PSN and Xbox Live, and failing miserably. Adding friends and organizing multiplayer sessions is far more difficult than it really should be. And you can only chat with their terrible phone app? Why? They don't even give subscribers free games each month (though tbh, I'm sure the games they'd offer would be utter garbage anyway), unless you count the retro NES/SNES games.... ugh. And oh yes, their store is full of complete garbage "games" with flipped assets and stolen music. Further compounded by their shitty refund policy. Games that often get pulled from the store within days, anyway. While I applaud the fact that many AAA titles have found their way to the system, and somehow manage to run on this thing, they don't even consider that many of those titles are several years old, yet charge full price for them anyway. Great policy.

Anyway. Kinda went on a rant there and reiterated most of what you said, but yeah....

I agree with you with Mario's diversity.
I might have been in error, because I just started playing Galaxy and the objective right on the beginning was "get Lumas cause we're blind, yo"... But I'll research further, heh.

But still, sidescrolling Mario for me, thanks.

Gotta agree with you on this one, I definitely prefer the 2D platformer style of Mario games. Despite mostly following the same formula for decades, they at least add some new costumes/powerups to make it interesting. And the multiplayer aspect makes it even more fun. I couldn't bring myself to finish Odyssey. It just... I dunno. Didn't catch my attention. /shrug

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
but they are don't you see it? it's always the same either get to the end of the level, go here, collect this, grab a star and rinse and repeat. oh and rescue peach...
the only thing that changed it up was galaxy but they soon abandoned that too and went back to the OLD ways yet again...

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
but they are don't you see it? it's always the same either get to the end of the level, go here, collect this, grab a star and rinse and repeat. oh and rescue peach...
the only thing that changed it up was galaxy but they soon abandoned that too and went back to the OLD ways yet again...
Well in 3d land they want you to save all those faeries trapped in bottles. I'm actually surprised the bad guy wasn't Link.

HeartfeltDesu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States

Your ability to minimize games beyond reason is impressive and ridiculous.

Reactions: medoli900

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Which is why we'll never see another decent Metal Gear game again. Survive just put the final nails in the coffin. And Castlevania? While there's hope that they'll continue with the "Anniversary Collection" series of games, it doesn't look too good for THAT IP, either...
Apparently the "Bloodstained" games are made by the same guy who did Castlevania, so there's those at least.

Reactions: GuyInDogSuit

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

You might as well go a step further. All you do is go from A to B and beat the game. Man I can't believe Mario copied Halo, Zelda, Doom and every other game on the entire planet.

You described the win condition and nothing else, you took an apple and looked at an atom while trying to express that atom was the entire structure by itself.

Mario games, and platformers in general have very similar win conditions. Collect the things to win. Yay. You're entirely leaving out mechanical changes, level design, sound design, and even hardware differences. Yeah they all play the same they're all the same fucking series. I never understand people who play a sequel and are like "Wow how isn't this entirely different?!" No shit it's the same concept. Mechanically they all had overarching differences that made them all unique experiences, and level sets to exploit those differences. 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1&2 and I guess Odyssey at their core are all "the same game" but looking anywhere past that core, they're clearly not.
Well except Odyssey which failed in most respects. Ironically Odyssey is the purest form of your ridiculous oversimplification. Because Odyssey really missed the point of what made 3D Mario games fun and instead just gave you 10,000 dull as fuck moons to collect like that's the fun part.

Reactions: medoli900 and Chary

HeartfeltDesu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
You might as well go a step further. All you do is go from A to B and beat the game. Man I can't believe Mario copied Halo, Zelda, Doom and every other game on the entire planet.

You described the win condition and nothing else, you took an apple and looked at an atom while trying to express that atom was the entire structure by itself.

Mario games, and platformers in general have very similar win conditions. Collect the things to win. Yay. You're entirely leaving out mechanical changes, level design, sound design, and even hardware differences. Yeah they all play the same they're all the same fucking series. I never understand people who play a sequel and are like "Wow how isn't this entirely different?!" No shit it's the same concept. Mechanically they all had overarching differences that made them all unique experiences, and level sets to exploit those differences. 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1&2 and I guess Odyssey at their core are all "the same game" but looking anywhere past that core, they're clearly not.
Well except Odyssey which failed in most respects. Ironically Odyssey is the purest form of your ridiculous oversimplification. Because Odyssey really missed the point of what made 3D Mario games fun and instead just gave you 10,000 dull as fuck moons to collect like that's the fun part.

I'm glad you said it so I didn't have to. I didn't have the energy to contribute to this today, so I'll just say "this ^" and move along.

D

Deleted User

I really do like the cinematic yet still 2d sprite based battle scene. That being said, spiritual successors I'm skeptical of. We've advanced a lot since the original games, tastes have changed, things are streamlined, and sometimes there's just a reason why those types of games arent made anymore. The developers might be rusty, or they might internalize design choices from the past that we abandoned for a reason. Regardless, I'm skeptical that they can recapture the magic because some of that magic is just nostalgia.

D

Deleted User

It's good to see more and more creators breaking free from the evil grip of 悪魔城コナミ and just doing what they like to do

Hideo kojima managing to get out must have been really empowering to these guys :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/tP_4p2-HkOo?si=YA0-tpAzP26E-P66