1. 6,647

Front-page

As Konami holds onto older IPs, the original creators of some of those series have gone on to create spiritual successors, or even new projects. We've seen Koji Igarashi develop Bloodstained, based upon Castlevania, or how Hideo Kojima went on to make his own studio, after Metal Gear Solid V. Now, it's time for Suikoden to get revived, in a way, through a spiritual successor called Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes. This new project sees multiple developers who worked on Suikoden I and II collaborate once more to create a classic-styled RPG. Yoshitaka Murayama, Osamu Komuta, Junko Kawano, and Junichi Murakami, each of which who had directorial or writing input on the original Suikoden games are on board for Eiyuden Chronicle. Together, they've formed a studio called Rabbit & Bear, with a goal of "making the most interesting game of our lives [...] to make as many fans happy as possible".

The development of Eiyuden Chronicle will require crowdfunding, which will go live on Kickstarter on July 27th, seeking $500,000 to develop the game and release it on PC. An additional stretch goal will be available, with the intent to bring the title to next-generation consoles and the Nintendo Switch. Other talents that will be involved with the game are Michiko Naruke, known for composing the soundtrack to Wild Arms, and Motoi Sakuraba, of Tales of series fame.

:arrow: Source

Calvein, Y0shII, SS4 and 10 others like this.
  2. Discussion (75 replies)

3. TunaKetchup

TunaKetchup GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Vietnam
    I'll check it out after/if it releases

I dont support Kickstarter

Coyote_Mao, Y0shII, supaplex and 4 others like this.
  4. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    Make the Switch port the last thing you work on. Don't leave stains of blood on the dance floor!

MarkDarkness and GuyInDogSuit like this.
  5. Chary

OP Chary Please read the OP
    Senior Editor

United States
    This might be the first Kickstarter I actually back...

6. GameSystem

GameSystem GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I remember being super pissed off during my play-through of the first game because I got to a certain point where you couldn't level up any of your characters nor swap their gear, and then suddenly the co-main character had a duel with the general of the enemy and permadied. All it would take was one random battle to get the co-main character to the appropriate level because of how exp works in that game, but he was 20 levels under and also had no gear, so there were no amount of tactics or save scumming that could possibly save him. I didn't have any saves from like 2 hours back, so I had to continue and beat the game from there. I had no reason to start Suikoden II, because that dude was dead and I had an incomplete save. I've pretty much never touched anything from the series again after that. If they make this game, I hope they don't have stupid mechanics like that, because I hate having to need a guide to play through a game to make sure I don't screw myself.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  7. chownk

chownk Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    My thoughts exactly tbh.

8. Rith12

Rith12 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Now this game news I’m excited for

9. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    can the switch port is a better idea.

SS4 likes this.
  10. darksweet

darksweet 5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1.. OMEGA FLARE

Now you can collect up to 500 charters to choose from.

11. DarkCoffe64

Italy
    Oh man, suikoden 2 was a childhood game of mine...
    I really need to get around and play this series...

12. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    Suikoden is another one of those RPG series I've never played but heard nothing but good things about. This teaser trailer is definitely quite appealing too, I might go in on the Kickstarter if the price is right.

13. IsaOfTheWorlds

IsaOfTheWorlds Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I tried but couldn't get into the first Suikoden. I might give it a shot in Japanese when I can, because the English translation bugs me a lot. I have a creeping suspicion it was one of hose PSX JRPGs that were automatically translated instead of manually...

14. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Serbia, Republic of
    It's gonna be a long wait

15. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes;Gate

Antarctica
    Welcome to the world of old~ish JRPG. It's not for nothing that it took a while for JRPGs to make ways into international territory, since the general market found the games "too hard". Also the reason why "Casual" mode exist in Fire Emblem games now.

SS4 and Pipistrele like this.
  16. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

United States
    So when do you guys think this will release? Five years from now? Anyway, it has a nice look. The first two Suikodens were great, but I kind of lost interest after they went to the generic 3D look on PS2 starting with III. Also Michiko Naruke and Motoi Sakuraba, hot damn. I'll be ready if I'm still alive and this really does happen in the doomed future we all face.

17. xatzimi

xatzimi Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Even though I know nothing about this series, I think it's really frustrating that Konami holds a bunch of licenses and does nothing with them.
    Surely they can make a deal with independent devs to make a game for them in exchange for using the name. Better yet, sell those licenses off

18. IsaOfTheWorlds

IsaOfTheWorlds Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Stop it, you're making too much sense.

MarcusCarter and xatzimi like this.
  19. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Russia
    If people won't kickstart it, it won't get released - that's kinda the point of crowdfunding.

20. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    anyone remember the horrid box art for suikoden 1 in the US? lmao!

edit: here it is: [​IMG]

@Glyptofane told me that one of his friends actually turned the box art inside out because it was so bad.

Last edited by godreborn, Jul 26, 2020
    MarkDarkness likes this.
  21. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - spiritual, successor, developed