Suikoden I and II romhack attempt

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by DarknessSavior, Jan 16, 2010.

Jan 16, 2010
  1. DarknessSavior
    OP

Newcomer DarknessSavior Newbie

United States
    I've done some romhacking in the past, and I'm a big Suikoden buff, so I figured I would attempt to hack the PSP game that never got released here. I had some experience hacking the Japanese PSX version (not alot, but some, I had a table made and was able to replace some basic text), so I thought it wouldn't be that hard.

Took me forever just to get a table file made, and once I had it made I tried looking at some of the various files within the game, as well as opening the entire ISO (~330 MB at highest compression rates) in a hex editor.

I wasn't even able to find ANY Japanese words at all! Not even a simple ใ€Œใงใ™ใ€! >_<

This seems to tell me that perhaps the script is compressed.

Does anyone have any insight they can offer me in the pursuit of hacking such a wonderful game?

~DS

2. ShinRyouma

Member ShinRyouma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Indonesia
    It's a good thing if you want to hack Suikoden I & II iso, for me I just convert the US version of Suikoden I & II (PS) into eboot. Does the PSP version has more feature than the PS version?
    Good luck with the translation.

3. DarknessSavior
    OP

Newcomer DarknessSavior Newbie

United States
    As far as I know, the games are almost identical, except the first game uses the opening from the Saturn version, and the graphics were redone and look much better.

~DS

4. Denida

Newcomer Denida Member

Denmark
    Do let us know if you ever finish that, would be interesting to try PSP version in English:P

5. ChaosBoi

Member ChaosBoi Ushiromiya Battler

United States
    There's also some kind of gallery that features FMVs from the game, music player, and what appears to be playable segments of one of the two games (This one is only unlocked after you beat one of the two games. I have no idea how long these segments are, since I didn't play them long).