Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
I formatted my computer and installed the new itunes. My ipod has been synced with my songs from my originl hard drive which does not exist anymore. When I tired to sync new songs into my ipod, it tried to delete my old ones... is there a way around this? Thanks.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Westside said:
I formatted my computer and installed the new itunes. My ipod has been synced with my songs from my originl hard drive which does not exist anymore. When I tired to sync new songs into my ipod, it tried to delete my old ones... is there a way around this? Thanks.
I believe not without recreating the song structure on your PC or manually adding and removing your songs from your iPod from now on.

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Narin said:
Westside said:
I believe not without recreating the song structure on your PC or manually adding and removing your songs from your iPod from now on.
Sigh... it used to be so easy on the standard MP3 players. iPod has been good to me so far until this...

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, iTunes does suck like that.
But, not bad software if you ask me.

Anyway, back up your iPod music/files by enabling Hidden Folders and copying and pasting the iPod_control folder to somewhere on your hard drive.

Re-format your iPod, then copy the iPod_control folder back to your iPod thru iTunes.
Some ID3 tags may be messed up, and you may want to fix those.

Follow this guide, or Google "Back-up iPod music."

Hope this helps.
itunes_16x16.gif

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
NeSchn said:
Sharepod to the rescue!!! Follow the instructions for download, take all the songs off your iPod through this and then import them back to iTunes so when you go in and it tries to delete it, you just upload them back on!
Holy crap, thanks!! It actaully worked with my iPod Classic.... Is the Classic hacked yet by any chance?

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
NeSchn said:
Sharepod to the rescue!!! Follow the instructions for download, take all the songs off your iPod through this and then import them back to iTunes so when you go in and it tries to delete it, you just upload them back on!
So much work just to get it working correctly again :/

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Narin said:
NeSchn said:
So much work just to get it working correctly again :/
True, but oh well. I fell into Steve Jobs hands... Now he controls me...

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
ok, I'm coming from a mac standpoint here, so bear with me.

You'll need to get the songs off of your ipod first and into a plain old folder.. um directory, on your hard drive. You can do this with a program designed for just that.
There's tons of commercial and shareware progs to do it, but freeware seems scarce. I only found one freeware title on VersionTracker, called PodLift, but if you hunt you might find others. Maybe somebody with the PC version would be so kind as to suggest something better, as I've had no experience with itunes utilities on the pc.

Once you've got your ipod content on the hard drive, I'd assume you could just drag the whole folder into itunes (this may work differently on a pc than a mac, dunno.) If you've set iTunes's preference to "copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" and "keep itunes music folder organized" it should slot everything into a new directory structure by artist/album. After that's done, delete the directory you first created, since all your songs are now in the "sanctioned" itunes folder. You should be able to sync normally after that.

Hope that works ok.. sorry I couldn't be more pc-centric.

EDIT: HA! By the time it took me to type all that out your problem was already solved. I blame it on my kids!

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah you couldn't pay me enough to use iTunes in Windows.
In OS X it's fine, but it sucks a fat one in Windows.

Anyway the other posters are right - you need something that will copy everything off your iPod and onto your PC, and then add that to your iTunes. I have had to do this once or twice as well.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mthrnite said:

You'll need to get the songs off of your ipod first and into a plain old folder.. um directory, on your hard drive. You can do this with a program designed for just that.
There's tons of commercial and shareware progs to do it, but freeware seems scarce. I only found one freeware title on VersionTracker, called PodLift, but if you hunt you might find others. Maybe somebody with the PC version would be so kind as to suggest something better, as I've had no experience with itunes utilities on the pc.

Once you've got your ipod content on the hard drive, I'd assume you could just drag the whole folder into itunes (this may work differently on a pc than a mac, dunno.) If you've set iTunes's preference to "copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" and "keep itunes music folder organized" it should slot everything into a new directory structure by artist/album. After that's done, delete the directory you first created, since all your songs are now in the "sanctioned" itunes folder. You should be able to sync normally after that.

EDIT: HA! By the time it took me to type all that out your problem was already solved. I blame it on my kids!

All that stuff works on PC so don't be so apologetic for helping him out
tongue.gif

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
science said:
mthrnite said:

All that stuff works on PC so don't be so apologetic for helping him out
tongue.gif
Lol, true, no one should apologize for helping.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Apparently the pro versión of pizza boy is back aswell
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Gonna download the update
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Only 2 antiviruses detected the APK as a virus on virustotal so it Must be safe
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz false positive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wait
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Eh nvm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sadly, the clouds are setting in now

hey BigOnYa the clouds are coming from the south, maybe check again
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night it's 11 pm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @BakerMan Nuh I'm in for the night playing Fallout 4, ill look tomorrow night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok had let dog out, and yea still can't see it, oh well. Maybe tom night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ballocks these drives aren't allowing raid
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sucks, well you will get double the space then atleast.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy needs to come back
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you try Raid 10?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did raid69
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The physical disk keeps disabling in bios
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey ken did you see the aurora tonight?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also sorry it was too cloudy, that sucks
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, This chat is sponsored by Raid Shadow Legends.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So I guess raid0 doesn't allow mismatched storage oh well
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So I guess raid0 doesn't allow mismatched storage oh well