A day of lost sleep caught up with me

Deetlemore

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"What does that mean?" you may ask. Welp, I just installed a new SSD in my PC. Plopped it in my secondary M.2 slot, cloned my OS, swapped drives, and all was right in the world.

I formatted my old drive, but the Windows EFI partition remained. Sure, it's only 100 MB, but I WANT that 100 MB, and I didn't like seeing it unused in Disk Manager. You can't easily delete it in Disk Manager however, and for good reason! If some jackass starts deleting shit in a daze, they can wreck their OS (in the sense of making it un-bootable).

So I turn to the trusty diskpart tool in command prompt, select the shitty little 100 MB partition, and delete it.

Except I didn't delete it... I deleted my new SSD's MBR partition. FML. I keep an incremental clone of my main drive on a NAS drive for safety's-sake, so it's an easy fix, but holy hell do you NOT want to run an OS off a NAS drive. I forgot how incredibly, painfully slow hard drives were!

So long story short, don't do stupid shit like this when you're half asleep, and always keep a backup. I'll be waiting here for a good 2 hours before this garbage is done cloning again. I just needed to rant, enjoy your night.

• Haha
Reactions: AncientBoi and gZa

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You have my love, my dude.
Been there, done that, but was using IDE disks, with incorrect BIOS settings, in the time of the dinosaurs.

Reactions: Deetlemore

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Oh snap Super Offroad was by them too? lol damn