Stuck Circle Pad (3DS XL)

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by AgentChet, Jan 6, 2014.

1. AgentChet
    OP

AgentChet Trunks, The Man.

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Secret Island
    I just bought this 3DS XL on eBay because it has 4.5.0-U10; so sending it for repair to Nintendo would be an extreme risk for me.

The circle pad gets stuck going any direction I move it in. I move it right, it gets stuck moving right unless I move it bad to the center. I can lift my finger and it still moves when in the right position.

Is there anything I can do to stop it from getting stuck? Some have told me telfon spray and oil..... :unsure: That doesn't sound like a good idea to me though..

Any help is appreciated!

Updates

01/20/14
    01/15/14

01/09/14

01/07/14

I did get this 3DS XL free because the seller on eBay gave a full refund without asking to send it back and closed the case. I've waited over 2 weeks and still no response from him, so eBay said for me to keep both and just leave a good feedback.

2. leemason_2k3

leemason_2k3 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2014
    replace it

3. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    ...Or send it in to Nintendo, what's the problem with that?

4. AgentChet
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Secret Island
    Thanks for the replies.
    I've sent it to Nintendo as it still had warranty until March, and they will extend it another year for sending it in to them.

I put notes all over the letter to NOT update to firmware 4.5.0
    So I hope they don't haha. A longshot but maybe I'll make it.

5. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

They'll probably purposely update it since you said that, not to make you worried or anything. They know why people want to stay on 4.5, and it's not something beneficial to them.

6. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Regarding warranty, that's very generous of them. When I sent it a newly bought 3DS XL for defective screen they replaced it with a refurbished unit + 90 days warranty.

Regarding firmware, they will ignore it and the repaired unit will be on the latest firmware.

7. shattacrew

shattacrew Member

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2009
    United States
    LOL, They know what you wanna do... I think they will update just to screw you over.
    I have this problem too. I replaced the stick like they do in the video and that doesn't help. The problem is with the rubber crown on the stick. I think something is broken and the rubber pad rubs on the console which causes it to stick. So far I don't see anyone selling the rubber pad.

8. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    do a nand backup, and if it is updated, think about installing the wires to restoring the nand :)

9. AgentChet
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Secret Island

:blink: It's already shipped........ :glare: Wish I thought of that..
    Then again, if Gateway-3DS menu was installed they might could tell it.

10. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    hmm that's a shame. you could have made the nand backup without the gateway as well... but anyway, don't regret the past!
    and... i expect nintendo have better things to do than to check your 3ds over to see if you have 'hacked' it. but maybe not, haha

11. AgentChet
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Secret Island
    Well I would see the Gateway menu as voiding the Nintendo Warranty, which is something I would expect them to check now.

But perhaps I will get it back fixed and the same firmware. *Fingers crossed but not holding my breath*

cearp likes this.
  12. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    This outta be interesting. Let us know what happens when you get it back.

AgentChet likes this.
  13. katsup

katsup Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    My co-worker just got his 3DS XL back for the circle pad problem. He got a refurb from Nintendo on the latest firmware.

14. AgentChet
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Secret Island
    Updated the post with a new update in info.

15. katsup

katsup Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Nintendo isn't dumb, they know why you want the older firmware. I highly doubt you will get them to downgrade.

cearp likes this.