Strife DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by codehavok129, Feb 24, 2010.

Feb 24, 2010

Strife DS by codehavok129 at 5:30 PM (1,941 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. codehavok129
    OP

Newcomer codehavok129 Newbie

United States
    Hello,

I've just completed Doom DS. And it was very enjoyable.And it reminded me of how fun Strife used to be, when you get the sigil and best everyone away...Strife was my very first FPS. And i enjoy it more than doom. So i thought to myself..doom and strife use the same game engine, i wonder if it's possible to port it to DS....

So i am asking you you homebrew guru's out there.. "Is it possible for the DS to emulate Strife?" And if so how Can you explain the easiest way i can play it on my DS. I was thinking of tinkering around with the Doom DS Cfg files to get Strife.wad to run. Can i do this. It would defiantly be for my own personal use, and none other than that. With this being said. Is it possible? Thanks in advance.

2. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    While it does use the same engine, it's a bit more complex than Doom, since it has things like interactions and NPCs.

3. codehavok129
    OP

United States
    I understand what your saying, but don't see that as being a problem regaurding emulation.

4. XWolf

Member XWolf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Easiest answer - Try it and see.

5. codehavok129
    OP

United States
    Well so far some luck..It looks the DS will in fact emulate it. I just have to figure out how to get the Strife Voices.wad to work. This is gonna be really cool! =)

6. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Now you've got me interested in it ^.^ I am checking this out right now, first I need to dig out an old copy of the game >.<
    How did you get it to work?

7. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Emulate? I doubt the DS can emulate the Computer CPUs needed for the DOOM Engine (mainly because emulation is terribly complex.) DoomDS is a PORT of the engine to the DS meaning it has been recoded to run on the DS's ARM processor.
    Emulating generally refers to processors and hardware and simulating those within a different CPU and hardware.

I know this hasn't added anything but I just thought I'd clear up this misunderstanding over the term "Emulation"

8. choconado

Member choconado Doesn't understand a damn thing on here

United States
    Hell, I'm Interested, and I only ever got around to playing the shareware demo. But it was the first time I truly encountered modern stealth techniques and the consequences in violating your stealth.

Once I shot the dude in the shop at the beginning, and suddenly the alarm went out and guards started pouring out towards the store, and I found myself holed up in a total butch cassidy and the sundance kid situation, with far less ammo than enemies, and hiding behind the counter.

It sucked situation wise, but I had never had something like that happen in a game before, so it seemed kinda awesome too. Good game.