Stranger Things

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm afraid season 2 will be bad, we might expect too much.
still planed for end of October this year.

I agree with you with "nobody tells anything" that was frustrating.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Too much spoils, I knew I shouldn't have watched :P
No, It removed my fear about the sequel being bad. it looks interesting.

There are too many shows starting again this month. I'll be busy.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah, too young hahah :P

I think it's a show directed to people who lived in 80's, it's filmed the same way as 80's movies, with multiple cameo/hints/references to the movies from that period (goonies, E.T., IT, Poltergeist, Alien, etc.)
it's certainly more interesting if you have nostalgia for these movies and that time period.

Yandere-chan

The One and Only
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, too young hahah :P

I think it's a show directed to people who lived in 80's, it's filmed the same way as 80's movies, with multiple cameo/hints/references to the movies from that period (goonies, E.T., IT, Poltergeist, Alien, etc.)
it's certainly more interesting if you have nostalgia for these movies and that time period.
Yeah, understandable.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's alright. Winona Ryder is of course terrible as always and there is no denying that the so called Duffer Brothers are even bigger hacks than JJ Abrams. That being said, it's still been an enjoyable show so far.

Dark_Phoras

Master of Hounds
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Just finished the first volume of season 4. The series is now fully fleshed, with a breathtaking plot full of suspense. I don't know if the show left any opening for speculation, so maybe there isn't much room to discuss theories.

Reactions: AmandaRose

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just finished the first volume of season 4. The series is now fully fleshed, with a breathtaking plot full of suspense. I don't know if the show left any opening for speculation, so maybe there isn't much room to discuss theories.
The scene in episode 2 where EL finally fights back against the bullies and smacks Angela upside the head with the rollerskate is my favourite scene from all 4 seasons

Dark_Phoras

Master of Hounds
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The scene in episode 2 where EL finally fights back against the bullies and smacks Angela upside the head with the rollerskate is my favourite scene from all 4 seasons

El gets bullied several times and doesn't tell anyone, because she doesn't want the girl to get an earful from a teacher. Angela gets hit once and goes to the police, who immediately arrest El and send her away to juvie prison without the knowledge and presence of a parent or school official. Her family is powerful and f* up, and the other kids are just bootlicking Angela.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
El gets bullied several times and doesn't tell anyone, because she doesn't want the girl to get an earful from a teacher. Angela gets hit once and goes to the police, who immediately arrest El and send her away to juvie prison without the knowledge and presence of a parent or school official. Her family is powerful and f* up, and the other kids are just bootlicking Angela.
Unfortunately as much as I hate to admit it this kind of thing is not an uncommon scenario in the American system. Yes you are correct and in this case a child could not be taken without the expressed consent of a parent/guardian, which would lead to a massive lawsuit. But aside from that its pretty unequal how defending one's self can result in a situation like this.

It's a very large chunk of reason why school massacres happen these days. No one wants to admit it, but this is the biggest unfortunate truth. But I am not going to enable a discussion about this which is why I am spoilering it.

Dark_Phoras

Master of Hounds
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Finished the second part of season 4.

I'm disappointed, especially with the last episode. Why's Vecna so efficient with minor characters, and then takes so long and messes up twice with Max? I felt like the final confrontation was almost one hour of a dull and unarticulated conversation about feelings while two characters pointed their hand palms at one another. How do the Capcom trio resist 30 minutes of being strangled by the vines of death, how does Hopper hold the jaws and the head of a demogorgon for 30 minutes?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I have Thoughts. Capital T.

Ooookaaaay,

Does anyone else feel like this season was kind of crammed into the show continuity for no reason / for the sole reason of making more seasons? Stuff got retconned and shuffled around to make room for this Vecna guy and his story, and his relation to the Mindflayer, but it could have been left out entirely and nothing would have been lost or missing going into the next season (or taken more than one episode to put into motion).

Did they change their mind half way, come to the conclusion that "some random unexplained otherworldly monstrosity trying to enter and consume a juicy new world after doing same to its own to where it's an empty husk" wouldn't satisfy the viewers' obsessive need for everything to have a detailed explanation and origin, so they pulled one out of their asses (complete with "lost memories" and everything to explain why there was absolutely no indication of any sort in the previous seasons) and plopped it into the series. It really really, really does not feel like this was their intent from the start.

Thoughts?

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finished the second part of season 4.

I'm disappointed, especially with the last episode. Why's Vecna so efficient with minor characters, and then takes so long and messes up twice with Max? I felt like the final confrontation was almost one hour of a dull and unarticulated conversation about feelings while two characters pointed their hand palms at one another. How do the Capcom trio resist 30 minutes of being strangled by the vines of death, how does Hopper hold the jaws and the head of a demogorgon for 30 minutes?
Funny enough
I really feel like the need to have Max axed off the series should have been saved entirely for the finale of this season. Why go to her so soon, have her escape and then go right back in only to be now braindead/coma'd for most if not entirely of next season? Also why the hell didn't One just go after someone else instead? He needs someone with traumatic memories/guilt right? I am sure as hell there are more than 4 people in the entire town of Hawkins that has deep guilt or trauma that he could have tapped into at any time over letting Max be his bait. Hell he even got into the head of Nancy at some point but did not bother using her. Shit is just too convenient when the reality was that One could have tore apart Hawkins at any time. If anything he should have simply avoided Max and call their bluff since he is well, you know actually capable of logical thought processes compared to the previous entities that acted on more instinct than intent. I really feel like they missed the point that he was meant to be much more intelligent and cunning than the previous entities they had to fight before him.

I also really dislike how everyone was seperated as teams for most of this season. Too many disjointed parallell stories tend to mess up the focus of whats going on and drag things down (and too long given the run time on these episodes). Also I knew they were going to axe Eddie but I still had some hope he would pull out of it alive despite it being illogical to keep him alive since he would have to be on the run his entire life. I am glad his uncle got some sort of closure however, since he deserved that much.

Reactions: Dark_Phoras

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Funny enough
I really feel like the need to have Max axed off the series should have been saved entirely for the finale of this season. Why go to her so soon, have her escape and then go right back in only to be now braindead/coma'd for most if not entirely of next season? Also why the hell didn't One just go after someone else instead? He needs someone with traumatic memories/guilt right? I am sure as hell there are more than 4 people in the entire town of Hawkins that has deep guilt or trauma that he could have tapped into at any time over letting Max be his bait. Hell he even got into the head of Nancy at some point but did not bother using her. Shit is just too convenient when the reality was that One could have tore apart Hawkins at any time. If anything he should have simply avoided Max and call their bluff since he is well, you know actually capable of logical thought processes compared to the previous entities that acted on more instinct than intent. I really feel like they missed the point that he was meant to be much more intelligent and cunning than the previous entities they had to fight before him.

I also really dislike how everyone was seperated as teams for most of this season. Too many disjointed parallell stories tend to mess up the focus of whats going on and drag things down (and too long given the run time on these episodes). Also I knew they were going to axe Eddie but I still had some hope he would pull out of it alive despite it being illogical to keep him alive since he would have to be on the run his entire life. I am glad his uncle got some sort of closure however, since he deserved that much.

Anyway. Horror villains often get obsessed with one particular victim/character/foil, usually to the detriment of their long term goals.
Compulsion is irrational and can't be overcome with logic; in fact, a more "animal" and instinctual character is more likely to jump on a target of opportunity instead of becoming obsessed with a particular target.
There are reasons he focused on Max in particular: she's "the one that got away" and he doesn't take this defeat lightly; he is obsessed with Eleven, and Max the perfect bait to lure her in, or simply the perfect way of getting at Eleven in a way that killing a random passerby wouldn't achieve.
He doesn't believe anyone can touch him and he thinks he has all the time in the world, so there's time to play cat and mouse.
And he was always a persistence predator, he didn't grab his victims all at once, he hounded and pursued them for days before finishing them off.
So him going after Max doesn't bother me, what bothers me is his existence at all. Like I said before, it's bullshit, a late addition, tacked onto an existing story framework, for no reason.

But OK.

The whole Russian subplot is also completely bogus and should have been left out too, both season 3 and this one, but it doesn't irk me as much as Loaf Boy over there.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy hell, it really has been six years. It's a decent show, but the Duffer Brothers are still pretentious hacks. Those fuckers were small children in the 80s.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool