Hardware Strange Wii Problem

Chloros

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's my problem: after playing a game on my Wii (original or backed up) any disc I use after that asks to update my Wii. It appears to happen only when I actually play a game. Even if I eject the game I was playing and put it right back in, it asks to update. The only way is to turn the Wii completely off for a while (time needed varies). I don't think standby works, has to be red light off. This all just started happening the last couple days.

Background: I have a launch Wii (D2A). About a month ago I tried to mod my Wii with a Wiikey and ended up lifting/burning a pad on the last connection
frown.gif
. Last week I got a wii-clip and was able to get it working.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? Faulty Wiikey or Wii-clip? Did I mess up the drive somehow? Overheating?

Thanks in advance!

abort_user

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think some games require an update and have updates on the discs. however, DO NOT UPDATE FROM ANOTHER REGION. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. as for if you can update using a modchip i wouldnt see why not, but i would ask around first. i hear its better to keep auto update off though. i do not have a modchip yet (im waiting to get it back from nintendo first).

Chloros

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the misunderstanding. My Wii is already updated properly to 3.2U. After playing a game, my Wii will start asking for updates on every disc I put in, Wii Sports included.

1. Turn Wii on.
2. Put Wii Sports in and play a set of tennis.
3. Return to Wii menu.
4. Eject Wii Sports.
5. Put Wii Sports back in.
6. Wii thinks Wii Sports (or any other game) has an update for my Wii (can't play anything until I turn my Wii off for a while).

Chloros

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No ideas?
frown.gif

I opened my Wii up again to check the connections and try it without the Wiikey/Wii-clip. No difference...

I'll give the drive a close inspection and maybe clean it with alcohol later today.

Chloros

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bosscolor said:
I think you should format your wiiI really don't want to format my Wii if I don't have to. I don't want to lose my Mario Kart (and SSBB?) save games. Those can't be backed up, right?

QUOTE(callmebob @ Jun 18 2008, 09:42 PM)
unsure.gif
Have you tried updating your Wiikey firmware to 1.9s, and then use the config disc to switch on the update blocker?
I'm updated to 1.9s, but I didn't have the update blocker turned on. I turned it on and no difference.
Great idea, though. It didn't occur to stupid me at all
frown.gif

Chloros

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's gotten worse. Now it's asking to update with the first disc I put in, too
cry.gif

So all Wii games are doing this, but Gamecube ones are fine.

It's having this problem whether the Wiikey/Wii-clip is attached or not, so I guess it's the drives problem?

Should I order a new drive or do you guys think the problem is elsewhere in the Wii (maybe just need to replace the laser or circuit board)?

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
unsure.gif
mmm, ´nother idea. As far as I can remember the Datel Freeloader overrides updates. (not 100% sure, just for some reason it pops up in my head)

Get a copy of it, and give it a shot. Also if you can run homebrew, the new Gecko OS might help.

Also you might want to get a RW and make a backup of any game patched with the brick blocker. If that works though, you´ll prolly have to burn EVERY game this way.

Bet your problem is still the burnt/lifted solder point. Anyway good luck, hope you find a work around.

(edit) If you update your Wii FW to 3.3 the Free Loader won´t work anymore anyway.

Chloros

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
callmebob said:
unsure.gif
mmm, ´nother idea. As far as I can remember the Datel Freeloader overrides updates. (not 100% sure, just for some reason it pops up in my head)
But my original games that should not have updates on them (i.e. Wii Sports) are doing this, too.

I can't make sense of it. What could cause it to think there's an update when there isn't? Say, if something was overheating and cause the Wii to read the next disc improperly, wouldn't it give a disc read error instead of thinking there's an update? Hmm, frustration makes me write run on sentences
nyanya.gif

Edit: I saw a bunch of people with the same problem on the Nintendo support forums, but of course the answer was send your Wii to Nintendo
dry.gif

Chloros

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It resets every time I open it up and try to find out what's wrong, but I do set it afterwards. Odd thing though, it used to reset back to launch day, but now it resets back to a much closer date. Today (Thursday) it reset back to Wednesday.

Chloros

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting a strongish feeling that I need to replace the laser. Is it possible for a badly burned disc (0% reliability according to DVDInfoPro) to have this effect on the laser after just a handful of uses?

Edit: And by laser, of course, I mean lens
blink.gif

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Every time you open it - you have to remove the cmos battery (which stores the clock info) so thats why it is being reset.

Chloros

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A bit late, but here's an update.

If you have this problem, send your Wii to Nintendo
frown.gif

I tried replacing the laser with to results, so I decided to send it in. When I got it back, it was the same drive, so that wasn't the problem. The repair description was replaced "component(s)" (motherboard or Wii equivalent?). Oh, also my save files and Mii's we're gone
hate2.gif

Anyway, new problem! My Wii won't let me transfer my backed up saves back on to it. Every time I try, it says "The data was not copied." I'm looking at the Savegame-Installer/Extractor to force my Wii to take my save files, but I still need a tool to turn my data.bin into something compatible with the Savegame-Installer. Is there such a tool out there? Or should I ask this in the hacking section?

Edit: Forgot to mention that Nintendo support wasn't helpful in this matter. Being told to do the same things over again and that "it should work."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and I used neither my phone or my pc today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I was out for most of the afternoon
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the morning cuz school
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall...