Hacking Strange problem with preloader and homebrew channel

Vamosi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

I soft modded my Wii with the ULTIMATE System Menu 4.0 Guide using the network install and everything went fine and is working correctly. The thing im concerned with though is when turning the Wii on and going straight into the preloader v0.29 and using the launch homebrew channel it boots to the loading screen with corrupted gfx and is unusable.

Now if i go into the system menu then reboot preloader v0.29, loading the homebrew channel works fine.

So as you can see im a little worried that if in the event i brick the Wii and can no longer boot to the system menu then im going to have problems running the hombrew channel to fix what ever it is i would need to do. Im not sure what i should do to try and fix this problem as i havn't come across this problem before so if anyone has any suggestions any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Wii before any mods was on 3.4E i installed the latest homebrew channel v1.03 using the bannerbomb exploit because i didn't have a copy of Zelda handy then continued to follow the guide mentioned above. I don't have a modchip installed, the system menu is now on 4.0E and everything else is working fine.

Vamosi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
manias said:
i'd install bootmii, remove preloader and use starpatch? (in that order)

Before i modded the Wii i tried to install bootmii but it wouldn't allow me to install into boot2. Would this still be handy in my case to install it with the other method?

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the same problem occasionally, always with booting bootmii into homebrew channel or going from preloader, never had a problem launching homebrew channel as a channel.

You using nintendo brand component cables too? I think it may have something to do with it, I used to have that crash when booting homebrew channel from bootmii with video mode set to progressive in bootmii.ini. Never happens anymore when set as "NTSC".

I'm running a replaced wii that shipped with 3.1 (now on 3.2 with added IOSes to play madworld) a year and a half ago and have installed bootmii as boot2 and i've never had any serious issues previously other than this. It's so random and with the launch application from preloader and bootmii nand restore I generally don't use the homebrew channel until I'm at the wii menu anyway so i didn;t make a big deal out of it, but yes that happens to me too.

ginkster

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I had exactly the same problem a few months back.I searched for ages and cuoldnt find an answer. I even started a topic but no one replied. I think it was down to having the external hard drive connected when booting hbc from preloader but im still not 100% convinced that was the problem.

Vamosi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mark McDonut said:
I have the same problem occasionally, always with booting bootmii into homebrew channel or going from preloader, never had a problem launching homebrew channel as a channel.

You using nintendo brand component cables too? I think it may have something to do with it, I used to have that crash when booting homebrew channel from bootmii with video mode set to progressive in bootmii.ini. Never happens anymore when set as "NTSC".

I'm running a replaced wii that shipped with 3.1 (now on 3.2 with added IOSes to play madworld) a year and a half ago and have installed bootmii as boot2 and i've never had any serious issues previously other than this. It's so random and with the launch application from preloader and bootmii nand restore I generally don't use the homebrew channel until I'm at the wii menu anyway so i didn;t make a big deal out of it, but yes that happens to me too.

Im using the standard av cables that came with the console, with 50Hz 576i mode selected in the settings.

I also can run the homebrew channel fine from the system menu just having problems everytime launching it from the preloader menu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    +2
    It's the Switcheroo
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's the Switcheroo