ROM Hack Stopping the noob invasion

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 5,328
  • Replies 24

Should their be a rule enforcing the fact that no request for translations/homebrews/hack should be

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted User

OP
It really bugs me that this board has been lately invaded by the relentless assault of noobs. It makes this board harder to keep track of the useful informations. Yet, I don't really want to stop people wanting to learn or start a project by themselves to do it here. I think some policy should be added to warn people making useless posts or brag about things they can't do or do not understand.
What is your opinion ?

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
It would probably be a better idea to have a stickied thread for translations/hacks requests, that should at least clean up this forum a little. although i must agree there has been a bit of a noob invasion lately.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Noobs are immune to rules, so this is mostly just wishful thinking; noobs are not qualified to judge the worthiness of their own contributions.

Beyond that, on what basis are noobs and new yet talented people to be differentiated?

matthewd997

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah, you can make a rule against it but it will still happen, I think we should just wait and see if a real invasion comes so i voted no!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know where you are coming from Deufeufeu but what Destructobot says applies here.
I reckon I our best bet is to all chip in a knock out a basic but fairly all encompassing guide (or at worst a mess of links to read), there will always be people who miss stickies (either because they are not too bright or because experience tells them they are never updated) but notice the lessening of basic questions when FAQs are posted elsewhere.
I have that guide I have been working on bit by bit for a while now and a whole load of links I have come across with useful tidbits in and there are several other competent rom hackers that frequent this place (I personally reckon as far as English language general DS hacking (I have seen more on forums for Advance Wars, pokemon and the like elsewhere) goes this section is the most active on the net.)

As for requests most translations are major efforts which if I were to assume some posts were representative of the population at large (I know they are not) would suggest others do not.
To this end I would support a rule to the effect of you must show you have something done i.e. you need a translator or more experienced rom hacker to further what you have done. I have no qualms deciphering a complex pointer system, determining compression for someone and maybe even chipping in a bit of ASM but making a simple, relative, 8 bit table does tend to be pushing it.

The other problem I see is people get apps like advance map, Deufeufeu's editors, Kenghot's editors, pokesave.... or even more general stuff like Crystaltile2 and tahaxan or even more general stuff still like the tahaxan file formats page and do not take the time to learn the underlying reasoning. I would never propose a moratorium on such applications/documentation though.

So: GBATemp rom hacking intro project anyone, I suggest GBA, DS, Gamecube and Wii. I spend a lot of time reading rom hacking stuff all over the net and as of right now I know of nothing that has consolidated info on any aside from some reasonably in depth gamecube stuff. Going by romhacking.net the GBA is only just coming in to the mainstream, DS is too close to piracy, GC is non existent and as the filesystem for the wii has only been figured out for a very short space of time that has not exactly been done at all.

Some stuff off the top of my head that would probably need to be covered:

file system (DS mainly) and by extension common formats (SDAT, narc and common graphics are the big three in my opinion)

Now on to the big one, as I see it rom hacking is 90% data representation so it needs to be covered and needs to be covered well.

graphics, from how they are coded to how they are stored (link it to formats). Palettes need to be covered but I am not sure how (I often see them treated separately (guilty of this myself) but I do not think they should.

Sound: basic SDAT hacks and reasoning behind them is a must with more advanced stuff (what actual formats: IMA-ADPCM and the like able to be left for later). Probably a section on replacing a US/Eu rom with the Japanese soundtrack and the need to alter filesystems.

Text: tables, pointers and how to derive them (relative search, brute force, corruption). Simple and complex examples required.

ASM with regard to cheating: sometimes considered outside the domain of rom hacking but I do not. Often provides a nice avenue in and if you tie in changing stats of characters/weapons.... that also is a nice intro.

ASM proper: tracing via emulation and less subtle stuff like corruption and maybe stuff like OAM handling (for VFW and menu hacks mainly), strings.

Now who to write it for, three groups as I see it:
Those new to it. Unfortunately this means two types: completely new people and coders with no prior experience of hacking (a coder should not what a string is and the basics of representation but tracing and reverse engineering are perhaps beyond them)

Those experienced on other systems wanting to come to these systems:
There are similarities to other systems but I have never seen an SDAT file outside of nintendo systems.

Experienced hackers: I have been doing this for a while but I do not know half the specs of various formats off the top of my head. Seeing stuff others do is always nice as well.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice try Bonemonkey but too slow, I totally saw that pre-edited version
tongue.gif
*hits with a giant foam "2005"*

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Jump Ultimate Stars translation project was started by a random person asking for a translation. Not only was this person a noob, he was the KINGOFNOOBS.
And look where that project is now.

Just saying.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
"I'm translating x game, who wants to help?"
"I'm making Pokemon Translation!!!! - Come HELP!!!"

I get a kick out of those topics, as they fail.
biggrin.gif

You'll never stop the noobs.
You'll never stop them...

azotyp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
They think that this forum is full of great programmers that can port theire games in the time of few minutes. If I would be mod here I would make a order with them (evil laught).

F

Fiddy101

OP
Why is this here in the "NDS - Game Development, ROM Hacking and Translations " Forum ?

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I say lock the the registrations untill further notice due the comming release of supersmash brothers
tongue.gif

Maat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
When People register themselfs they should answer a test that should qualify they knowledge of nds hacking and maybe other stuff with that they should be ranked and only people with a certain rank could post in the nds hacking forum.......
The best way to preventing noob's from posting is to make more policy in the posts and deleting this kind of post and warning the person who did it, of course making this would be necessary some kind of faq for informing people,maybe it could be in gbatemp's wiki....
The first solution is only teorical and like more laughable, but is still an idea.....
Noob's should be penalized when they make posts that the answer is in a faq or other things, beacause if they aren't they will continue making them as if there's no problem, and that people are forced to answer that question......

webyugioh

Trophies
Website
www.free-ftp.org
XP
Country
Well, we were all noobs at one time or another.
biggrin.gif

The only difference now is if you just stay on the site to ask questions that have been answered a thousand times or if you try you best to add something to the community.

Either way, when brawl comes, many, many, MANY servers will die.

matthewd997

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah, but I mean we are all noobs at some point ***me!***

but some are just over-noobish, {cough,***revengebeast***cough}

what about we give a 10% warn to people who ask for hacks,

but then again what do you expect them to do

** ooh i want to play smash bros. DS, i know the experts can make one! **

you have to see it from there point, you guys know what they are doing, so why not ask you!

oh, by the way smash bros. DS would actually be a nice game, would anyone like to make one for me?

***JOKE!!!***

minkyu716

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
They should make a rom request board and classify all who post there as noobs and ban them from posting so they can watch and learn the regulations.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM