Steam vs Epic

Deleted member 568892

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which do you prefer? Epic tends to be cheaper and offers more free games but I prefer Steam because it supports the Switch Pro controller without any additional setup on my end. In the long run it would probably be cheaper for me to buy an Xbox controller and use Epic.

manfire7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Software wise Steam is king but at the same time I'm not one to turn down a free game regardless of platform. (Pretty sure I digitally "own" a few PS4 games despite never having owned the console) I wish GOG would add their own version of Steam's big picture mode to their launcher but until that happens I usually just launch my games from desktop shortcuts regardless of launcher

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Which do you prefer? Epic tends to be cheaper and offers more free games but I prefer Steam because it supports the Switch Pro controller without any additional setup on my end. In the long run it would probably be cheaper for me to buy an Xbox controller and use Epic.
I like using Epic as a place to get free games but I like Steam more, better features and all that jazz.

However I don't like Epic Bullshit "Exclusively deals", for instance they'll take Scott Pilgrim VS The World The Game, a video game 10 years old, and just make it exclusive despite it being de listed for a long time and not on any other platforms at all (although Ubisoft has to also be blamed for this).

The game has made major strides in accessibility recently with the re-releases last year but the fact it's only on one platform for PC bothers me.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Steam because it supports Linux out of the box (proton and such).

To me it's just a routine to just claim epic's free games at this point. I don't consider it bad by any means... It's just that steam is such a powerhouse in features.

johnMactavish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Latvia
It's a really complicated question. On the one hand, Steam is better in terms of the vastness of the assortment. On the other hand, Epic Games has better prices, more discounts, and frequent giveaways. Personally, I use these two services. But if I have to choose, I'll choose Steam. You have to pay for the fun)

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to elaborate since i came of like an ableist asshole in my first post admittedly
I perfer supporting valve because:
they're responsible for popularizing PC gaming with Steam aka the greatest launcher of all time
they're responsible for many masterpieces including TF2, Half life, L4D2, Portal, and many more
they're a private company (so you know they'll never bow to investors cuz they don't have any to begin with)
their CEO is literally one of the few good CEOs on planet earth
long after making good software they're still innovating with stuff like steam workshop, valve index and the steam deck which is on track to actually popularize linux gaming and put it on the same level as windows (which would be the best thing ever and that's a fucking fact)
not to mention steam is fucking great, it's a chat platform, a social media platform (with none of the toxicity or retardation of places like twitter and reddit) a place to host games, a place to mod games, and most importantly, a place to buy and sell games. It alongside gog should be the only launchers on my desktop, because it's one of the few that actually warrant being a launcher for any reason that isn't insane greed
And despite that people still find reasons to hate Valve despite them contributing a shitton to the game industry.

What has epic done for the gaming industry?
made some admittedly legendary arena shooters (unreal/unreal tournament) throughout their time from the late 90s to early 2000s
immediately took a nosedive when they released gears of bore on the 360
Made unreal engine 4 which is an overhyped, overrated engine that does nothing but make overly "realistic" generic graphics while having shitty physics (every unreal engine before 4 was actually competent)
Made rocket league which is actually a pretty good and fun game in all honesty
cemented their drop in quality with fortnite, which somehow managed to be the game of the late 2010s despite being an unoriginal crappy ugly mess.
oh yeah and just to shit in the PC gamers cereal too, they decided to make a horrible fucking launcher which hasn't even caught up to steam in features, games, community or aesthetic despite being the latter being from fucking 2003, and has the AUDACITY TO SAY "it's for the sake of COMPEITITON" when the only competition they're using is buying exclusivity left and right which does not a good launcher make (and can be circumvented anyways by just pirating the fucking games they make exclusive)
and made UE5 which looks to be more of the same from 4
oh, and they also bought fucking bandcamp too. i loved that site, nice to know they're gonna fuck it 4 years from now or whatever

Reactions: Tomato123

TripleLog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I choose where to buy games only on 1 reason - price. If the Epic can give me great discount - then i'll buy games there, other than that - it's always Steam.

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
to elaborate since i came of like an ableist asshole in my first post admittedly
they're responsible for popularizing PC gaming with Steam aka the greatest launcher of all time
they're responsible for many masterpieces including TF2, Half life, L4D2, Portal, and many more
they're a private company (so you know they'll never bow to investors cuz they don't have any to begin with)
long after making good software they're still innovating with stuff like steam workshop, valve index and the steam deck which is on track to actually popularize linux gaming and put it on the same level as windows (which would be the best thing ever and that's a fucking fact)
not to mention steam is fucking great, it's a chat platform, a social media platform (with none of the toxicity or retardation of places like twitter and reddit) a place to host games, a place to mod games, and most importantly, a place to buy and sell games. It alongside gog should be the only launchers on my desktop, because it's one of the few that actually warrant being a launcher for any reason that isn't insane greed
And despite that people still find reasons to hate Valve despite them contributing a shitton to the game industry.

made some admittedly legendary arena shooters (unreal/unreal tournament) throughout their time from the late 90s to early 2000s
Made unreal engine 4 which is an overhyped, overrated engine that does nothing but make overly "realistic" generic graphics while having shitty physics (every unreal engine before 4 was actually competent)
cemented their drop in quality with fortnite, which somehow managed to be the game of the late 2010s despite being an unoriginal crappy ugly mess.
oh yeah and just to shit in the PC gamers cereal too, they decided to make a horrible fucking launcher which hasn't even caught up to steam in features, games, community or aesthetic despite being the latter being from fucking 2003, and has the AUDACITY TO SAY "it's for the sake of COMPEITITON" when the only competition they're using is buying exclusivity left and right which does not a good launcher make (and can be circumvented anyways by just pirating the fucking games they make exclusive)
oh, and they also bought fucking bandcamp too. i loved that site, nice to know they're gonna fuck it 4 years from now or whatever
Everything about this. Yes. My main issues with Epic is the launcher itself is terrible. They made their game launcher in Unreal Engine 4 for whatever reason so it ends up being laggy.

And the exclusives just piss me off more than anything as I don't want to use their horrible launcher, so I'm forced to pirate the games where I would have happily bought them on a platform like Steam which is not a laggy mess and has many features that are missing on EGL. Forcing people to use your trash isn't competetive, it's annoying. If they want to be competetive, they should give people a very good reason to want to use their service other than "You have no other choice".

Reactions: rantex92

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything about this. Yes. My main issues with Epic is the launcher itself is terrible. They made their game launcher in Unreal Engine 4 for whatever reason so it ends up being laggy.

And the exclusives just piss me off more than anything as I don't want to use their horrible launcher, so I'm forced to pirate the games where I would have happily bought them on a platform like Steam which is not a laggy mess and has many features that are missing on EGL. Forcing people to use your trash isn't competetive, it's annoying. If they want to be competetive, they should give people a very good reason to want to use their service other than "You have no other choice".
I have one question, Why the hell would you make the launcher in UE4 and not chromium of firefox? It's not suppose to be used like that.

Reactions: Tomato123

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

I agree with everything, except the part about gears of War. I enjoyed the hell out of gears 1-3.

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have one question, Why the hell would you make the launcher in UE4 and not chromium of firefox? It's not suppose to be used like that.
As Armadillo said, probably due to it being repurposed as a game launcher and not just for UE engine stuff. But it really shouldn't have been used like that in the first place. UE4 adds a lot of bloat that isn't needed for that use case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Chasers and homophobia.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They're very common on social media.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ik about the phobias Im used to it but what's a chaser
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Whoever you disclose your gender identity to, keep it private between your friends.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    irl or online
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Always is online.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Pretty much.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    eh I don't keep it private, not much happens except idiots on TikTok making a fool of themselves
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    im still curious as to what a chaser is tho
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    A chaser is someone who uses (mostly trans) individuals to their advantage like I said.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    thats weird
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    blahaj will keep me safe
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    damn I forget my school blocks every video
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Right, yeah.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    dune 2 popcorn bucket
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Many schools use some form of firewall or protection, to prevent certain types of content from being viewable.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, And that haha
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school blocks stuff but allows some stuff, its annoying, they legit can see our screens if they want
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Nah. That popcorns got sand in it :(
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There was a time where we were able to bypass the school's network using a VPN that wasn't blocked on the radar. Can't exactly remember the name, but I was able to watch YouTube.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I used to go on proxy sites but I'm too lazy and it isn't worth it
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use