Steam Link app now available on iOS, a year after initially being rejected by App Store

35C9F1D2-CA00-466C-8C17-32A7F368A7FA.png

Last year, Valve released the Steam Link app for mobile, allowing users to stream their PC games to their phone or tablet. Except, a week prior to the release of the iOS version, Apple rejected Steam Link, claiming the app broke “multiple guidelines” of the App Store. Shortly after that, it was announced that the two would be working together to eventually release Steam Link on the platform. That process has taken a full year, with Steam Link having just launched for iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. The major difference between it and the Android version is that when you stream, Steam’s Big Picture Mode launches, showing you features like store pages, community posts, and more. On iOS, those have been stripped down to only show your game library. All you need for Steam Link to work, is to sign into your Steam account, make sure you’re connected to the same network as your PC, and then you’re ready to go. If you’re looking to stream your games on the go, then you’ll want to look into Steam Link Anywhere, which, coincidentally, is not available on iOS at this time.

:arrow: Source

gamecaptor

R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious between this and the upcoming Apple Arcade if we'll see more/better controller options for iOS/tvOS. The idea of firing up the Steam app on my Apple TV and playing on my TV in the living room is pretty appealing with the right controller in hand.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Its a trend that isnt stopping soon. It may be true that most people cant even play them since the internet standard in most countries isnt good enough, but that wont stop companies. We already have stupid stuff like resident evil 7 on switch that is being streamed even though I am certain they could make it run on switch somehow
Ya theres a couple of switch games and maybe even a few mobile games where they tried it, doesnt seem to be catching on.

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ya theres a couple of switch games and maybe even a few mobile games where they tried it, doesnt seem to be catching on.
The internet speeds in most places of the world are just not strong enough. The speeds have to improve first for stuff like this to happen. Even if it works there is lag as well

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The internet speeds in most places of the world are just not strong enough. The speeds have to improve first for stuff like this to happen. Even if it works there is lag as well
its not just getting it to work, its the whole idea of something that isnt really all that feasible. Many companies do things just because they can and then try to find a way to sell it later, this is something apple doesnt do and the reason why they arent offering game streaming services. i could actually see us get to the point where all the game data is online and your device just processes it locally

Last edited by kevin corms,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.