"Steam is coming to Linux" @michaellarabel

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by prowler, Apr 26, 2012.

Apr 26, 2012
  1. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Michael Larabel founder of some Linux site Phoronix had a tour and talk at Valve, here's what he has to say:
    [​IMG]
    here's his article http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_linux_dampfnudeln&num=1

via

1 person likes this.
  2. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I guess Gabe Newell wanted his piece of the Linux Market pie.

3. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Uh yeah, I saw the development screens of L4D2 being ported to Linux. Isn't this old news?

4. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

so when Steam becomes compatible with Linux, I believe that doesnt necessarily mean that all existing games on the library will be linux compatible too ?
    will it be limited to a specific range of games?

5. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    i would imagine so going by the way they do things with macs, but on the plus side if you bought a windows version of a game they would usually give you the mac version free

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Interesting. I suppose that they have a mac version means it was mainly some logistics and build stuff going into making a linux version (I say some but if that quote above is anything to go by this is probably a hell of a lot of effort which is commendable).

@ Costello yeah I can not imagine they beat wine into shape (although I guess DX9 over there is looking half decent these days) or otherwise provided an emulation layer or even something for developers to do a quick recompile with but they have pushed the openGL stuff harder for games than it had been in years previous. My main question though is if they approached the big two about some drivers or some such as I can see some stuff happening there which would be interesting.

7. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The day Valve releases a working steam client for Linux with L4D2, and TF2 will be the day I can finally give true serious thought to dropping windows. I've been trying to give up windows for years, but with windows 8 on the horizon it's looking more and more like the switch will be in the next couple years.

I do have one of my two laptops as a full time Mint box, but it's a non-gaming system so the switch was easy. Being able to play some of my favorite games (with hopes of many more since Linux ports shouldn't be any more difficult than Mac) and AMD's linux drivers FINALLY starting to be half-way decent can push me over the edge for that easily.

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Well koji2009 there are ports of those two for the mac that allow crossplay (well I know l4d2 does) so you might well be getting your wish.

What I am probably banking on more though is some of the more interesting things happening in virtualisation- if we are stuck with the current consoles or equivalents and those as lead platforms for another couple of years and things carry on as is the overhead reductions and underlying hardware might well make 3d games possible.