Steam Greenlight now greenlighted

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Guild McCommunist, Aug 30, 2012.

Aug 30, 2012
  1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    [​IMG]

Steam's community vetting service, Steam Greenlight, is now online.

Greenlight is a democratic vetting system for indie games aspiring for a Steam release. Users can see screenshots, videos, and other related media to a would-be release and vote either for or against it. This new initiative allows many independent developers to get a Steam release for their game without the need of a large publisher or middle man involved.

The Greenlight service launched with a few notable games, such as recent Kickstarter-funded Giana Sisters game Project Giana. You can view a full list of titles at the source and vote for them on Steam.

:arrow: Source

2 people like this.
  2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I like this idea, I wish the likes of Nintendo would adopt it...well seeing that they're behind with all internet related things it'll be the 3DS/Wii U successors that will implement it.

3. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Also, everyone with a Steam account upvote Giana Sisters, that shit looks awesome.

4. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    People should vote up Mutant Mudds too, I have no idea why Valve rejected it. Seems like people are up voting really generic shooters and really amateur homebrew titles more than that,

1 person likes this.
  5. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    For some reason I am not surprised. I shall upvote Mutant Mudds.

6. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    I didn't even see Mutant Mudds. I upvoted Project Giana though.

I'll vote for Mutant Mudds even though I haven't played it. I heard it's a very worthwhile game on the 3DS and it seems like it deserves a Steam release.

7. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Some really cool looking games in there. I've voted for a few, including Mutant Mudds. Sweet addition Steam.

8. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I had a quick gander earlier when there was only 25 titles, i see there are now over 300 titles to rate.

1 person likes this.
  9. Xenirina

Member Xenirina Scener

Australia
    Liking the look of this.
    Think it would be very good for small-time developers show what they made of. (Like Mojang)

10. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    Notch has too big of an ego and thinks Steam is evil or something. It's very doubtful that Minecraft will ever come to Steam.

11. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Steam's policy on updates and community involvement and modding and such wouldn't originally allow Minecraft to work the way the devs like.

Now that Steam's grown and added more features and relaxed the policies a bit Minecraft is technically viable, but they don't want Steam cutting into their sales when they have their own sale thing that's working as it is.

"But there's a port on xbox live and Microsoft charge a good cut on that." - Unlike PC, they don't have a choice to get it on the 360 officially.

12. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    It's not real democracy; Gabe still oversees all as Steam's benevolent dictator.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

2 people like this.
  13. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Some idiot already posted Half-Life 3 on there... I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later.

14. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    Yeah there are a lot of fakes there, some people are even posting games they don't have the rights to just because they want them on the service like the piss poor port of RE4. I've found a couple of titles I've not heard of like Bean's Quest but like that game a lot are iOS/Android ports. At one point I thought I was on the Play store. There's many clones and shockingly amateur games that are stealing assets from other games.

This was bound to be an issue and now there is too much crap to sift through for me to bother now.

15. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I noticed this through a quick browse. I only caught Project Giana and Mutant Mudds by sheer luck. Most of it looks like Xbox Live Indies quality or worse.

I think there should be a requirement that a gameplay demo must be presented to show the game's authenticity and quality. A game may look great on screenies and videos but it could really be shit. I voted for Project Giana because I played the demo and I voted for Mutant Mudds because I heard it was great from others.

I mean the service is just starting up and see Valve refining more as it goes along. However it is "community vetting" though and that means everything gets through.

EDIT: And I'm also hoping Zineth gets on the service. I posted about it a while back but it's a rather strong game made by a bunch of students. For their maiden voyage it's very good. A Greenlight release really could help them.

16. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    I only voted 3 games and damn tons of those RPG games are obviously RPG maker made game. Come on give us something better. There is already tons of those games out there for free!

17. lizard81288

Member lizard81288 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I’ve voted for a lot of games. My 1st game was Giana Sisters and then Mutant Mudds. Shoot, I even gave $15 to the Project Giana Sisters Kickstarter. I noticed there seem to be a lot of IOS-like games. There are also a lot of retro graphic looking games too, which I don’t really care for. Right now, there are 18 pages...ugh. So much voting to do.