Gaming Steam and DRM

eltrut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I want to buy Recettear but if I buy it on Steam will it add DRM? I like to have backups of all my games on a external harddrive or a USB and if possible have it so I can drag and drop folders with installed games between USBs and computers.

This page says that it wont have DRM normally, which I think it probably wont as most of the Japanese indie games I play don't.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The Steam page does not mention any additional DRM, but I think it'd be fair to assume that it'll be protected by Steamworks meaning that you'll need to be logged into your Steam account to play the game. That does not stop you from copying its folders for backup purposes though.

Something worth mentioning is that some Steam games doesn't even come with Steamworks protection meaning that they can be freely copied without problems, however until the game is released there's no telling whether or not the Steam release will feature Steamworks or not.

The demo from Steam appears to play just fine without Steam running though.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Many steam games only require you to be logged onto Steam to launch the game, but after that take no role in the game's operation (other than the community center accessible via a preconfigured hotkey). I often use this to my advantage to launch a game on one computer, log off, log in onto another computer, then launch the game again to play multiplayer.

This doesn't work with every game though, as some games will force you out of the game if you log off.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Some Steam games do not require Steam to be running.

eg most games that use Dosbox (The older games in the id Super Pack etc) can be run without Steam.

eltrut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks all, I think i'll just give steam a miss and go with Diablo1123's link, I saw it before but thought stem would save me two dollars /cheapskate
tongue.gif

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
Anyone with the Steam version of Recettear? Planning to buy a copy just to support them, I'd like to have it on Steam, but would also like a DRM free copy. Can you just drag the Steam version out and put it on a USB drive or something? Or perhaps modify the files a little?
I do not have the Steam version, but I will find out for you =D
More than likely, it is just the .exe that is different.

edit:
Yes it does have DRM like I said, if you replace the exe with the DRM-free one. That's normally the only change.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1