Stay with RXtool or try AL9H?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Harsky, May 19, 2016.

1. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    On a faulty 3DS with a broken cartridge slot, I used that to try out 3DS CFW and managed to install RXtool, set up emunand and finally get it to do what I wanted. 3DS games. Unfortunately it had more problems than I thought (charging port was no longer working) so I just bought a spare broken screen 3DS and used the motherboard from that to repair my one which leads me to this question:

RXtool seemed simple to set up and was enough to give me the basics feature that I wanted but AL9H on the other hand is newer but the setup time seems longer. Is there any real difference between the two if all I want is to play 3DS roms?

2. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat vegtebales

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    If you're only bothered about 3DS roms, stick with rxtools unless you want your 3ds to take 10 seconds less to boot. Or if you want more space on your SD for roms, you can switch to a9lh and use your sysnand for all your roms.

3. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    Use a9lh its worth it and luma3ds is better than a dead cfw

4. Baccabechoppin

Baccabechoppin GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    I mean if it's a faulty console that you don't care for much what harm could installing A9LH do? (Unless it's the only one you own), if you have another main system then I'd say go for it, you probably wouldn't lose much anyway.

5. nickwhit

nickwhit GBAtemp Fan

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    A9LH is safer, can be updated to use newer system versions and CFWs, and is a more permanent solution.
    Only reason not to upgrade is inability to read or work a computer.

6. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Quoting myself here.
    So to answer your question "Is there any real difference between the two", well yeah, one is a CFW and not the other one :P

Anyways, a9lh>menuhax and Luma>rxTools, but whatever suits you. If you somehow have 100% bootrate with menuhax and if you only care about 3DS roms (not DS or GBA and stuff), then your setup works. Not the best one that can be but it works.

7. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    "Stay with a 1990 Toshiba laptop or move to a 2016 MacBook Pro?"

8. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    A lot of people get a bit religious about A9LH, and an awful lot of people look down on those who still use older exploits such as menuhax or MSET. I have A9LH and I love it - I'd never go back, but it doesn't actually do too much that existing exploits could not per say. It's a boot-time exploit meaning your console will permenently be in 'exploited' mode as soon as you press the power button, and also no need to use an EmuNAND. If this is appealing (which for me, it certainly was), go for it.

9. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    when you install it take your time. don't get rushed just because people say it's safe. if you make a slight error it can brick your device. read the instructions carefully, and if you don't understand them perfectly then don't do it. can always ask for more help on the forum.

10. nickwhit

nickwhit GBAtemp Fan

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Also, and almost most importantly, since the exploit happens before boot.. You gain the ability to load Decrypt9 and other tools directly from boot..
    This allows for brick recovery that isnt possible with any other exploit.. and is an amazing safety feature every CFW/homebrew 3DS user should have.