Hacking StartPatch 4.3.1 help

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,985
  • Replies 10
D

Deleted User

OP
I'm trying to set up a PAL Wii so that it will give me the option on start up to boot to disc, HBC or wii menu so that a Wii Remote isn't required to operate the console (as I am going to give it to my brother but don't have any spare wii remotes to include) and play discs from any region.

I ran startpatch on my PAL Wii and enabled region free discs and the recovery mode thing. but whenI try to run Budokai 2 (my only NTSC game) my TV says 576i 50Hz and i get a black screen. My PAL discs work fine.
Presumably the problem is that it's trying to run a NTSC game in 50hz which the game doesn't support. how do I fix this?

Also, the recovery menu doesn't show up when I hold up on my GC pad in slot 4

Does anyone have any recommendations?

D

Deleted User

OP
still getting black screen on budokai 2, nor can I find the option to boot directly to disc

I suppose I could just write down instructions for my brother to use preloader to open homebrew channel to load a disc booting app from there. Problem is then I'd have to provide an SD card.

D

Deleted User

OP
Update: My Wii is bricked (all I touched was the region free stuff hacks). I can access Priiloader by holding reset.
I just use load/install file to install my NAND backup right?

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Priiloader is the successor of preloader and no, you don't need an SD card to boot to it

Edit: no, you need bootmii to restore nand backup

D

Deleted User

OP
Priiloader is the successor of preloader and no, you don't need an SD card to boot to it

Edit: no, you need bootmii to restore nand backup
"preloader" was a typo. I'm using priiloader.
How do I boot up homebrew apps without an SD card? cos the GC booter app on my SD card is the only thing that will run Budokai 2

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
to run homebrew app, you need an SD card or a HDD or you have the app already installed as a Channel on real nand (and the homebrew doesn't access SD/USB for settings etc.)

D

Deleted User

OP
to run homebrew app, you need an SD card or a HDD or you have the app already installed as a Channel on real nand (and the homebrew doesn't access SD/USB for settings etc.)
So maybe what I need is a hack to use a GameCube controller in the Wii menu and install the GCBoot app as a channel.

And NAND unbricked itself somehow btw.

Is there perhaps some sort of homebrew OS I can install for the Wii to boot straight to that lets me use GC controllers and I can boot region free Wii/GC discs and channels from?

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I haven't use discs for ages but I believe you can set your Wii to autoboot discs inserted.
You can set Priiloader to region free. Yes Priiloader hacks setting can be unstable when mixed with each other. Just try them one at a time (just set only GC region free to on in your case)

You can set Priiloader to boot directly to a homebrew app but still you need an SD card.

You said Budokai boots to a black screen?
That can be many reason:
You disc is bad or
the game is just incompatible with GCbooter or
the game is protected or somehow just won't work with off region consoles

SD cards are cheap and can save you a lot of troubles.

D

Deleted User

OP
I haven't use discs for ages but I believe you can set your Wii to autoboot discs inserted.
You can set Priiloader to region free. Yes Priiloader hacks setting can be unstable when mixed with each other. Just try them one at a time (just set only GC region free to on in your case)

You can set Priiloader to boot directly to a homebrew app but still you need an SD card.

You said Budokai boots to a black screen?
That can be many reason:
You disc is bad or
the game is just incompatible with GCbooter or
the game is protected or somehow just won't work with off region consoles

SD cards are cheap and can save you a lot of troubles.
It works with GCbooter but not the priiloader hack. I've tried various combinations on priiloader. I've noticed when I get the black screen my TV switches to 50Hz mode (like it does with PAL GC games before I select the 60hz option) so the problem seems to be that my wii is ignoring the region coding but trying to run NTSC games as PAL games. Maybe I need some sort of menu to tell it whether it should boot GC games in 60hz or 50hz

I'll go over what I'm trying to do again

I want to give my Wii and SSBB to my brother who isn't tech savy, my only spare controllers I can give him is a GC controller.
So I need the Wii to boot straight to disc if a button is held on the GC controller, I'm not giving him Budokai 2 but I would like it to play NTSC discs to make it easier for him to buy used games for it.
I can get it to run NTSC GC games via GCBooter and could just leave GC booter and a Wii Booter on HBC for him (with the Wii set to boot to HBC on startup) but I don't have a spare SD card to part with.

In short. I need to get it to boot any region Wii and GC game with just a GC controller and no SD cards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: