Starting to build a new PC- Help needed

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Jiehfeng, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Jiehfeng
    OP

Jiehfeng Wu-Wei

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Finding that out myself.
    Getting ready for a fakin' new pc. I know all the parts I need to get but the PSU and maybe a computer case, DVD Writer and GPU.

These are the parts I'm hoping to get:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K (3.4GHZ-3.8GHZ/Quad Core)
    GPU: Intergrated Graphics of the CPU, I'll buy one later, only hoping to play old games.
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H (has the LGA 1150 socket)
    RAM: Corsair DDR3 1600MHZ 8GB (x2-4GB)
    HDD: WD- 1TB/6GB/s/7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA

Yeah, so do these all match up? Like will it work together? If it will then great.
    A PSU, DVD Writer and a computer case is what confuses me.
    The current computer case I have has a size of:

CASE.png

Will all the parts fit in this case?

I have a DVD Writer occupying this computer right now, it's the Samsung TruDirect SH-S223.
    Will this work with the new parts I'm getting? And yeah, this fits in the CPU case I showed previously.

And then the last part I need, a PSU. I don't know how do I check to see what PSU I need to buy.
    I saw these PSU calculators on the internet, I tried one but it's a tad confusing for me.
    If you guys answer these questions I'll be greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

Celice likes this.
  2. RandomOddness

RandomOddness GBAtemp Regular

Sep 16, 2010
    All the parts will be fine together, the DVD writer will also work without any issues, I can't guarantee the case will hold an ATX motherboard so I'd buy a mid-tower or full tower depending on your preference, stick to a name brand PSU, you might be able to get away with a coolermaster case+PSU combo if you wish, just stick to a 550W+ PSU if you intend to add a good GPU later.

Jiehfeng likes this.
  3. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    If you post a pic of the inside of the case, we can confirm if it will fit an ATX motherboard (or if it's one of the variants like BTX or ITX).

Edit: on another read... For working out the PSU requirements, you will be using less than 300W so a 450W PSU would be more than enough. Should you get a graphics card, it would still be enough for any low to mid range graphics cards. If you opt for a high end graphics card, you'd need to get at least 550W. And make sure you get it from a good brand (a no-brand PSU is a dangerous fire hazard).

4. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    I use a SSD as my boot drive

5. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Dec 26, 2008
    Steam City
    If you only want to play old games, a weaker cpu and less ram would work just fine. xP

6. Jiehfeng
    OP

Jiehfeng Wu-Wei

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Finding that out myself.

Hey you know I didn't mean that totally... ;O;

7. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    The only big thing about PSUs I know is to get good brand names, as the off-brands sometimes die. I once got an Antec and it died about forty minutes after putting it in, and thankfully, nothing else died with it.

8. Jiehfeng
    OP

Jiehfeng Wu-Wei

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Finding that out myself.

I've been using this PSU for a very long time, I guess it must be a brand name. Once I buy all the parts, which will be tomorrow, I'll open the computer case and check the watts and stuff.

9. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Which Antec series PSU?
    Some are great like the High Current Gamer M and NeoEco series

10. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Corsair's pretty reliable, a 650 W PSU is what I use and runs like a charm :P

11. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    I don't remember, but I took a gamble with a very cheap one after rebate. Probably got to <$30. Shoulda knew better :P

12. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Antec, like many PSU MFRs, are rebranded from other companies. The cheap ones are from worse companies than their mid and upper range.

I tend to stick to Corsair for midrange and Enermax for high end systems. Also, Corsair are rebranded Seasonic (which are very good as well).

Celice likes this.
  13. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    I thought Corsair started to drop some SeaSonic PSUs after they became popular?

Anywho here's a full list of current SeaSonic rebrands in the market.

Antec - High Current Gamer M, True Power Classic, NeoEco (520w, 620w)
    Corsair - HX650w, AX760, AX860
    PC Power & Cooling - Silencer, Silencer Mk III up to 600w, the rest are Super Flower PSUs. Note Mk II seres are not SeaSonics rebrands
    XFX - Everything.

14. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    That must apply to the newer ranges then. The ones I've been working with were always Seasonic rebrands. Either way, both are good.