Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
RF0EYO1.jpg
According to many reports across the web as well as the recently released screenshots, Windows 8.1, codenamed "Blue" will mark the return of the long-lost Start Menu button. Users who want one will no longer be forced to download third-party software to re-implement it. Moreover, the system will give users the option to boot straight into desktop rather than the Metro menu. The system is said to be "all about customization", and the implemented changes reflect that, giving you a lot more control over how the GUI looks like. The system will be released as a free preview upgrade on the first day of Build.​
:arrow: Source

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I could have sworn I read this a week or two ago in the USN... Good news though for Win8 users. :toot:

Really? How odd... the news sites I browse only reported it a few hours ago... In any case, yay for those who wanted it back. :yay: I'm more excited for the "boot to Desktop" feature, personally, it should've been an option available from the start.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Really? How odd... the news sites I browse only reported it a few hours ago... In any case, yay for those who wanted it back. :yay:
It was "leaked" a week or so ago by an anonymous dev leaking a picture of the dev version of Windows 8.1 IIRC. The more official version came out today :P

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
There Microsoft. That wasn't so hard now was it? LOL

Anyway, from what I read, it still redirects you to the Start Page. I fear that some people may start jumping the gun and think the old Start Menu itself is coming back.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It was "leaked" a week or so ago by an anonymous dev leaking a picture of the dev version of Windows 8.1 IIRC. The more official version came out today :P

Ah, alright then. I must've missed the rumour mill and just read the more "official" statement. :P

There Microsoft. That wasn't so hard now was it? LOL

Anyway, from what I read, it still redirects you to the Start Page. I fear that some people may start jumping the gun and think the old Start Menu itself is coming back.
It can do that or it can pull out a standard Start Menu. ;)

Thurrott, who has access to the Milestone Preview build of Windows 8.1, reports that hovering over the Start button will cause it to change colors “with a black background and the accent color used on the flag logo.” It’ll look just like the Start Charm and it cannot be turned off (not that you’d want to after finally getting it back!).

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Actually what surprises me is how people cling so much to the start menu. I hopped to OS X in 2010 (ie. bought my MBP for home and Uni use compared to my old WinXP machine) and it lacks the start menu. While I can see the Metro UI as annoying for those who don't prefer that kind of UI, the start menu is far from the best option available. It's easily used and such, but personally I like the Dock interface of OS X.

Reactions: _acid_

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used Windows 8 for a long time now, I personally like not having a start button. I've gotten use to pressing the Windows key to switch between the desktop and start screen, it's just a lot faster.

I still like Windows 8 the best of all Windows, it just takes a good week or two to get used to, and another 3-4 days to customize it to your liking. Once it's all done though, it's so damn good. :yay:

If that Start button is required for 8.1, I just won't update to it. If it's optional and you can disbable it, I'll be getting it for the other features that I'm looking forward to that no one is reporting.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard somewhere that even though the Start button is back, it doesn't bring up the start menu. Clicking the Start Button will simply open Metro.

Could be mistaken though.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think this is an update. The original news claimed the start button can only launch the metro menu while this news claims you can customize the start menu to your liking.
The Start button still launches the "Metro" Start screen, but Microsoft has made it more customizable.

I personally think the option to make the Start screen's background match your wallpaper is going to make a noticeable difference on how it feels to use (it'll feel less like a completely separated menu and more seamless with the desktop mode). Also, some people are probably going to like the new tile resizing options.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The Start button still launches the Metro "Start" screen, but Microsoft has made it more customizable.

I personally think the option to make the Start screen's background match your wallpaper is going to make a noticeable difference on how it feels to use (it'll feel less like a completely separated menu and more seamless with the desktop mode). Also, some people are probably going to like the new tile resizing options.
That's a bummer, oh well.

D

Deleted_171835

I could get Windows 8.1 to take advantage of the Start Menu only in name and the "improved UI".

Or I could continue using Windows 7.

Yeah...I think I'll stick with Windows 7.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They actually stopped using the name "Metro"...the Windows 8 start screen is simply called the 'Start Screen', and Metro apps are called 'Windows 8 apps'.
And it gets so much undeserved hate. Is it really that bad to have all your apps on one screen instead of scrolling through a menu list?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Mj you are the father