Start Button returns in Windows 8.1 "Blue"

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've used Windows all my life. I had a rig running 2000 and then upgraded to XP, my moms PC ran Win 7 (which I used to do a great deal of my work on.) and my current Laptop uses Win8. It took me about a hour to learn how to use it, and a week to get used to it. Its seriously not that confusing to use.

If anything, I found Start menu replacements like Classic Shell to be annoying and harder to set up and use then the new screen itself. The only replacement I still have is Start 8 so I boot to desktop and disable the hot corners in it. The actual button just opens up the Metro search screen.

Just use the Start menu, as a start menu. Thats all.
Setting up StartIsBack was easy, but I still wasn't completely comfortable with Win8 after using it for a month. I don't like how some of the UI is now metro-only.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Setting up StartIsBack was easy, but I still wasn't completely comfortable with Win8 after using it for a month. I don't like how some of the UI is now metro-only.

Like, PC settings for instance? Yeah, I'm still a bit annoyed by how some important things are integrated into Metro (the soft-power button) but I've grown used to it. Once you learn the new win key commands its becomes a snap.

Also, another thing I don't think people understand, things like media (pictures and music) can be accessed without the app, all you have to do is reset what applications the file type is associated with.

I might start believing in win 8 again

Goddammit man! We have enough Popcorn!

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

I'm actually the other way.

I don't like how 'unfinished' the Metro side of things is. Like, to do anything detailed with networking (assigning static ip, vpn for example), you have to go to the desktop and continue in the 'old way'. I mean - how does that work on a RT Tablet? No desktop mode on there so there must be a 'metro' way of setting these things up? There's no way Microsoft are going to convince people to use Metro if you're forced back to the desktop all the time.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got a new laptop with Windows 8 and I actually quite like the Start menu as it is. I just added toolbars on the desktop for anything I wanted especially quick access to...

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Good... now maybe people will ask me less often to uninstall Windows 8 from their machines and help them install Win 7 over it... just maybe. Let's be clear here, outside of a select part of the nerd community, normal people fucking hate this interface. They truly do. They feel lost and can't get anything accomplished intuitively after months of use. And funny enough this interface was supposed to have the "Apple simplicity", or rather be retarded and limited like iOS is... well... try again.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good... now maybe people will ask me less often to uninstall Windows 8 from their machines and help them install Win 7 over it... just maybe. Let's be clear here, outside of a select part of the nerd community, normal people fucking hate this interface. They truly do. They feel lost and can't get anything accomplished intuitively after months of use. And funny enough this interface was supposed to have the "Apple simplicity", or rather be retarded and limited like iOS is... well... try again.

How is it limited? Its still Windows, and how is it hard to click a tile that says Desktop and even has a picture of your background!? Man, I just don't understand people :glare:

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How is it limited? Its still Windows, and how is it hard to click a tile that says Desktop and even has a picture of your background!? Man, I just don't understand people :glare:

in that its entire aim is to be simpler? And that we are talking about system configuration, not launching Notepad?

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

in that its entire aim is to be simpler? And that we are talking about system configuration, not launching Notepad?

What do you mean by system configuration? Even if your working in corporate conditions, it doesnt mean your going to have to launch into Device Manager every time you boot up the system. And even then, its a simple task of typing on the Start Screen.

And why are you putting question marks behind statements?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up